Scammell Constructor Gallery.

If my memory serves me correctly, this Scammell Constructor-NGY593-has already featured earlier on this thread as it's now in the process of being restored.

After Stan Wass and the MoS had finished with it, S.Grundon bought it and used it to move skips from 'road lorries' across the dump for emptying and it was at their yard in Colnbrook I took these pictures of it in the late '80s.

It even looks as though there is a Ruddington Auction lot number on the left-hand front wing?

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

Here she is at Kibworth recently, this gives another view of the cab offset. Thanks for the info Antar.

Just found these photos, thought that they may be of interest, the photos were taken by Mark Walker of Walker machinery in Witney in Oxfordshire. They bought this rare Constructor from Blackbush auction and then sold it to the sand contractor at Southport.

Scammell Constructor1.jpg

Scammell Constructor 2.jpg

Scammell Constructor 3.jpg

She looks quite tidy after demob at Walkers. I had a good look at the old girl at Kibworth - not very much at all is salvagable from the effects of the salt water. :cry:

I certainly wouldn't fancy the job of getting her back into good fettle :sweat:

Yes I agree, it stood outside my back door for 3 years, I really did want to restore it but just too many other projects on the go to take on such a major one. In the end I thought that if anyone could find a good home for her it would be David so she had to go.

John.

Anyone know anything about this Constructor or have the magazine close to hand which ran an article on it a few years back as Dave Godley has posted Terry Partridges pictures on CCMV and would like to know ? :-D I think it was used for testing road surface grip levels but memory is not what it used to be ! :confused: ScammellJuniorConstructor2TGP.jpgScammellJuniorConstructorTGP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Even though the chassis seems to be longer than the one in the pictures posted by 'Antar', I was wondering if this might have been an ex-Military Constructor as well?

It is the same vehicle, I cut all the gear off the back !

John.

Today, I had the privilege of having a visit from Scammell enthusiast and forum member, Andy Fowler. What a nice bloke. Andy turned out to be what I call a natural born Scammell driver, immediately bonding with the Constructor, and driving it impeccably. Thanks, Andy, for grinning all day, for being a charming companion and making it such a brilliant days drive in the countryside. You are always welcome down here.

Here's a few pix with Andy and his Scammell grin.

DSCF0670.jpg

DSCF06742.jpg

DSCF06752.jpg

DSCF0744.jpg

DSCF0746.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

nice to see you 2 had a nice day out the constuctor looks brilliant 6x6

ive bin down your neck of the woods latly ime still on the look out for u and the white flag .

nick

I saw a Challenger on the back of a low loader on the way down there Nick ! Wasn't on one of Alleleys though ! Oh and yes we did have great fun ! Thanks again Tom :-D DSC05678.jpgDSC05679.jpgDSC05695.jpgDSC05690.jpg

Edited by AndyFowler

The Red Scammell super constructor in the photo is in William Rainfords sand works in Southport it is the same vehicle Dave Crouch now has .Was purchased by myself and recovered from there a few years ago and i sold to Antar..

That must be Mr Booth then.....

John.

Hi John hope you and the good lady are both well..Hope to catch up with you somewhere this year ..take care

Nice to hear from you Graham, hope you and family are also well, I will not be at Astle Park this year decided to give it a miss and go to Saddleworth this time. But I am sure that our paths will cross somewhere.

John.

Yes, its Steve Guests and it doesn't look like that anymore.

Steve put a 300 BHP RR C6T in instead of the C6N, and the gearbox died under the strain, It was towed back, with gearbox removed some years ago, from GDSF, the last show it attended. The gearbox is still out, and it now looks very rough, rusted through doors and cab. I don't think Steve has much interest in it at the moment. All very sad, The one he got back from Cyprus is now probably in better nick than "The Scope" (Sea Scopium)

It is ex Geoff Rhodes, ex Allsops of Ashby. and had a Harvey frost/Mann Egerton type crane in a chariot body, until Steve put a RAF Ballast box back on it.

Another problem is the Rad can't cool the C6T and it boils up every hour, on the hour, when on the road....

Edited by antarmike