Scammell Constructor Gallery.

The previous owners certainly made a nice job of restoring her Tom ! Have you any details or pictures of her condition before the restoration ! Oh and keep posting cos its good to see so many survivors ! :-D

There is a photograph of this Constructor on Antar's (John Riley) post No. 361 when it was owned by Antar. Bernie Jones put this lorry back on the road in the condition you see it in the preceding posts and it is a credit to him. Apart from installing an ex Mountaineer Leyland diesel that came with it, Bernie fitted new tyres and extensively overhauled the mechanics of this lorry. I did have a set of photographs Bernie kindly gave me showing the whole sequence of removing the Meadows petrol engine and fitting the Leyland diesel. I think I must still have these 'photos somewhere so I'll have a sniff around and see if I can find them.

I have to confess I was responsible for Bernie Jones coming down with a bad dose of Scammellitis after he drove one of my Constructors at a show in Wroughton, Wilts. Until then, Bernie had been perfectly happy with his lovely Militant MK 1 gun tractor but after briefly driving the Scammell his face took on that crazed look symptomatic of Scammell enthusiasts and he HAD to have a Constructor. Fortunately, Bernie knew John Riley had one for sale and within a few weeks Bernie had bought it. Incidentally,

although the current body is the correct type it is one from another 20 ton ballast tractor that Bernie acquired while he was restoring PSU 439. This second Constructor had a rotten cab but very good body so Bernie transferred to it to PSU 439. When Bernie sold PSU 439 to a Kibworth based commercial recovery operator he included the other Constructor, as a cab and chassis, but without the body that had originally been on PSU 439. Bernie did have this body proping up his workshop roof for a while. I don't know what happened to this body........maybe it's still there. If you're still following all this, the cab and chassis that accompanied PSU 439 when Bernie sold it was swiftly sold on by D.C. and the last I heard it was standing in a field somewhere.

Not that many survivors Andy, maybe only 6-7 really straight ones mostly now with diesels and very few with the original Meadows and an unbutchered body. I'd be very interested to see a few 'photos of Antarmike's mate's newly acquired petrol Constructor on this thread when possible.

I remember an article in SO&EC magazine about the seduction of Bernie Jones, didn't realize it was you up to your mischief again 6X6!

I also remember a really funny article involving Bernie and a parachutist around the same time, you again no doubt!

Any one you know in this pic?

ardent2.jpg

That's Bernie, but I don't recognize the bloke standing behind him.

Apparently his name is Paul Marshal, they were returning the scorpion to Trafford park.

I've dug out the mags but strangely none of them are dated, I guess it must have been a round 10 yrs ago.

If it is Paul Marshall, he is the son of the guy who owns the yard where the Constructor was restored and stored near Preston. I delivered the Constructor to the yard for Bernie behind my Crusader 35 Tonne tractor unit using a 10/30 dummy axle which I must post some pictures of one day.

If it is Paul Marshall, he is the son of the guy who owns the yard where the Constructor was restored and stored near Preston. I delivered the Constructor to the yard for Bernie behind my Crusader 35 Tonne tractor unit using a 10/30 dummy axle which I must post some pictures of one day.

Hi Antar, I reckon your Crusader might be just out of shot here, These pix courtesy of SO&EC who gave me permission to publish them on my old website (now no longer) so should be OK here.

barnselymeet.jpg

I think this photograph may have been taken in Marshall's yard not long after Antar had delivered the Scammell. Bernie was using his Militant MK 1 gun tractor to shunt the Constructor into position to enable a machine to lift it's body off. This would have been the body originally fitted to this Constructor and not the one Bernie later replaced it with. Does anyone know what happened to this body ?

sc000df7da.jpg

Hi Antar, I reckon your Crusader might be just out of shot here, These pix courtesy of SO&EC who gave me permission to publish them on my old website (now no longer) so should be OK here.

That was taken at one of the first Scammell gatherings at the old post office near Barnsley. Ihad an interesting drive home, the head gasket on the Crusader blew half way up Woodhead !

I think this photograph may have been taken in Marshall's yard not long after Antar had delivered the Scammell. Bernie was using his Militant MK 1 gun tractor to shunt the Constructor into position to enable a machine to lift it's body off. This would have been the body originally fitted to this Constructor and not the one Bernie later replaced it with. Does anyone know what happened to this body ?

sc000df7da.jpg

Bernie Jones should know, PM me and I will give you the last telephone number I had for him.

Bernie Jones should know, PM me and I will give you the last telephone number I had for him.

Thanks Antar, that's very thoughtful of you but I already have Bernie's 'phone number. Bernie and I didn't have much to chat about after he sold his Constructor.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the ex-Manchester airport constructors. It was sold to the Griffin Trust near Elesmere port. My friend Ian Burman bought it from them. I gave him a lift to collect it, litterally, it had never been on the road for 20 years as we knew, having stood in the airport maintenance unit for years, then low loaded to the Griffin Trust. We turned up one summer evening with gear oil and batteries checked all the oils, put the batteries on, and I think a set of borrowed trade plates!, and just drove out onto the M53 and then the M56 to Manchester. It never dropped below 35mph all the way and never missed a beat. Ian kept it for about a year then sold it to a person from Derby, as far as I know it was in his ownership when the photo above was taken but have heard that the truck has since been vandalised. I may have a contact number for him as I also sold him a winch to replace the one which the airport had removed and scrapped.

John.

John, thank you for such an interesting reply. There's not many of these 5th wheel Constructors around. There was a photograph of a fairly complete and original looking one posted on this thread a while ago with a caption that it had been sold for restoration by David Crouch. That 'photo and post now seems to have been deleted. I viewed the one shown below, which had a ballast compartment fitted over, or in place of, the 5th wheel when it was owned by a bloke who ran some sort of approved school near Stoke. I think he had bought it from Geoff Rhodes but it has now been sold it on.

scammell1_jpg.jpg

I sincerely hope the ex.Manchester Airport Comstructor was not too seriously vandalised. It's hard for me to understand the mentality of kids who, when seeing a beautiful old lorry, just want to smash it up. I had the cab of a Militant vandalised. Six working lorries that belonged to the owner of the yard were also damaged the same night. It was a lot of work putting things right.

On the subject of Constructors, using dowsing twigs and the cider fueled Somerset grapevine I think I maybe near to tracking down the previous owner of this one. I think we have the bloke's name and the village where he lives. I'm hoping he may have a few photographs of this lorry from the time when he owned it. Watch this space.

RAFConstructor-1.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Andy,

Congrats........just noticed you have just done 1,000 posts. Welcome to the club :)

You got those glasses of clives on again i didnt notice that,blinded by the moon .well done Andy.:cool2:

On the subject of Constructors, using dowsing twigs and the cider fueled Somerset grapevine I think I maybe near to tracking down the previous owner of this one. I think we have the bloke's name and the village where he lives. I'm hoping he may have a few photographs of this lorry from the time when he owned it. Watch this space.

RAFConstructor-1.jpg

Before you imbibe too much Somerset cider in the course of your research, 6x6 - can you tell us where this vehicle is now? Is it the one Paul Rhodes restored in green? (can't read numberplate).

p.s. We always forund in Somerset there was a shortage of glasses at any "do", so started a fad of drinking cider out of a tea pot......well you've got to be famous for something.....

can you tell us where this vehicle is now? Is it the one Paul Rhodes restored in green? (can't read numberplate).

It seems to have found a good home with Chris Phillips. Photographed at this year's W & P Show by Andy. See post 256 on this thread. A large teapot full of warm cider awaits you if ever you're down this way.

DSC04286-1.jpg

Does anyone else remember the picture of a 5th wheel Constructor captioned, "Sold for preservation by David Crouch" that was on this thread ? Has it gone or is it that I just can't find it ? I though it had been posted by Antarmike but I'm not sure.

Previously posted by N.O.S. before Black Sunday ! Taken in Crouch's yard now sold for preservation ! :-D 12-03-2008202234.jpg

Sorry ! Just found it and posted by Andy and not Mike. I wonder where it is now and how the restoration is coming along ?

It seems to have found a good home with Chris Phillips. Photographed at this year's W & P Show by Andy. See post 256 on this thread. A large teapot full of warm cider awaits you if ever you're down this way.

DSC04286-1.jpg

This RAF Constructor is identified as a Scammell Contractor in the December "Military Machines International"....Just can't get the staff can you.....