Matador Gallery

Mike,

The census number puts it as an Armoured Personnel & Demolition version.

There was a different contract for the Wireless Armoured Command type.

But most of the the Demolition vehicles were reworked as minelayers, but didn't these also end up by being converted into Command Vehicles (the demolition vehicles having proved totally useless*, and the minelayers not much better**)? so by the time this photo is taken, I guess it would have become an ACV??

This convertion process happened early in the war, just after the fall of France when it was seen just how useless these vehicles actually were, the Maskeline?? deception was, I thought, later in the war. 1941-42

This vehicle does have one or two aerials in the roof....which I don't think is right for a demolition vehicle, or for a personnel Carrier.

The Penthouse rolled up on the side, surely also makes this a Command Vehicle, whatever the the Census number may indicate?

Is that 2 tons on the bridge plate? and why would that be??

* The demolition vehicle's drill proved unable to get through hard road surfaces found on the bridges it was trying to blow up

** and the minelayer, just dropping mines out of a chute, leaving them lying on the ground, without burying them, made minefields very, very easy to clear.

Edited by antarmike

The Penthouse rolled up on the side, surely also makes this a Command Vehicle, whatever the the Census number may indicate?

Is that 2 tons on the bridge plate? and why would that be??

Agreed Mike, just making the point about what its original role was. The 2 ton bridge plate is probably part of the deception of its disguise to look like a light covered truck.

Agreed Mike, just making the point about what its original role was. The 2 ton bridge plate is probably part of the deception of its disguise to look like a light covered truck.

I thought to it must be part of the deception, but it seems strange to me that to be close enough to read the bridge plate, surely you would see the Painting Canvas radiator snout was phoney?

sg4.jpg

Airfield construction Nicosia-Limasol En Route to El Aden Libya.

Hello all.

Could these vehicles be on their way to Limassol for the construction of Akrotiri? :idea: About the colour, the photo seems a bit faded. Could they not be finished in sand like many other vehicles used on Cyprus?

Fyll

Hello all.

Could these vehicles be on their way to Limassol for the construction of Akrotiri? :idea: About the colour, the photo seems a bit faded. Could they not be finished in sand like many other vehicles used on Cyprus?

Fyll

Fyll that of course is a possiblity re the colour re the destination feasible but so is the original caption

regards

TED

• 1 month later...
The other firm, famous for shortening matadors and converting them to timber tractors was A. K.Cooper.

Their trademark is the removal of the original Turner winch and the fitting of a Unipower winch in it's place.

Here are two of their products.

03-06-2008201536.jpg

03-06-2008201725.jpg

Has anyone got any pics of the transfer box of one of these convertions or a douglas with a matador transfer box and rear mounted winch . How does the drive shaft drive to the rear instead of to the front?

There was a matador 6 wheel tanker in a motor museum near calne wiltshire i think i t is called the atwell wilson museum. Last time i saw the tanker she was looking in a bad way But that was 5 years ago is she still there i wonder? I also Know of 7 matadors that have been used on timber haulage in various states of disrepair they are dotted around somerset...

Has anyone got any pics of the transfer box of one of these convertions or a douglas with a matador transfer box and rear mounted winch . How does the drive shaft drive to the rear instead of to the front?

See Antarmikes ingenious solution, got a foden winch on the rear of his matador. There is a whole piece about it somewhere I think in matador gallery. Quite interesting!

See Antarmikes ingenious solution, got a foden winch on the rear of his matador. There is a whole piece about it somewhere I think in matador gallery. Quite interesting!

Douglas simply turned the shaft around. However the rear bearing cap needs modifying to take an oil seal. you can't just swap housings as the rear one incorporates an gearbox mounting point. Some gearboxes had a double ended shaft, with a spline to drive the turner winch at the front, and a flange to take a hardy spicer coupling at the rear. They take some finding but they are out there. I have only ever seen two and I have both of them!

I'll get a photo of my douglas next time I am in the shed and there is enough light.

• 2 weeks later...