Scrap yard relics...

Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt the trailer used to move 20' ISO container around?

Mark

I don't think so, Mark - a friend picked one up from Withams with a load of odd stuff and I had a good look at it as he couldn't work out what it was for, but as far as we could make out it was purpose made for a non-iso military container.

• 1 month later...

Another weekend, another trip to the junkyards

A Stonefield Goomba

[ATTACH]45652[/ATTACH]

A few bits of junk in the boot

[ATTACH]45653[/ATTACH]

And what the hell is this as I found it at the yard that had Ferret and other assorted FV bits. Is it a special tool for FV's or is it soon to be scrap metal? I had to buy it out of sheer curiosity :blush:

[ATTACH]45651[/ATTACH]

Not actually in a scrapyard, but looks near enough. Found these today while collecting Militant parts. The Militant is currently on Ebay as breaking for spares, the owner says the others are awaiting restoration. Not too sure about the last one, not much left to restore!

DSC00911 web.jpg

DSC00912 web.jpg

DSC00913 web.jpg

DSC00910 web.jpg

What are the crosses about?

just the local demilitarisation. Seen them do the same in Pakistan also.

I believe in Malaysian exarmy vehicles were used twice for dubious reasons, hence you cannot keep the original paint job

So the tool is not Ferret? Which means I can safely cut it up

Bottom pic is a Zil 131, minus cab. Is the Kraz 255b for sale?

The guy said they were all awaiting restoration, but you never know, money talks. His name's Fray could be worth a call

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
Remove phone number

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had the time to go right thru this thread yet so some of these yards may well be mentioned...but..

..I don't know if any of you have used a scrapyard near Hurstbourne/Andover way called J Hirst Ltd?....they're at the old Hurstbourne Railway Station....in the mid 90s they were cutting up a lot and I mean a LOT of Chieftains plus many other military vehicles.They literally had rows of Chietains...probably about 20 or 30 of them and they had devised a cutting method that meant they could reduce one to scrap size in about 3 days...they even had a massive old vertical miller machine tool set up alongside the cutting bay... they fitted the road wheels on and the attachment they had rigged up ripped the rubber tyre off the steel wheel. I bought a lot of gear off them during those years and was in the yard quite regularly...........other vehicles they were cutting included lots of ex Northern Ireland Humber Pigs and also small armoured cars (not sure what but sort of Ferret sized of one sort and another)....they also had quite a few armoured Landrovers and a couple that I recognised as (I think?) Shorlands?...landrovers with a little turret on the top of them...I haven't been there for many years so really don't know if they are still involved in that sort of trade or if there is anything left at the back of the yard these days but they also sold tonnes of military surplus kit too so they may well be worth a mooch........

Another cracking yard is up by Coventry owned by a Marselle de Moulder..(yeah I know...helluva name!).he's a nice fella and I did a lot of deals with him too.....his yard is (or was ... might be long gone now) an absolute treasure trove...mainly big heavy stuff...in particular he had some very big US gun tractors that looked 60s ish to me.....also lots of earthmovers,cranes,lorries , Landrovers and Unimogs and trucks and lots of it ex military...no armour but worth a mooch if you're up that way........

Also there's a few nice bits still around down my way ....especially 2 Matadors that I know of albeit quite rough now in a sawmill yard long disused.........

Another trip to the junkyards. Most interesting is the Bedford which is not standard Malaysian Army so I guess UK MoD gave it to them

Also a Stonefield with the Goomba upgrade, pity one of these is not preserved in the UK as were never released there or adopted by the MoD

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46572[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46573[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46575[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46577[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46574[/ATTACH]

Another trip to the junkyards. Most interesting is the Bedford which is not standard Malaysian Army so I guess UK MoD gave it to them

Also a Stonefield with the Goomba upgrade, pity one of these is not preserved in the UK as were never released there or adopted by the MoD

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46577[/ATTACH]

Hi Mike.

Its a Leyland DAF

British Army DAF

Another cracking yard is up by Coventry owned by a Marselle de Moulder..(yeah I know...helluva name!).he's a nice fella and I did a lot of deals with him too.....his yard is (or was ... might be long gone now) an absolute treasure trove...mainly big heavy stuff...in particular he had some very big US gun tractors that looked 60s ish to me.QUOTE]

Bob

"US gun tractors" - were these big six wheeled trucks or unarmoured tracked vehicles with a typicaly american cargo body for the gun crew and stores and small one man cabs for the driver and co-driver on the front corners with the engine between. Some had an optional bulldozer blade as well. If so they are M8A1/A2 Cargo Tractors many of which got converted into drilling rigs and the like in civvy hands but I had not heard of any in the UK. Has anyone been to this yard recently?

David

Another cracking yard is up by Coventry owned by a Marselle de Moulder..(yeah I know...helluva name!).he's a nice fella and I did a lot of deals with him too.....his yard is (or was ... might be long gone now) an absolute treasure trove...mainly big heavy stuff...in particular he had some very big US gun tractors that looked 60s ish to me.QUOTE]

Bob

"US gun tractors" - were these big six wheeled trucks or unarmoured tracked vehicles with a typicaly american cargo body for the gun crew and stores and small one man cabs for the driver and co-driver on the front corners with the engine between. Some had an optional bulldozer blade as well. If so they are M8A1/A2 Cargo Tractors many of which got converted into drilling rigs and the like in civvy hands but I had not heard of any in the UK. Has anyone been to this yard recently?

David

hiya Dave....

they were 6x6 trucks and mighty impressive too...

..a little like a lot bigger and more modern versions of Diamond Ts or Ward La Frances but shorter in the chassis and with a more 'military' look to the cab and general design......they had flat bonnets / hoods and I remember climbing in one and the name plate said something along the lines of 'US M??? Heavy Motive Tracter' ...or words to that effect.....they looked like they were rigged to pull draw bar trailers (or guns?) ...they didn't have a bed of any sort on the back just storage lockers for I guess chains/blocks/tackle etc...

I don't know if Marselle is still around or in business but this link should show you his yard..

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=52.4513673&lon=-1.4327288&z=16&l=0&m=b

..........it does however look like there has been one heck of a clearup compared to what it looked like in the mid 90s though!.....happy hunting..

..I don't know if any of you have used a scrapyard near Hurstbourne/Andover way called J Hirst Ltd?....they're at the old Hurstbourne Railway Station....in the mid 90s they were cutting up a lot and I mean a LOT of Chieftains plus many other military vehicles.They literally had rows of Chietains...probably about 20 or 30 of them and they had devised a cutting method that meant they could reduce one to scrap size in about 3 days...they even had a massive old vertical miller machine tool set up alongside the cutting bay... they fitted the road wheels on and the attachment they had rigged up ripped the rubber tyre off the steel wheel. I bought a lot of gear off them during those years and was in the yard quite regularly...........other vehicles they were cutting included lots of ex Northern Ireland Humber Pigs and also small armoured cars (not sure what but sort of Ferret sized of one sort and another)....they also had quite a few armoured Landrovers and a couple that I recognised as (I think?) Shorlands?...landrovers with a little turret on the top of them...I haven't been there for many years so really don't know if they are still involved in that sort of trade or if there is anything left at the back of the yard these days but they also sold tonnes of military surplus kit too so they may well be worth a mooch........

Unfortunately the days of Hirsts handling complete vehicles are long gone - I was talking to Neil Hirst about this a couple of months back. When MOD ran their disposals direct from Ludgershall, Hirsts were the obvious local choice. Now it's all handled by Withams the vehicles are scrapped "Up North" - there's no sense in transporting them back down South again.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Some more bits:

NOS Land Rover dizzy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48404[/ATTACH]

Fancy cleaning cans

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48405[/ATTACH]

A box of Pinz bits :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48403[/ATTACH]

then mystery item, 24V armature. I saw a few of these and the box was old, any ideas????

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48402[/ATTACH]

That's a very nice dissy, I have three spare of those, including one converted to electronic. One of them came from Kuala Lumpur, and another I picked up for £40 at Newbury 4x4 and Vintage. Nearly had the chaps arm off when he said how much he wanted!

Unfortunately the days of Hirsts handling complete vehicles are long gone - I was talking to Neil Hirst about this a couple of months back. When MOD ran their disposals direct from Ludgershall, Hirsts were the obvious local choice. Now it's all handled by Withams the vehicles are scrapped "Up North" - there's no sense in transporting them back down South again.

Andy

Ludgershall? Bottom! That's where I live! Nothing here now as far as I know/can see. :undecided:

From the now cleared yard of Beke, Paris:

A brace of Diamond Ts, just resting up for a while.....

GMC wooden bodies, complete with loads.....

A bit of everything....

The odd Pacific 5th wheel or two....

DSC03617.jpg

DSC03619.jpg

DSC03622.jpg

DSC03625.jpg