Triumph 3SW

pawelcen

Hi,

in my 1939 catalog it's the same as in yours, Ron.

As for the numbering of the Harley Davidson WLA in Poland, there is also the same problem. The registration office may issue a frame number. But all of them already have their numbers stamped by the demobilization office after the war.
The same problem is with the Triumphs, where there is no nameplate. My motorcycle has a plate issued by a military office or during demobilization. The second one doesn't have a plate and I will make replacement name plate to the correct frame and engine numbers.

A universal replacement plate can be attached and confirmed at the  Vehicle Inspection Station (MOT).
Cheers

Pawel

34 35 _1.jpg

Edited by pawelcen

Hi Ron,

perhaps I spelled it wrong in English.
In Poland, you can make a nameplate legally.
I will also do this after rebuilding the bike. I'm not doing anything illegal in Poland.
I attach an extract from the legal provisions from government site  with partial translation: 

https://bip.poznan.pl/bip/sprawy/zgoda-na-nadanie-numeru-vin-wydanie-zastepczej-tabliczki-znamionowej,1754/

Nowy numer VIN wraz z tabliczką znamionową nadaje się, gdy (The new VIN number with the name plate is suitable when:):

• wymieniłeś ramę lub podwozie pojazdu na inne bez numeru fabrycznego (you have replaced the frame or chassis of the vehicle with another without a serial number);
  • numer VIN został zatarty lub sfałszowany:
    • pojazd kupiłeś z licytacji publicznej/ od komornika,
    • posiadasz prawomocne orzeczenie sądu potwierdzające własność pojazdu,
    • odzyskałeś pojazd po kradzieży;
  • numer VIN uległ skorodowaniu lub zniszczeniu podczas wypadku drogowego/naprawy (VIN number has been corroded or damaged in a road accident / repair);
  • posiadasz pojazd zabytkowy bez numeru VIN (you have a historic vehicle without a VIN).

Tabliczkę znamionową zastępczą wydaje się gdy(The replacement nameplate is issued when:):

• tabliczka znamionowa została zagubiona, zniszczona lub w przypadku jej braku (nameplate has been lost, destroyed, or if it was not);
  • zmieniłeś numer VIN.

Aby nadać numer VIN/uzyskać zastępczą tabliczkę wypełnij wniosek, następnie wydrukuj go i podpisz. Jeżeli nie możesz go wydrukować wypełnisz go u nas.

Do wniosku załącz następujące dokumenty (I enclose the following documents with the application):

• dowód opłaty (payment),
  • opinię rzeczoznawcy samochodowego, jeżeli numer VIN uległ skorodowaniu lub zniszczeniu podczas wypadku drogowego/naprawy albo masz pojazd zabytkowy bez numeru VIN (an opinion of a car expert, if the VIN has been corroded or damaged during a road accident / repair or you have a historic vehicle without a VIN).

Best regards

Pawel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
I have another problem with the engine construction.
In my motor, the shaft bearing was converted to metric bearings and a simmering sealant was added.
Now I want to fit the original inch bearings. And I have a question about the bearings on the clutch side.
Is there any bushing or seal between RLS8 and RLS9?
Best regards.

Pawel

There is an important spacer between the the bearings. #E510 Brian has made them so he said to email him for the dimensions. A seal was added to the 3HW main bearings which is always destroyed and no replacements available. However the outer bearing could be a sealed type with the inner seal removed.  

Hi Ron,
thank you for the information. I needed a confirmation.
Do you know how much longitudinal play the crankshaft should have? I put on about 0.1 - 0.2 mm. I do not know if it's good?
I have bearings without seals. It will be like the original, i.e. greased shoes. 😂

Thanks to Jan, I have an original magneto advance lever. Mine was broken.

Stay healtly.

Pawel

Handlebar left side .jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello.
Unfortunately, I have to revoke my recommendation for LUXENS heat-resistant varnish. I put the carburetor in modern unleaded fuel for a few minutes - unfortunately it rubs off easily afterwards.
What clear coat did you use Ron and what paint did you use, Lex?
Best regards.

Pawel

This is the stuff I have Pawel as recommended by another forum member and bought by post from a model shop in a town called Swindon......"BUT" firstly I have never given it an extreme test like you and always avoid petrol getting on parts as best I can. The other thing is that Health and Safety rules dictate that these products must now be safe for a toddler to drink!!! The owner of the model shop told me that the original product had changed to meet new H&S regulations and the name was slightly changed.......And now I can't remember if I have the original or the modified product?  Maybe someone else can enlighten us?  Ron

DSCF3390.jpg

I think you're right Lex. I've had problems with the nozzles clogging up.

Nothing is like it used to be....Nitromores- -Humbrol enamels--Hammarite paint.....All bloody useless now. Ron

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Hi,

I put the engine together on old bearings.
Collars made to the dimensions given by Brian. 

The bearing spacer is 1 7/16" outside diameter.

1" inside diameter and 5/32" thick.

Many thanks Brian.
Everything fits, the shaft turns. 😁
Unfortunately, I have to do another painting. As you can see, I had to remove the previous varnish.
Regards from Poland.

Pawel

IMG_20201211_125005.jpg

IMG_20201211_125042.jpg

IMG_20201211_125604.jpg

IMG_20201211_123724.jpg