Morris-Commercial PU8 ..how many still exist ?

goanna

I'm not sure ,but maybe 50 worldwide ... For some reason .. very few of the 8 cwt's have survived compared to the 15 cwt range .. I believe only a single Ford WOC1 exists .. and that has a repro body on it .

Sadly, I know of a good MCC PU8 chassis that was scrapped here recently ..by a MV collector no less.

Mike

• 1 year later...
Not many compared to the 15cwt is a good bet. You seem to have a lot more down under from reading MLU.I only know of 2 in the UK personally.

Four in UK as i recall. me , Rory, RLC example that was being preped for the dunkirk trip and beltring, and one other that was procured from the museum in scotland, rather nice as it was original condition complete with african plates etc, not sure on that one as i believe the guy who bought it may have passed away. I did not see it at last years beltring and it was present on the previous two years on the trot.

Any one who has definatley got one how about a hands up posting to keep track of em ??

It could be attached to the morris gallery as a known link, same applies to the 15 cwt types.

Regards

Tim

Four in UK as i recall. me , Rory, RLC example that was being preped for the dunkirk trip and beltring, and one other that was procured from the museum in scotland, rather nice as it was original condition complete with african plates etc, not sure on that one as i believe the guy who bought it may have passed away. I did not see it at last years beltring and it was present on the previous two years on the trot.

Any one who has definatley got one how about a hands up posting to keep track of em ??

It could be attached to the morris gallery as a known link, same applies to the 15 cwt types.

Regards

Tim

I know of two but then one appeared at Beltring in 2007 while we were there with the Aero screen Bedford that obviously hadn't seen the light of day for a while but unfortunately its' owner had passed away and Rex Cadman was selling it on behalf of the family - We tried to buy it but missed out - It looked fairly complete and was finished in sand paintwork and if I remember rightly the reg number was KBB121 I will try and dig some photo's out - Does anyone know where this ended up?? cheers:coffee:

I can ask Rex, I'm seeing him fairly soon. I remember it too, very original looking and an arabic plate on the front - awesome. The RLC one didn't make the dunkirk event. was never going to.. they rang me about 2 weeks before asking about tyres! I took my '37 CS8 though, which was well rec'd.

Isn't there a MCC PU in Holland somewhere? I though there was, but maybe I'm wrong (again!)

simon

I can ask Rex, I'm seeing him fairly soon. I remember it too, very original looking and an arabic plate on the front - awesome. The RLC one didn't make the dunkirk event. was never going to.. they rang me about 2 weeks before asking about tyres! I took my '37 CS8 though, which was well rec'd.

Isn't there a MCC PU in Holland somewhere? I though there was, but maybe I'm wrong (again!)

simon

Hi Simon - Yes that's the one it had a bent arabic plate on the front and the canvases were just starting to let go but it was still a good find - I would be interested to see where it ended up going to if you could ask and get back to me cheers:coffee:

For some reason .. very few of the 8 cwt's have survived compared to the 15 cwt range

Mike,

Being vehicles used in the early stages of war, it seems quite a number were captured. Of course, the 8-cwt class was no longer of real use from halfway during the war. The first ones must have been sold off during the war, and basically were used till they fell apart. Also, being of less sturdy construction, I think the chances of an 8-cwt surviving the rigours of war and civilian life afterwards were decidedly smaller than the sturdier 15-cwt truck class and up?

AFAIK, there are no M-C 8-cwts in Holland, but I would like to be proven otherwise. Quite a number of 8-cwt CMPs, though.

Hanno

Edited by Bodge Deep

Mike,

Being vehicles used in the early stages of war, it seems quite a number were captured. Of course, the 8-cwt class was no longer of real use from halfway during the war. The first ones must have been sold off during the war, and basically were used till they fell apart. Also, being of less sturdy construction, I think the chances of an 8-cwt surviving the rigours of war and civilian life afterwards were decidedly smaller than the sturdier 15-cwt truck class and up?

AFAIK, there are no M-C 8-cwts in Holland, but I would like to be proven otherwise. Quite a number of 8-cwt CMPs, though.

Hanno

Nice pic hanno, two questions ...can i copy it for my archive as its actually in the counter scheme and secondley can you ask the german pilot to move to one side ??:D

Regards

Tim

simon

Hi Simon, shame the pu never made it but glad that yours did, look forward to reading the article. I assume they managed to sort the rest out on the PU as i understand it needed a brake overhaul and a brake pedal. Thinking outside the box they could have put landrover rims on the vehicle and got fresh rubber that way, mines fitted like that at the moment and the curcumference of the tyre is the same as the original as makes no difference with the old type speedo,s.

I shall come and annoy you if the CS8 is at beltring.

Regards

Tim

Nice pic hanno, two questions ...can i copy it for my archive as its actually in the counter scheme and secondley can you ask the german pilot to move to one side ??:D

Tim,

Help yourself, it is not mine, came across it on the web somewhere.

As for your second question, let's see if this works: Achtung - Deutsch Pilot zur Seite bewegen! :D

Hanno

MODERATOR - ACTION REQUIRED: could you please remove the picture from my posting above?

A forum member has asked me to delete it from here as he recently bought that picture of the Morris PU 8-cwt, but I do not know how to do that myself. I did find it on another internet forum (which I have pointed out to him), but I do not want to start quarrelling over copyright.

Thanks in advance!

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

Mike,

Hanno

The 8cwt along with the 30cwt were phased out early on in the war, about 1941, thats why there isn't many pu's about same as the oxd's. The 15cwt's were produced right through the war so there's more of them.

Does anyone know how many mcc pu's were made?

OK, let's kick-start some pictures of the survivors. Here are a couple of "811FUF". I don't know what became of the other vehicle. Can anyone give an update?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28745[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28746[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28747[/ATTACH]

811 FUF in present guise, dont know about the other one

CIMG4350.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
The one with arabic plates is up for sale: http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=53143&cat=3

When they describe their PU as a C8, it makes you wonder what else they don't know...

Hi , The pu/8 on Milweb is the one that Rex Cadman sold for the family of the deceased owner at the 2007 War and Peace Show - I tried to buy it at the time but didn't get hold of Rex in time before it sold for approx £5k i believe - A friend of mine has told me today that it is up for sale now for £10k! I haven't had chance to ring the chap yet to see if the price is correct but it doesn't appear to have altered too much in the last 3 years , not that the picture is too clever - At least it doesn't appear to have got any worse and still wears those lovely balloon tyres ! :coffee:

Hi , The pu/8 on Milweb is the one that Rex Cadman sold for the family of the deceased owner at the 2007 War and Peace Show

I knew the chap, he was Editor of the IMPS magazine for a long time. He bought that Morris and a Morris light ambulance at an auction, if I recollect it had been part of the Myreton Motor Museum collection.

The one with arabic plates is up for sale: http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=53143&cat=3

When they describe their PU as a C8, it makes you wonder what else they don't know...

AH, there it is. I remember seeing it at Beltring in 2007, but before I could take any pictures it was gone. If I remember correctly it was only there on Wednesday and Thursday.

Seemed like a nice truck which needed some small TLC and some repairs to the canvas.

@ Tim Gray. Which brand and type of tires do you have on your PU?

Alex

Hi Alex

Sorry about the brand of tyre but i cant rember, chinese manufacturer and the PU is away getting canvased up.

Wheel rims are 16 inch landy rims but they have been modified to fit and i am a bit iffy about them ( they have horrible diamond cut outs in them anyway and the valve has to be on the inside of the rim to fit)

I have four replacements to fit that are 16 inch but they have got 7.5x16 non directional military rubber on them now. Not strictly cosher for a PU but my wartime 9x13,s are to far gone to drive on ( common problem i suspect) Curcumference of the new ones is the same as the original so no problem with the speedo.

I can post pic of new wheels if you want but dont ask me what they fitted originally as i dont have a clue :D

Regards

Tim

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Well ,we have a PU8 at the RLC Museum at Deepcut in Surrey. It was to be restored for the 50th Anniversary of Dunkirk but Andy Robertshaw , the then Curator , thought it only needed the brakes fixing ,and allowed us ( Seven Volunteers) seven sessions of of four hours to complete it ?

Unfortunately it had , in addition to all four wheel cylinders seized, the brake servo leaking copiously , the exhaust system you could read a newspaper through it, the steering was shot , Two of the six cylinders reading 20 PSI compression,( Exhaust valves !) water pump leaking volumes, the Autovac (Fuel!) System defunct. The ignition system had the wrong C/B set and a Duff coil.the bottom third of both front wings rusted through and falling off. Front track rod severely bent. Dynamo "Hors de Combat" ! And the Bonnet and side engine panels dented and bent !Oh - yes - and the wiper blade was not connected to anything. It took us 18 months to restore it in the process having to make the missing parts of the front wings out of 3 mm sheet steel, panel beating the bonnet and side panels, sourcing replacement exhaust valves ( Yes , and we do know the Inlets are the same !!)taking the engine apart and putting it back together. Autovac repair , new c/B's , condenser and coil. Water pump, repaired Stainless steel exhaust new hydraulics and Tyres.

And , of course , Paint it ! But we have all been there , haven't we ?!! In addition to this we also had to restore a Bedford tanker, A Scammell "Horse", an eager Beaver , a Snatch landrover and a 1927 Crossley Kegresse ! Plus a diesel motorbike.

We now have added two "Pigs" ( one we are robbing for spares) and are awaiting our latest acquisition ,another animal - Duck.! There are now just five of us !

As well as this we drive the vehicles to local events - RLC Corps and family Days, RMA sandhurst ,Camberley, north camp , etc, etc !

OK - when we have received our new Tilt cover - after we have made a new tilt frame from one inch mild steel - we shall fit it. Then ,one and all, you may have a new picture of it !!