Triumph 3SW

pawelcen

Pawel. Bare in mind that the clutch rollers for a Triumph are not the standard 1/4 x 1/4 rollers. They are in fact about 12 thousands of an inch shorter in the length. The standard rollers will give you no end of trouble and grinding of gears. 

Ron

PS you can of course grind some off the end of 1/4" rollers.

https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/70742/clutch-roller-1596669875/#57-0394

Edited by Ron

Thank you Ron. I remember. :)

Thanks to a colleague who has machine tools, I designed and regenerated the bearing in accordance with the technology from the 1950s.

From calculations it turned out that 17 rolls must be 7.5mm in diameter. The play between the rollers is 0.03 mm. Outer diameter 48.5 mm. Inner diameter 35.5 mm. Roll length 5.83 mm (play 0,1 mm). 

Repair description:

1. Outer ring after grinding the hole and surfaces

2. Machining of the inner ring of the bearing

3. Cutting rolls to the correct length with an allowance

4. Surface grinding of a set of 17 rollers

5. Grinding the side of the roll

6. Each piece quality control

7. From left 3 long bearing rollers, 3 partially machined rollers, 17 finished rollers

8. Clutch bearing after repair.

Pawel 

1. Outer ring after grinding the hole.jpg

2. Machining of the inner ring of the bearing.jpg

3. Cutting rolls to the correct length with an allowance.jpg

4. Surface grinding of a set of 17 rollers.jpg

5. Grinding the side of the roll.jpg

6. Each piece quality control..jpg

7. From left 3 long bearing rollers, 3 partially machined rollers, 17 finished rollers.jpg

8. Clutch bearing after repair..jpg

Edited by pawelcen
  • Like 2

Pawel, I see you made the roller thickness bigger, so you could use the existing (damaged) parts, is there still enough hardness left in the material?  I seem to remember with the 6,35 rollers, there was a bit bigger gap between the rollers, but it's probably OK.

Good work!

Lex

Thanks Lex,
I was counting according to the scheme given by prof. Trzebiatowsky.
40 years ago I regenerated the clutch for my other Triumph according to these calculations. Today it looks like the picture, so I guess I figured it out well. There was less damage there and the rollers were about 6.5 mm.

Regards

Pawel

image.thumb.jpeg.579c2b3e3c28aa423c45326fd540d2e2.jpegimage.jpeg.52fb20dad9c2820b6145d8b84d5a2652.jpeg

• Like 2

OK, well, you have to keep in mind, that probably 90-95% of the time this bearing is not in use, well only as a spacer, the 2 parts only turn at different speeds when the clutch is disengaged.

So it will last, as long as you keep some grease on it.

Lex

Edited by welbike
additional info

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the option to buy a 3H engine with a gearbox and clutch from 1943. Can I convert a 3 SW engine to a 3H motor? 

I would have one military s.v. and a second civilian o.h.v.

Or maybe it's better to leave s.v.?

What do you think about it?

Work on the military is progressing. Unfortunately slow.

Pawel

image.thumb.jpeg.dd96e9dff8a168e2c2805aba563ab1a0.jpeg

Pawel as you probably already know, the same frame was used for 3SW- 5SW -3HW. so an engine swap is straight forward.

But if you're asking about converting a 3SW engine to 3HW? Then I'd want to study the crankcases to see about push rod tube allignment etc. Also the conrods/pistons are different. Ron

• 2 months later...

That is not a cup Pawel, it's a cap.You have two cups and two cones for the balls to run in. Then a top cap as a dirt excluder/Watershed...... Like a large washer with the edge turned over. 

3HW 043 (2).jpg

Edited by Ron

Thank's Ron,

Of course it's a cap. 😀

Does it have a hole or groove for lubrication?
There is a grease hole in the head clip and a second for positioning (?) cap.
There is also a groove in the bearing cone.
I don't know if it's original.

Regards

Pawel

image.jpeg

Sorry Ron,

for not replying but I didn't have access to the forum. After restarting the computer and refreshing the software, it works.😀

This top part of mine has a different lubrication. ???? One grease nipple is cheaper than two. Maybe it's savings in the war time?
Eccentric bolt, nut and sleeve (clamps 6, 7, 😎 it's a same like in the picture for 3HW.
Also the steering damper (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27) is the same as for 3HW.

The top part from India is similar to yours, but the clamp is different.
The widths are the same as the fork: 154.9 mm and 162.2 mm. My old and Indian copy are the same width.

Old is green in the pictures. Blue is an Indian copy.

Pawel

image.thumb.jpeg.0395ac1279c6ac2f9a0f8548a590d634.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6a9b44a5f44a86421f19dedc95411c45.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d8f0539b714f99f1f56d28c97a0ec967.jpeg

Edited by pawelcen

Yes the site was shut for upgrades for 24 hours.

But I'm confused with your pictures and measurements?

The WEBB forks fitted to 3HW are much wider (Aprox 159mm between the top links) than the Triumph forks on the SW models. (Aprox 126mm between top links)

Your green forks are not 3HW but your blue forks are?? How can they be the same width?

Ron???

DSCF5215 (2).JPG

DSCF5214 (2).JPG