17 hours ago, Didier Belgium said:

Thank you for the fast answer,;Is a remote header tank a good suplement,or is it nessecery for the supercharged Cummins ,Is it worth to use it on a Hercules engine ? Thank you 

never seen a hercules powered DT with a remote header tank so i would imagine in the hay days of heavy haulage they just couldn't work the engines hard enough to warrant a header tank so certainly in preservation they definetly don't need one.

the cummins on the other hand was a highly tune able engine and wasn't impossible to get over 320 hp from them which in a dt is a massive step up from standard. Wynn's ran over 20 DT's with cummins engines on some extreme heavy haulage operations, were it was common to have 1 truck doing a job really for 2. so it's no surprise they needed the header tank as being worked so much harder than normal.       

• Like 1

in 2007 I bought a Diamond T 980 with closed cabin from Army Cars Holland,it was the second last Diamond T 980-981 they had and the last of the Italien army  lot (lot number 279 ),The last Diamond T was a 981 with open cabin from the Belgium army and was sold to Eddy Vianne from Belgium.This man has several WWII military vehicles .  When I was there the Army Cars clerk showed me a large warehouse with all Diamond T parts  all new;  diffrerent rear axles in wooden crates,front axles,steering boxes ,drive axles,brake drums,transmission housings,water pumps,all service parts for the engine, all new and coming from yhe Italian army their full stock;wheels,springs,steering rods,engine blocks, the man himself gave me a list with some prices,: front axle complete 250 euros,rear axle complete 350 euros,steering box 125 euros,radiator 375 euros , foot switch to start the engine 65 euros, overhaul kit for water pump 100 euros, the ballast blocks of 25 kilos 7.5 euros each,(at that time the price of scrap iron was higher than the price of the ballast blocks).  Now Army Cars no longer exists and I have inquired where all those parts have gone; it seems that everything has gone to the scrap yard......which is a pity

Didier

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Good evening all,

I’m putting a frame display together of my dads service medals etc etc. I am missing an image of his two DT 23 YZ 80 (out and about or in museum of army transport) and Old Joe reg unknown, believe was a guardian at Bulford.

if anyone can help would be highly appreciated. 

kind regards

Dave

6 hours ago, Dave H said:

Good evening all,

I’m putting a frame display together of my dads service medals etc etc. I am missing an image of his two DT 23 YZ 80 (out and about or in museum of army transport) and Old Joe reg unknown, believe was a guardian at Bulford.

if anyone can help would be highly appreciated. 

kind regards

Dave

Old Joe is 22YZ73
https://twitter.com/27RegimentRLC/status/1436718144714854410?s=20

100_2151

Edited by Johnny

DAVE H l see you know cliff Goldsmith as to photo's l may have some from the museum just a note 23 YZ 80 was used by the museum to move the DYSON and COMET several times a year also it was used to winch the Berlin coach into position  when it came  to the museum

Edited by wally dugan

• 6 months later...
On 11/15/2022 at 8:36 PM, Didier Belgium said:

in 2007 I bought a Diamond T 980 with closed cabin from Army Cars Holland,it was the second last Diamond T 980-981 they had and the last of the Italien army  lot (lot number 279 ),The last Diamond T was a 981 with open cabin from the Belgium army and was sold to Eddy Vianne from Belgium.This man has several WWII military vehicles .  When I was there the Army Cars clerk showed me a large warehouse with all Diamond T parts  all new;  diffrerent rear axles in wooden crates,front axles,steering boxes ,drive axles,brake drums,transmission housings,water pumps,all service parts for the engine, all new and coming from yhe Italian army their full stock;wheels,springs,steering rods,engine blocks, the man himself gave me a list with some prices,: front axle complete 250 euros,rear axle complete 350 euros,steering box 125 euros,radiator 375 euros , foot switch to start the engine 65 euros, overhaul kit for water pump 100 euros, the ballast blocks of 25 kilos 7.5 euros each,(at that time the price of scrap iron was higher than the price of the ballast blocks).  Now Army Cars no longer exists and I have inquired where all those parts have gone; it seems that everything has gone to the scrap yard......which is a pity

Didier

By the way my Diamond T 980 from the Italien army is for sale,I have also a converted 981 with one rear axle used as a civilien tractor with the originan Hercules Diesel engine can be used for parts

On 11/15/2022 at 8:36 PM, Didier Belgium said:

Didier

Only see this now,  but I don't think those parts were scrapped, when A.C. closed up, there was a big sale, and a lot of people bought a lot of parts!  Mr. De Groot from A.C. bought loads of parts from the Belgium dealer Chris Muys in the 90's, and also around that time I bought all the small Diamond parts from the Italian Army, about 4 tons, all in wooden rectangular grey boxes, and took what I needed, and sold it on to Jaap Rietveld, as far as I know he still has a lot of that lot.

Lex

1 hour ago, welbike said:

Only see this now,  but I don't think those parts were scrapped, when A.C. closed up, there was a big sale, and a lot of people bought a lot of parts!  Mr. De Groot from A.C. bought loads of parts from the Belgium dealer Chris Muys in the 90's, and also around that time I bought all the small Diamond parts from the Italian Army, about 4 tons, all in wooden rectangular grey boxes, and took what I needed, and sold it on to Jaap Rietveld, as far as I know he still has a lot of that lot.

Lex

I am very happy to hear that, thank you for the info Didier from Belgium

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Diamondt969a said:

It did, yes. I had understood the recovery gear was from a 969. The last I heard of it was that it was derelict here in Kent, but that was a few years ago. 

Reuben.

the Telstar 981 is in a yard near Lutton and is just a parts truck know, the radiator top tank is on my 980, complete rear cross member is know in another 981 near bristol slowly being restored to a high standard. the hercules engine has been removed and semi stripped to go in another 981 but think that plan is no longer happening. the cab went in the scrap i believe as it was folded up flat on the floor when i seen it 6 years ago. certainly wont ever see a road ever again but i know the chassis set up is very rare. 1 of 2-3 built??