Canadian Lanc visiting the UK this year

ArtistsRifles

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clear skies ?

I'm sat on airfield north of Scampton and can assure you the weather is fairly crap.

cloud base of 2500-3000ft, broken in places, scattered showers and due to get worse later.

However, there's still a chance it could break if the wind pushes it out.

We've just stuck the covers back on the aircraft.

I spy a bit of blue sky...

I ment off the coast of Iceland smart guy.

Lets hope that this historic occasion builds enough enthusiasm and excitement to get another Lancaster or two that we have in museums here back in the air. Now that would be mind blowing!!!!

I would give money to that project.

COME ON!

The only other UK Lanc likely to fly again is Just Jane at East Kirkby. The RAF & IWM Lancs will never see daylight again, never mind air under their wings.

The only other option is the Kermit Weeks Lancaster in the US, crushed at Woodford in the UK, when the hangar collapsed on it. ( The pictures get more sad as you scroll down the page - http://www.timefadesaway.co.uk/strathallan/kb976/kb_976_7.html )

I believe Kermits Lanc has sat in ISOs for years and has never been looked at to check for deteriation. I think it used to be the one that was a runner in Scotland and was at Woodford for restoration when the roof collapsed. It's a shamebut it will only ever be a composite of airframes and the chances of it getting rebuilt anytime in the near to middle future are slim.

Slim in Kermit's hands, he has too many other toys to care about a crushed Lancaster, but it is a restoreable airframe, and I'm sure would be sold for the right price. I can't see any of the other world wide museums parting with any of their Lancs, which is why I think "JJ" and the Weeks Lanc are the only two likely candidates.

Both Lanc's due to fly at the airborne show on the south coast in Eastborne this thurs to sunday... four day event!!! I stay down there every year for the weekend... looking fwd to seeing two lanc's thundering over the town and along coast!!! also they some times have a surprise guest!! Vulcan would be nice!!! fingers crossed sat should be the best weather wise!!

http://www.visiteastbourne.com/airbourne/

The reason for the 2x Lancs and Vulcan on the 21st is the official turf cutting ceremony of the new Lincolnshire Bomber Command Memorial centre.

The day will see the first steps made into the construction of this new memorial dedicated to the crews of Bomber Command, followed by a flypast of the three aircraft.

Edited by Desert Rat

The Dunsfold Wings & Wheels press launch got off to a sunny start today (12th August 2014) as the Aerodrome's resident DC3 took to the skies with the Old Flying Machine Company's P-51 Mustang to kick off the 10 day count down to the Show.

Well known for adding a little extra magic in the air with some memorable and unusual formation displays, Wings & wheels confirmed that a very special tribute is planned to commemorate the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

Eight aircraft from the Second World War will grace the skies above the Aerodrome in a two section flypast. Section one will comprise of the Old Flying Machine Company's Spitfire and Mustang, Aces High Dakota DC3 and the RNAFHF B25 Mitchell. With a separation, section two will be formed by the Canadian Lancaster and BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane in section two.

All these aircraft have history with Dunsfold Aerodrome as well as having played vital roles in the Second World War and will display on both days along with a collection of Military Vehicles and much more.

- And as ive previously mentioned - Red Arrows,Wingwalkers,Vulcan,Canberra,appache and much more in the 5 hr air display !

Both Lancs flew together today three times, they have just completed an evening practise with Spitfire & Hurricane in tow, ready for the Authority display tomorrow and onto Biggin Hill for the weekend.

The sight & sound of two Lancs landing in the low evening sun was spine tingling!

Just one teaser pic from earlier:

DSCF3463.JPG

Edited by Jon8910