Hi all, just asked my Dad about the engine - the original Hercules went bang in about 1980ish and was replaced by a Cummins 220, the truck would do 30mph after that. Chances are it's still in there.

If my memory servs me correctly I think when he advertised the T on ebay he said he thought it had a volvo engine and that the starter had been removed for repair. I know that volvo and scania engines will mate with the T's gearbox as I used to drive one with a 110 scania engine fitted for Albert Road Recovery in Essex many years ago.

On saying that I am more enclined to believe that it is as you say a 220 cummins.

Edited by diamond-t-steve

a diamond t i recently bought in ireland, would like to attend a 70th aniversary but dorset is a long way for me as i am based in leeds.

Did you get the spare chassis too John? Well done on getting this fine example, was considering this one too but go cold feet over the transportation costs!

A

I was thinking about this the other day as something more midland's based might be better, but then you potentially lose the T's that are already at Dorset as some might only go to that show.

Off the top of my head how about Wartime in the Vale (Evesham); Tanks, Trucks and Firepower (Dunchurch) or The Victory Show (Cosby)?

How about RAF Kemble, easy to get to, nice hard standing & seeing as they have a Military Show there anyway, kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, still you cant please everbody all the time. :goodidea:

Why not have two meetings? GDSF and somewhere else would mean one or other meetup is more local, and therefore suits some more than others.

TRhe advantage of having A DT meet at GDSF is that we could actually get a number of DT's on a big load, working together. No other showsite has such an Arena as GDSF. Do you want to drive them as they should be, or park them in a line, and once a day go into to small arena for 15 minutes?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37389[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37390[/ATTACH]

Hi RuggyJohn, is this Derek Beatties old DT??

I look forward to seeing it, let me know if your taking it out sometime, Leeds is not to far from south manchester.

Cheers

MaccDT

Iam with you on this one antarmike, Just like to post these photos of what Alan would like to replecate at The "T" Party of the year.

ps the photos are not of my taking and have no copyright on the back just 1954. from front to back reg numbers are EGG 159, FYV 740, HOX 493 and bringing up the rear EGG 160 which is no stranger to GDSF.

Nov09_02.jpg

Nov09_01.jpg

Why not have two meetings? GDSF and somewhere else would mean one or other meetup is more local, and therefore suits some more than others.

TRhe advantage of having A DT meet at GDSF is that we could actually get a number of DT's on a big load, working together. No other showsite has such an Arena as GDSF. Do you want to drive them as they should be, or park them in a line, and once a day go into to small arena for 15 minutes?

Hi Mike, i think the best way to show vehicles is running and working in a big arena and i am happy to put my name down for Dorset, however for the northern people, is there somewhere Newark, Nottingham, Leicester or Birmingham way that may attract more??

do we know anyone with a large airfield??

Cheers

MaccDT

Iam with you on this one antarmike, Just like to post these photos of what Alan would like to replecate at The "T" Party of the year.

ps the photos are not of my taking and have no copyright on the back just 1954. from front to back reg numbers are EGG 159, FYV 740, HOX 493 and bringing up the rear EGG 160 which is no stranger to GDSF.[ATTACH=CONFIG]37478[/ATTACH]

Nice one buddy,just what i had in mind.:tup::

ps the photos are not of my taking and have no copyright on the back just 1954. from front to back reg numbers are EGG 159, FYV 740, HOX 493 and bringing up the rear EGG 160 which is no stranger to GDSF.[ATTACH=CONFIG]37478[/ATTACH]

Is this the casting Picfords took over the Pennines?, then its the same load that is on the front of Les's book, it is also the load which was copied for Corgi's first Heavy Haulage Diamond T, its just a shame Corgi didn't issue the set with more Diamond T's.

Is this the casting Picfords took over the Pennines?, then its the same load that is on the front of Les's book, it is also the load which was copied for Corgi's first Heavy Haulage Diamond T, its just a shame Corgi didn't issue the set with more Diamond T's.

There were two castings 185 tons,and 178 tons, this may be the second move as GLU 654 (also no stranger to Dorset) was the lead tractor on the first move and carried a large notice board above the cab proclaiming to be the heaviest load transported by road at the time.

Hi All

staying on the black and whites, i was stopped at a show on August bank holiday on the Staffs/cheshire border by a gent who took my name and said he would post a few pics to me that I might be interested in. this is some of what he sent me, on the back it says Tidworth tank ground and says recovery of tank after trailer accident. unfortunately he didnt put his name or address in the envlope so I cannot credit him, but i know he lives nearby.

i will post more later from his BAOR days.

Cheers and enjoy

MaccDT

TANK RECOVERY.jpg

DIAMOND T.jpg

Thanks for posting the great photographs. I have got my fingers crossed that one day somebody will post an "in service" picture of my 981. 193 YHT, 25 YZ 61 or H5292449 it served with the BAOR after the war and stands out as it has a cupola in the centre of the roof.

I think it was Graham Booth who told me it was a war time field modification so the drivers mate could observe and shoot back at snipers.

There is a picture of it in Wheels and Tracks magazine, in a line of Dt's at Ruddington auctions but that is the earliest photograph I have seen of her.

One can live in hope.

Edited by diamond-t-steve

These two are from the Suez campaign.

A Diamond T was called to recover another one + trailer but on arriving they found that neither had a tow bar.

They decided to let out a short length of winch rope and tow the dead one with that, this worked well until the air pressure ran out in the dead truck.

One little descent resulted in this.

Ted, the guy who gave me the pictures was a REME electrician but he often went out as crewman on the T.

acc020.jpg

Easy to be wise with hindsight but what did they expect might happen?

Why not hitch the trailer to the running T and drag the failed one on to the trailer? Or even use the trailer airlines from the casualty between the two tractors?

Result, 3 pieces of broken kit and the cost of recovering them.

Good pictures Dave, thanks for posting.

Mike, when is the closing date for entries? Working like hell to get 566 XUL ready for the summer but I am refraining from officially entering until I know it will be there for certain.

Cheers,

A

I guess I will need to know late April/ mid May. Passes are ordered by me from GDSF before June 1st.

I think it is time to move GDSF Diamond T entries to a separate thread. I will try and get some info together for this time tomorrow.

Now here:-

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21628-Great-Dorset-Steam-Fair-(Diesel-Heavy-Haulage)-2011-Diamond-T-70th-Birthday-bash

Please publicise this amongst friends and acquaintances. I NEED MORE ENTRIES!