I believe Tony Graves may be bringing a recovery conversion over from France for GDSF 2011, so that is the First, Alan Oxborough is I presume eturning with the Ex Gadzow Heavy Haulage T, that is 2, Graham Booth is back from South Africa, and may just possibly be able to bring a third?

I believe Tony Graves may be bringing a recovery conversion over from France for GDSF 2011, so that is the First, Alan Oxborough is I presume eturning with the Ex Gadzow Heavy Haulage T, that is 2, Graham Booth is back from South Africa, and may just possibly be able to bring a third?

If mine is ready and reliable I will be going.

The 70th Birthday is in 2012 though yes? So you can all get together next year to plan for the one after :D

No, they were introduced in 1941. Mine is one of the first production runs in August '41.

Cheers,

A

DAMN,

Thats 12 months less to save up.

So, Is the Great Dorset Steam Fair the target place to be??:goodidea:

It gets my vote,but i am biased as my wife pays for half the fuel.She enjoys everything about Dorset except for the 400 mile round trip at 25 mph.

As with many other shows planning starts months ahead so a decision would be needed soon for Antarmike to speak to Martin Oliver.

There are also usually a couple of T's knocking about in the Commercial and Military section at Dorset as well so you could add those to the list as well.

The Steam Fair has special yearly collections of specific vehicle's in other area's of the show, such as in the tractor and steam engine sections. It would be great to see something like this at Dorset though!

My rough guess-timate is 170 miles from Essex to Dorset (and back of course), it`s going to be a lot further for some T owners.

Anyone got any ideas for an alternative location maybe a bit more central.

No dis-respect to GDSF, just fishing for ideas.

I was thinking about this the other day as something more midland's based might be better, but then you potentially lose the T's that are already at Dorset as some might only go to that show.

Off the top of my head how about Wartime in the Vale (Evesham); Tanks, Trucks and Firepower (Dunchurch) or The Victory Show (Cosby)?

A few years ago organised through Pat Ware, John Blackman and CMV magazine, I had the honour and privilage of taking part (with 193 YHT) in an exercise to re-unite Mr Danny Newell, a veteran of both the North African and European campains of WW2 with a Diamond "T". A type that he drove until the wars end in 1945. For me, this day was one of the proudest day's of my life, to be able to bring a tear to the eyes and a smile to the face of such a remarkable man who played his part in a war against tyrany and opression. To be able to do this, is for me, what owning a piece of history is all about, to show my gratitude and to help educate and remind people of the sacrifices that his generation made for us to be able to live as we do. If I can make one persons day it makes the expense and skinned knuckles associated with operating and maintaining these vehicles worth while.

Sadly since the re-union Mr Newell has passed away but he left behind a photographic record of his time spent in the RASC during the war which his son Dennis has kindly allowed me to post on this site for all to see. There is quite a few photographs so I thought it best to ask for consent from the moderators and the other members before posting them.

Steve.....

....There is quite a few photographs so I thought it best to ask for consent from the moderators and the other members before posting them. Steve.....

Just let them try and stop you :cool2:

You're right - it only takes one time like that to make it all worthwhile.

A few years ago organised through Pat Ware, John Blackman and CMV magazine, I had the honour and privilage of taking part (with 193 YHT) in an exercise to re-unite Mr Danny Newell, a veteran of both the North African and European campains of WW2 with a Diamond "T". A type that he drove until the wars end in 1945. For me, this day was one of the proudest day's of my life, to be able to bring a tear to the eyes and a smile to the face of such a remarkable man who played his part in a war against tyrany and opression. To be able to do this, is for me, what owning a piece of history is all about, to show my gratitude and to help educate and remind people of the sacrifices that his generation made for us to be able to live as we do. If I can make one persons day it makes the expense and skinned knuckles associated with operating and maintaining these vehicles worth while.

Steve.....

Totally with you on this one Steve.

At Beltring a few years ago i had an old guy looking round my truck, i opened the door and he got in.

He sat there a couple of minutes with his thoughts and burst into tears.

When i asked if he was ok he just said "memories boy, memories."

When people ask why did i buy a Diamond T i think about him and it seems to justify it completely.

Hi Steve, yes, that is an old trick. You would have to buy it under the assumption that it needs a total restoration, mechanical and body (pushing the price even lower). Also it spent its life as a wrecker so it would have been worked very hard.

Cheers,

A

Hi all, just asked my Dad about the engine - the original Hercules went bang in about 1980ish and was replaced by a Cummins 220, the truck would do 30mph after that. Chances are it's still in there.