All Warriors to be sold off.

ajmac

If a large number of AFV's are declared obsolete in one go they are more likely to scrap them rather than flood the civilian market.

There must be hundreds rebuilt of FV432 in storage forgetting the Warriors and CVRT the Ajax is designed to replace.   They won't want boy racers by tracked AFV's cheap.

The Ajax and particularly Boxer are also years off being ready to field large numbers of vehicles so nothing will happen in a hurry.

They have been completely stripping AS90s which are based on Warrior at work for the past year to use as spares for Warrior as there has been a shortage of spare parts. We still have another 4 AS90s still to strip, will they get stripped or sold off?

Husky is already being sold off and the Cougar variants, Mastiff Ridgback and Wolfhound are going out of service, the big question is when will they go?

12 Ridgebacks and Mastiffs re-engineered (take a look at hugely improved ground clearance) for UCR in Mali. I thought it was news... the website says contract was awarded last May. https://npaerospace.com/ridgback-and-mastiff-upgrade-for-mali-operation/

So maybe not all the 'armoured' trucks and Warriors will be sold off/cut up?

Ajax doesn't have the same capability as Warrior in that it can't carry a full infantry section....if I've read correctly. Boxer? Don't know. Everything is under-armed and a muddle of wheeled and tracked. No capability to fire a missile from under armour. No long range/smart heavy artillery to count of (AS90 is a relic, the few left in service) , no long range thermobaric missile systems, no anti-aircraft/missile protection, no armoured divisions, no armoured brigades, no agreement for 20 years on strategy, formations etc. We'll be safe though, we have laptops and the 'invulnerable' interweb. Apologies, it's not Libya-sand-coloured stuff.

15 hours ago, johnwardle said:

They have been completely stripping AS90s which are based on Warrior at work for the past year to use as spares for Warrior as there has been a shortage of spare parts. We still have another 4 AS90s still to strip, will they get stripped or sold off?

Husky is already being sold off and the Cougar variants, Mastiff Ridgback and Wolfhound are going out of service, the big question is when will they go?

Warrior and AS90 are completely different.  Very little will be compatible apart from obvious items like weapon clips.

1 hour ago, TJSB said:

Warrior and AS90 are completely different.  Very little will be compatible apart from obvious items like weapon clips.

All the running gear, engine, transmission and road wheels are interchangeable between AS90 and Warrior along with many smaller parts.

53 minutes ago, johnwardle said:

All the running gear, engine, transmission and road wheels are interchangeable between AS90 and Warrior along with many smaller parts.

er, I thought Warrior has the Rolls Royce CV8, while the AS90 has the Cummins

tell me if I'm wrong.........

1 hour ago, terryb said:

er, I thought Warrior has the Rolls Royce CV8, while the AS90 has the Cummins

tell me if I'm wrong.........

2 hours ago, johnwardle said:

Having worked on Warrior and AS90 I can definitely say the only bits you will be swapping is radios, running gear on 90 is hydrogas not torsion bar, totally different powerpacks and transmissions (cummins)ZF vs Perkins/ Allison to start off with 

For clarity, Warrior was developed by GKN and has the RR CV8 and Allison box.  It has single pin track with one pad per link and torsion bar suspension.  AS90 was developed by VSEL before they merged under BAE and has the Cummins VTA903 engine and ZF box.  It has a totally different hull that is bigger than Warrior.  It has double pin track with 2 pads per link with hydrogas suspension.  In service, no-one would go to the effort of trying to see if the Main Assemblies were interchangeable.

• Like 1