What's the best Military Museum in the UK

Depends what you want. Vehicles or dioramas & that sort of thing or research. Dioramas seem to be crowd pullers & all that. But for the most part I find them a hindrance to seeing a vehicle properly or even getting close to it. As far as research goes generally the smaller the museum the better the help.

One thing that seems to be rare these days is Regimental Museums. Could this be due to the amalgamation of all the regiments?

I remember visiting the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry museum some years ago which was really good and staffed by ex-DCLI men. I'm not sure which town it was in.

I sort of guessed this one was what you meant and it is indeed a fantastic collection displayed in an excellent location,I was particularly impressed by the large and varied display of ww2 British helmets including many unusual ones from the home front

Nigel

Don't forget the National Army musuem at chelsea as well! that's Free, and the archive is mangnifcent. Also Deepcut Royal Logistic Corps Musuem at Camberley. We have to convince Andy Robertshaw to do a vehicle show there!

The National Army Museum is good, but they don't allow photography. Do other people on this Forum know of other Museums that ban photography?

Quite a lot, the modern hall (Cold War) at Firepower is one such. In that case there are a lot of period illustrations that is copyright material. Some materials are very sensitive to light, and in some cases, obnoxious photographers and the selling of images has put the block on. Often a serious talk with the staff, and some proof that you are a genuine, knowledgable person can get round things.

Quite a lot, the modern hall (Cold War) at Firepower is one such. In that case there are a lot of period illustrations that is copyright material. Some materials are very sensitive to light, and in some cases, obnoxious photographers and the selling of images has put the block on. Often a serious talk with the staff, and some proof that you are a genuine, knowledgable person can get round things.

Never heard that one, I have plenty of photos from that area! Could be because whenever i've been in that area, the hall itself is deserted. I'd have to go for Firepower actually, it's in a very nice redeveloped area next to the Thames, everything's presented very well and no instrusive barriers, good cafe and very good toilets, exhibits in fantastic condition and easy to get photos of. Only downside is not enough heavy WW1 artillery!

• 2 weeks later...
One thing that seems to be rare these days is Regimental Museums. Could this be due to the amalgamation of all the regiments?

The Cheshire Regiment Museum in Chester is excellent. There's some very well displayed kit and not too much space-wasting interactive stuff for those with no attention span.

Many of our visitors tell me that our Manx Aviation & Military Museum is among the best they've been to. It incorporates the Manx Regiment Museum (the 15th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment, R.A.) It's nice to know we're doing it right. And we've got no interactive stuff because it's too costly. No wonder that "real" museums swallow up vast budgets when they're full of electronic wizardry but when you think about it they've actually got very little in the way of proper exhibits.

I know that we're a lot better than many professionally-run museums. We do it properly because we believe in it, rather than for money, and without any political hang-ups. Anybody been?

Museum April 06004.JPG

Museum April 06074.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

I think good old Bovvy has to be my favourite, even though it focuses on one main aspect. Their displays outside can be quite impressive, and if I remember rightly you can have a ride in two vehicles. One being one of those tracked Lance carrier type vehicles, good fun!

Of course, it's always impressive to see the Tiger as well!

Best regards

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Nobody's nentioned the REME Museum at Arborfield. Shows the history of the REME and has REME Vehicles on display in the vehicle hall. Photography is allowed and the cafe must be good as serving soldiers use it for lunch.