Matador Gallery

Driffield, that will be the road run the Police marshalled, and directed where to park then!

I seem to remember the road ahead was completely blocked with staionary steam engines, in which case the Douglas wasn't parked. it was just waiting for queued traffic to clear!

There is a gearbox available that allows a 7.9 : 1 front axle to work with the worm drive rear axle, which memory tells me is 7.77 to 1 or thereabouts. I believe they changed a 45 tooth gear for a 44 tooth gear, but kept the same centres.

I cannot see it is possible to play with the gearbox to allow a 6.25 and a 7.9 to run together. It isn't listed in the list of alternative ratios in the Aux gearbox section of the workshop manual.

I have only ever seen one worm drive Matador rear axle. They are very rare, but I believe some of the ACV's may have used them.

Looking it up in the book, instead of memory, Worm drive rear axle is 7.75 : 1. and the ratio is achieved by substituting a 43 tooth gear (the Countershaft sliding wheel) with one that had only 42 teeth.

Whether the countershaft gear is 43 tooth for the 7.9 :1 double reduction axle, or 42 teeth for the Worm drive rear axle, the centre distance between the primary shaft, and the countershaft is the same. This means that technically, the 42 tooth gearbox for the worm axle doesn't mesh the gears at the normal ( ideal) depth of engagement.

Edited by antarmike

Quick one, for you, i have been offered a Matador, looks reasonably straight, in original military trim, i.e. it still has its back body etc, not a timber conversion.

It is a diesel, and the cylinder head is blowing, how hard are cylinder head gaskets to get hold of?

And does anybody have any reading material in the form of manuals etc, as i dont know a vast amount about them, other than i like them!

Oddities as far as i can see, are the cab bolted down solid at the front, and the winch has been removed, leaving all of the fairleads in place.

I dont know what the chassis number is as i couldnt find it, and its presently painted in RAF colours, although not sure if it is ex RAF as it may of been restored many moons ago that way

Any help greatly appreciated!:)

Driffield, that will be the road run the Police marshalled, and directed where to park then!

I seem to remember the road ahead was completely blocked with staionary steam engines, in which case the Douglas wasn't parked. it was just waiting for queued traffic to clear!

Thanks for clearing that one up mike , i didnt think for one minute that Wincher Fincher would ever fall foul of mr plod:stop:please accept my sincere apoligies and now that the Antar is back on the road (well done) dont run me over with it at Rushden Cavalcade.:shake::shake:

What are matadors rated to carry? I seem to remeber seeing a b/w picture of one with a cat d4 on its back...

Unladen weight 7 Ton 8Cwt 1 Qtr

Laden 10 Ton 17 Cwt 0 Qtrs

Carrying capacity is approx 3 Ton 9 Cwt. (can't be bothered with the Quarters....)

Classified as Tractor G.S. 10 Ton 4x4

or Truck , 3 ton, G.S. , Cargo 4x4

Varies slightly with type of body fitted...

On the subject of mismatched diffs...

I met a guy from Gloucestershire once who told me he used to take loads of timber up to Scotland with a Matador.

The Matador had the normal 7.9:1 diffs in it, but before making the empty return journey he would fit a 6.25:1 high speed diff in the rear.

The rear diff on a Matador sits on top of the axle. With simple lifting gear it's only a matter of removing about 30 bolts or nuts to change it, there's no need to drain the oil.

Once back in Gloucestershire he would refit the low speed diff ready for the loaded trip North.

Sorry, I might not have been clear... Its been messed about with- someone has put either a 6.25 diff or complete axle on it. Makes it intresting to use in four wheel drive, as it needs to be on soft ground to avoid wind up!

You ought to team up with Ed Batchelor, he's got mixed ratios and found driving in FWD interesting. Perhaps between you, you could get two FWD capable Matadors running!

Head gaskets are available from several sources, including Deanfield Commercials in Lancashire - call Charlie on 01200 429448 / 07946325575.

I have a high speed diff matador (the one attached to other end of Round timber club banner on matador gallery photos) the cab is now rather sad:cry:. What was the speed difference between diff ratios?

max speed x 7.9/6.25 if going from 7.9 to 6.25 or max speed x 6.25/7.9 if going from 6.25 to 7.9:coffee:

PS Are you Ben's bruv with the glow in the dark Amazon?

Edited by radiomike7

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Another Hippy wagon Richard,Just noticed the bell tent ,same as me dads he used to take us camping,cooked using biscuit tin ,sand and petrol,thought he was still in the desert with the 8th army i think.:rofl:

max speed x 7.9/6.25 if going from 7.9 to 6.25 or max speed x 6.25/7.9 if going from 6.25 to 7.9:coffee:

PS Are you Ben's bruv with the glow in the dark Amazon?

that me, its now called the ready brek truck.

Ask ben about the land speed record in my douglas:shake::shake::shake:!!!!:stop: