Triumph 3SW

pawelcen

Thank you for answer.

The BMW low octane head its similar like Russian M72 (friendly help from Hitler to Stalin). 

I think that the red head it is original. Probably my is modificated to low octane or to higher piston. 

The recess is 1.4mm deep only. I must plant about 1 mm.

Pawel

• 3 weeks later...

I started assembling the cylinder and piston. I have the original two piston E1709 +.020 and +040. I assume this 020.

According to measurements, the pistons are symmetrical. They do not have front / back markings or other mounting method.

Does the assembly manual give any way to align the piston with the cylinder?

Best regards

Pawel

IMG_20210127_165031.jpg

IMG_20210127_165049.jpg

IMG_20210127_164421.jpg

It's usually the split skirt pistons that are marked 'FRONT'. The base of the piston skirt is usually oval by a few thousands on an inch when measured with a micrometer. It's the widest part that you use as the datum for the piston to bore skirt clearance. From memory it's .008" for these Triumphs which seems quite a large gap to me. Maybe these Triumph pistons grow when hot? Or maybe they are tapered from the top? I've never thought to measure that!   Ron

Edited by Ron

These pistons are oval and barrel-shaped. They are symmetrical in relation to the pin. The front and rear walls of the piston skirt are of the same thickness. There are no Front / Side or similar markings. I don't know what the markers F.F. and LH on top of the piston?

I think it doesn't matter how to install the plunger. Pawel

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Another problem solved.
This timing gear cover timing plug E732 was glued in and the cover itself had a damaged thread. The plug was 30 mm. It was larger than the original one. I made a sleeve with the correct thread and a new plug. 

The timing cover is also screwed without a gasket; only with shellac?

I am waiting for valves spring from India. 

I miss one spring valve top collar and split cotter for engine 350 s.v.
Maybe someone has these parts? I am happy to buy.

Best regards.

Before repair .jpg

With sleeve .jpg

Ready to mounting.jpg

With new simmering .jpg

Timing gear.jpg

Crankcase with cover.jpg

I had my misgivings when you said you'd ordered them from India, but it was too late to worn you. Even if they fit, is the spring steel up to the job. Other than maybe a headlamp or a risky toolbox, I would buy nothing from them. Ron

Ron,
Indians produced English Royal Enfield, small BMW, KTM etc ... 😂
I know, but I found an identical one in the USA. Identical photos, but the American ones are Terrys. 🤣
I think both are from India.
I have to look further. Maybe someone will do me according to the samples.

Pawel

I know they do Pawel. In computer guided operations and to proper standards. Not by a Wallah sitting in the sand banging stuff out on a rock.  An awful lot of their workmanship is diabolical!! I pity the fool who risks his life on a set of their girder forks😣Ron

Pawel have you done some sort of tests on the castings? The ones I've seen and heard about are poor cast iron sand castings instead of cast steel. Would you believe I've even seen Triumph forks with the grease nipples cast in, because they didn't even remove them during the sand molding.  Ron

PS Those are 3HW forks, .....your spring looks twisted?

Ron, I know it could be cast iron. But the Germans also used cast iron in the NSU during the war. It's just that German cast iron will be better than Indian cast steel. 😆
For now, I am putting it together to make it complete. Maybe I can buy an original one.
The spring is rolled up the other way. Does not fit the sockets.
It is ok without pressure, like in museum. Ha, ha.

I will not ride on this.
Thanks for the warning.

Pawel

• Haha 1

Sadly, there is a large-scale fraud going on with a number of Indian eBay sellers....Jan posed as a buyer on another group. It appears to be common practice to photograph a genuine item and then sell poor quality look-alikes. Presumably they hope that feedback will be left before the buyers find out that things don't fit.

I was able to get the valve spring collar with split cotter from the Zundapp 750. The dimensions are almost identical. The difference is 0.1 - 0.3 mm. The important dimensions are identical.
I'm waiting for the valve springs from Austria and I'm ready to close the engine.
Regards and thank you for yours help.

Pawel

IMG_20210316_194217.jpg

IMG_20210316_194239.jpg

Hi,
I started making petrol pipes.
Were the U pipe and pipe from the tap to the carburetor coated with dull chrome?                                                                          Was the civil version different from the military version? Polish chrome?
Regards

Pawel