Matador Gallery

Whatever they design criteria for the Mountaineer was it was being used in civilian Heavy Haulage and found wanting, before the Constructor came on the scene.

Not much doubt about that, I can't imagine that any truck has ever been used in heavy haulage and NOT found wanting!! They must have all been loaded up until their limit has been reached. It's all part of the evolutionary process

And the Constructor was designed to do what the Mountaineer had been tried at and failed.

Have you not considered the possibility that the Constructor might have been designed to also do things the Mountaineer had never tried, and never been intended to do?

It would be far more correct to state that the Antar Mk2/3 had been designed to do what the Mk1 had been tried at and failed

And what about the good old Pioneer? That was hauling heavy loads before and after Mountaineer came on the scene. Surely the Constructor could be seen more as an evolution of that old stalwart (which by the '50s must also have been found wanting :sweat:) than a re-design of Mountaineer?

It would be far more correct to state that the Antar Mk2/3 had been designed to do what the Mk1 had been tried at and failed [/COL]

The mark 2 Antar was mechanically identical to the Mk1. it had the same engine, gearbox (and gearbox ratios) and axles. Some literature refers to versions of the Mk2 as the mark1b, they are so similar. I therefore totally fail to understand your statement.

There was a few detail changes to the mk1 to produce the mark2 Namely a different winch, resited fuel tanks and a wooden ballast body instead of a steel one. And versions of the Mk2 were built as an Artic tractor.

The Mk 3 was a redesign but it had less gears, and generally was less well liked, but it did have more power.

The Mark 1 and 2 had a stated gross train weight of 140 tons, wehereas the mark3 was rated at 106.5 Tons.

The Mark 3 couldn't do what the mark 1 and 2 could!

The mark 3 was designed because the Army wanted to move away from Petrol as a fuel. The Gearboxes were redesigned to make the Antar easier to drive, by giving it only one gearstick (but lossing half the ratios as a result), It had long been recognised, that the two gear lever arrangement of the Mark 1 and 2 needed physical strength and stamina, and a fair amount of skill. The design of the Mk 3 wasn't forced on the Army because the 1's and 2's couldn't do the job. All three marks continued to run alonside each other for years.

The mark 3 was modernised for fuel harmonisation, and to improve the driver's lot. It resulted in a less capable, and more unreliable vehicle.

The Mk 3 saw the gear ratios of the Auxiliary box altered. This was to increase road speed.

This result of the changed ratios (less reduction) was to reduce the available tractive effort available, and this somewhat countered the increased engine power.

The Mark 3 was designed to move a 50 or 52 ton tank at a reasonable speed (average about 12 mph.) It was only ever sold as a tank transporter, never for general heavy haulage.

The Mk1 and 2 grew out of a civilian design that exceeded the Army's requirement and the mark 3 with less gears was argueably less capable than the Mark 1 and 2. In fact apart from engine there is virtually no difference between the Snowy Mountain Antars and the Mark2. The Army mark 1 and 2 Petrol Meteorite actually raised the gross train weight of the Civilian Diesel meteorite engined Antar from 130 to 140 Tons.

The Antar that was the direct inspiration for the Mk1 and 2 was sold as "Britain's biggest road tractor., used by engineering contractors for the moving of heavy individual loads . Recommended at a gross weight with trailer of 130 tons." which is why I say it exceeded the Army's requiremnts and they were able to downrate to the Mark 3 [at 106.5 Tons]( with it's limiting choice of gear ratios)for moving Cents and Cheftains.

Even Conquereor was a lighter load than the Mark 1 and 2 had been designed for. But Conquereror was out of service at about the same time the Mk3 entered service, I don't imagine that the design of the Mk3 invisiged its use with the lame duck Conqueror.

And the mk3 had a weight penalty of 2 to 3 tons heavier in the tractor unit weight compared to the Mk 2, so the actual load it could shift within the permitted Max combined weight was even less!

"It would be far more correct to state that the Antar Mk2/3 had been designed to do what the Mk1 had been tried at and failed " ... sorry afraid not.

Edited by antarmike

Pickfords bought some of the first Mountaineers with an expectation of what they would do. They did not meet their expectations and were all sold very quickly, replaced by Constructors.

I fully accept that the Constructor was designed and expected to out perform the Mountaineer, but I still maintain that the Mountaineer was originally offered as a heavy haulage tractor, and it wasn't very good at the job. (although some famous ones like RUP 900 did many years of outstanding work.)

Edited by antarmike

Well my understanding is that the Mountaineer was a 4x4 development of the Oilfields truck, and built primarily to service an export market far, far greater than our own heavy haulage market at the time - they were used for all manner of applications. And yes inevtiably they eventually found their way into the UK heavy haulage market.

I believe they were sold as a 60T GTW tractor for UK haulage applications - and at this loading I'm sure they were quite adequate.

I'm sure you are right that Pickfords found them wanting - no doubt they really wanted something bigger and were obviously wrong to think they could do the job of an 80 tonner 6 wheeler, be it 6x4 or 6x6. Their fault, not Mountaineer's!

It seems they had to wait until Scammell saw an export market big enough to justify development of a new breed of truck.....CONSTRUCTOR!

We have a lot to thank the rest of the world for!

Even while fitted with a gearbox designed for an 80 HP petrol engine!

It's taken a while but I'm so pleased to see you've finally come round to our way of thinking and acknowledged what a really superb piece of design the Scammell gearbox is. I knew you would in the end. You're any Scammell enthusiast's best mate now. Good for you. It makes me feel I ought to say something nice about the Antar in return and I'm sure, when I can think of something nice to say about that big girl's blouse of a lorry, I will.

wow, les - all that from one photograph!

Yet nobody suggested it might have been taken in mid 1966 at Boldre Wood in the new forest, and that the 30 ton 98ft long timbers were destined to become a radar mast once they had been to Burt Bolton's timber yard for treatment

got any more like that? :-d

:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

• 2 weeks later...
Can this one be in the Gallery, too ? It has been restored by a local fellow and was at a country Veterans Re-union (in West Australia) earlier this month, together with the Cent.

Jack

A very nice Dorchester ACV. Have you got any close up shots Jack?

17 years or so ago, I heard there was just a body in WA and the owner was looking for a Matador chassis to mount it on. I wonder if this was the one?

It has been restored by a local fellow and was at a country Veterans Re-union (in West Australia) earlier this month, together with the Cent.

Hello Jack,

Is that the ACV that Bob Dimer was restoring? It looks great.....please pass on my regards when you next speak to him (we were both on BTTT and Trackers 2000)

Richard

ekawrecker/Richard,

This is the vehicle that Bob assembled from (large) bits he found around the country - but it has changed hands twice, since then. The current owner has done significant work on the cosmetics of the vehicle and continues to put in major effort on the mechanics.

I understand that there were 7 of these things in the country during WW2, but imagine that this might be the only survivor.

I took part in the Trackers 2005 run to the Alice and am thinking about 2010 ...

A couple of pics I took some months ago are below:

3033257106_1512a6abe1.jpg

3033257114_e97130c35d.jpg

Edited by mazungumagic

This is the vehicle that Bob assembled from (large) bits he found around the country - but it has changed hands twice, since then. The current owner has done significant work on the cosmetics of the vehicle and continues to put in major effort on the mechanics.

Thanks Jack,

I had seen photos of the inside before restoration and it has been transformed now, credit to all those involved.

:tup::

So, has this 6x6 been shortened up a little or has someone cobbled an alien bogie onto a Matador? Looks a well-balanced truck whichever.

Sorry N.O.S. I don't know anything about this AEC. This picture and a few others I've recently posted were sent to me by a friend. I'm just trying to find out some background from him and will post details if and when I can.

Sorry N.O.S. I don't know anything about this AEC. This picture and a few others I've recently posted were sent to me by a friend. I'm just trying to find out some background from him and will post details if and when I can.

22-11-2008090446.jpg

I feel sure it is this one that turned up at Charlbury Rally Oxon three years on the trot. I know the Constructor ballast body was taken off and sold. Explains the plywood body. The Cab roof is three flat panels, and someone has now screwed a curved panel in front of the roof to disguise it's odd lines!

It is a genuine O854, with proper rear bogey, and when I last saw it was still full length. Is this photo a trick of the eye, foreshortened by use of a telephoto lens perhaps?

Wheelbase looks the same to me and that is full length...

Edited by antarmike