Scammell Constructor Gallery.

John, thank you for such an interesting reply. There's not many of these 5th wheel Constructors around. There was a photograph of a fairly complete and original looking one posted on this thread a while ago with a caption that it had been sold for restoration by David Crouch. That 'photo and post now seems to have been deleted. I viewed the one shown below, which had a ballast compartment fitted over, or in place of, the 5th wheel when it was owned by a bloke who ran some sort of approved school near Stoke. I think he had bought it from Geoff Rhodes but it has now been sold it on.

scammell1_jpg.jpg

I sincerely hope the ex.Manchester Airport Comstructor was not too seriously vandalised. It's hard for me to understand the mentality of kids who, when seeing a beautiful old lorry, just want to smash it up. I had the cab of a Militant vandalised. Six working lorries that belonged to the owner of the yard were also damaged the same night. It was a lot of work putting things right.

On the subject of Constructors, using dowsing twigs and the cider fueled Somerset grapevine I think I maybe near to tracking down the previous owner of this one. I think we have the bloke's name and the village where he lives. I'm hoping he may have a few photographs of this lorry from the time when he owned it. Watch this space.

RAFConstructor-1.jpg

The blue one in the top picture now belongs to Sean Reed another friend of mine who lives in Macclesfield. The truck has not been out for a few years but is still in running order.

Not sure if you knew but I also owned the green one in the other picture, that photo was when it was in my ownership, I parssed it on to Paul Rhodes who did the nut and bolt restoration on it. John.

Not sure if you knew but I also owned the green one in the other picture, that photo was when it was in my ownership, I parssed it on to Paul Rhodes who did the nut and bolt restoration on it. John.

Yes, indeed, I did know that you once owned this lorry and it was you I was addressing when I said I maybe close to tracking down the person you bought it from. When I read, in a previous post of yours, that you had acquired this lorry from a bloke who owned "a garage somewhere in Somerset" but that you couldn't remember where, I set the hounds to work and I may have a result, and hopefully, a few 'photos soon. Or maybe not.

John, thank you for the info regarding the blue Constructor now owned by your friend, Sean Reed. I think I'm right in saying that, like many other Scammells, this one past through Geoff Rhodes hands. I believe Geoff brought it from someone who would take it to shows and challenge all comers to a tug of war hence the ballast compartment on the back. Geoff sold it to the bloke who ran

an approved school near Stoke as mentioned in a previous post. For a number of years a vintage and steam rally was held in the grounds of the school and the Constructor was employed towing a water bowser round to service the steam traction engines at the show. At few years ago I saw this Scammell advertised for sale. Maybe that was when Sean Reed bought it.

Edited by 6 X 6

On the subject of 'missing' Constructors I think I know of another not mentioned here. It was fully restored by an enthusiast and then bought by garage and recovery operator Malcolm Bowles of Southery, near Downham Market Norfolk. It was definitely a Rolls Eagle and painted military green. I think he removed the rear body and fitted a massive yellow extending boom (underlift?). At the time I spoke to him, he was planning to remove the twin rear tyres and fit singles to aid traction in the Fenland mud and reduce the overall width slightly. This was maybe 8-10 yrs ago. I have photos of it somewhere which I'll try to find. He bought it to replace his original Scammell which I think was very early (late 20's/early 30's?) I'm not sure if it was an SV2, but he had owned it many years and done a couple of rebuilds on it. It was called "Herman" and was in white recovery livery. He may even have kept it alongside the Constructor. I know it was much smaller than the Constructor and was a 6x4,powered by a Gardner 6LW. Anyone else know who restored the Constructor and sold it to Mr Bowles?

Yes that was my photo,

12-03-2008202234.jpg

but I don't know where she is now....

Might this be Nelson Green's one from Bourne? Nelson told me that he had bought 5 and was exporting them to Australia but that one had missed the boat. It was in a very similar condition to this one but the birds had pecked away everything under the bonnet that was not made of metal!

I assume we are talking about a 5th wheel Constructor?

Daz76 does say of Malcolm Bowles, "I think he removed the rear body", so maybe not a 5th wheel tractor or, at least, one to which a body had been fitted. Break out them pix Daz.

Daz76 does say of Malcolm Bowles, "I think he removed the rear body", so maybe not a 5th wheel tractor or, at least, one to which a body had been fitted. Break out them pix Daz.

I know for a fact that my old one, chassis 9281, 83BL02 was sold to a recovery operator at Downham Market as the twin 14.00 x 20 rear tyres would give more stability in some of the recovery operations he used to carry out. I never got to see it once it was converted.

I know for a fact that my old one, chassis 9281, 83BL02 was sold to a recovery operator at Downham Market as the twin 14.00 x 20 rear tyres would give more stability in some of the recovery operations he used to carry out. I never got to see it once it was converted.

Sounds like a hot lead. I can't imagine there could be that many recovery operators in Downham Market who had a Constructor. If Daz didn't have the opportunity to examine this Scammell close up or was not aware of the other differences like mudguards etc, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that a ex 5th wheel tractor with recovery equipment fitted had once been a ballast tractor with a body.

Mike, got any 'photos of 83BL02 from the days when you owned it that could be posted on here ? Thanks.

Mike, got any 'photos of 83BL02 from the days when you owned it that could be posted on here ? Thanks.

Sadly no, the only photo was taken by Adam Crouch when we were unloading it from David's low loader using my Martian. It was bought from a scrap yard just outside Market Rasen in 1991 having been abandoned by a steel fabricator as the tyres were bald and traction was non existant. It supposedly had a seized engine but started first time using a pair of car batteries and ran well. David and I also bought all the mechanical components of it's sister which had recently been cut up as the cab was damaged.

Sadly no, the only photo was taken by Adam Crouch

Mike, if the other members of this forum knew how many opportunities I've missed over the years to photograph interesting vehicles they'd come round my place and beat me up. If only we'd foreseen the age of the internet forum.

Leave it with me. It was the (SV2?) I mentioned that gave me the bug in the first place! I knew nothing about Scammells then, other than I WANTED ONE! The photos have been through a house move and I don't have access to them at the moment. It may take weeks, but I'll post them asap. Sounds like the same motor doesn't it? I didn't know of another in that area. Daz.

Sorry 6x6, my job takes me away for weeks at a time...I'll do me best over xmas.:thumbsup: Not good for the nerves to be kept waiting!..Daz

Only pulling your leg. Wishing you, and your family, a very happy Christmas. I love your Explorer project and look forward meeting you, and seeing your Scammell, one day. Best wishes for the New Year. Tom.

Only pulling your leg. Wishing you, and your family, a very happy Christmas. I love your Explorer project and look forward meeting you, and seeing your Scammell, one day. Best wishes for the New Year. Tom.

And you mate- Have a great christmas! That's the trouble with work-it gets in the way of the more important things in life, like Scammelling! I'm hoping to come (Scammell-less):( to some of the shows in 09 to say hello. Daz :cool2:

Yes, indeed, I did know that you once owned this lorry and it was you I was addressing when I said I maybe close to tracking down the person you bought it from. When I read, in a previous post of yours, that you had acquired this lorry from a bloke who owned "a garage somewhere in Somerset" but that you couldn't remember where, I set the hounds to work and I may have a result, and hopefully, a few 'photos soon. Or maybe not.

John, thank you for the info regarding the blue Constructor now owned by your friend, Sean Reed. I think I'm right in saying that, like many other Scammells, this one past through Geoff Rhodes hands. I believe Geoff brought it from someone who would take it to shows and challenge all comers to a tug of war hence the ballast compartment on the back. Geoff sold it to the bloke who ran

an approved school near Stoke as mentioned in a previous post. For a number of years a vintage and steam rally was held in the grounds of the school and the Constructor was employed towing a water bowser round to service the steam traction engines at the show. At few years ago I saw this Scammell advertised for sale. Maybe that was when Sean Reed bought it.

Just to keep things in order, I actually bought the Constructor of a chap called Alan Robins in Kidderminster who had owned it for a number of years after buying it from the garage operator in Sommerset. All I can remember is that he was called Mike and that he latterly had a Militant Recovery.

Regarding the "Blue one" Sean did buy it from Ken Williams who was the Headmaster at Buglawton School for naughty boys and did run the Buglawton vintage show within the grounds of the School in early July each year. Ken is now retired from the school but does still run the show.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry 6x6, but periodically posting pics of MOS Constructors will not persuade me to bring forward the restoration of Stan's motor's sister :nono:

Now where did I put that manual...........

What about periodically posting pics of Stan's motor's Granny ? Would that help persuade you to bring forward this restoration of National Importance ?

shell-6-wheeler.jpg

After a very early start on a bitterly cold morning I drove YSV 865 on an eighty mile round trip to attend the annual New Year's Day road run held at North Petherton. This event is organized by the Somerset Steam Traction Club. The Scammell performed superbly all day. Here's a few pix.

So far so good. Just down the lane from the farm where I have my headquarters.

DSCF0527.jpg

Roadside check to see if all is well. No big bits had fallen off so onto Glastonbury.

DSCF0528.jpg

Arrived !

DSCF0546.jpg

DSCF0547.jpg

Everyone has seen photographs taken by the prolific vintage commercial photographer Gyles Carpenter........ this is a photo of Gyles ! Gyles's work can be seen on websites and in all the magazines. He has done more than his bit for the movement and today he travelled from his home in Kent to be at this show. Good for him.

DSCF0530.jpg

Stopping on the way home for a bite to eat in downtown Wedmore. There's never anywhere to park.

DSCF0562.jpg

DSCF0558.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

DSCF0555.jpg

DSCF0556.jpg

Safely back in it's den.

DSCF0564.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6