Canadian Lanc visiting the UK this year

ArtistsRifles

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fly with it, not on it, isn't it? The site says flying in a 'twin engine observer plane' alongside the Lanc.

Yes, for £2150 you can fly alongside but originally they were offering flights on the Lanc both in the UK and even on the trip from Canada which sold out within a couple of days.

Plans afoot to get the two Lancs and the Vulcan up as a trio!

Now, that would be a sight to behold.

I think they will be flying the three on the 21st for a flypast during the turf cutting at the Lincolnshire Bomber Command Memorial.

Marvin - just a heads up, I heard a rumour that the Police are closing and blocking the roads around Coningsby when the Lanc comes in from Canada to stop people getting too near and blocking the roads.... (how ironic)

Only here in the UK can the authorities put a downer on any reason for celebration.

Hopefully someone will see sense and allow as many to view as possible.

Does anybody know the lancs call sign? Thanks

From the WS19 group:

Flight delayed…. # 2 engine flooded…pulling plugs to dry her out…

New carburetor apparently is a bit cranky….don’t want to be between Iceland and the UK

with engine trouble…

(sorry this isn’t exactly directly radio related)

Big news over here though...

VE3DS

> Call sign is CGVRA

> Its not in the air yet but tracking on Virtual Radar, with my SDR.

> Take off was delayed slightly…should be airborne around 1530 - 1545 UT

image.jpgI saw her in Hamilton ON back in the winter when she was having her engines rebuilt. there they were offering flights in her, but a bit rich for my blood.

wishing her all the best for an uneventful crossing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Chopa
Trying to remove the avenger

Yes, for £2150 you can fly alongside but originally they were offering flights on the Lanc both in the UK and even on the trip from Canada which sold out within a couple of days.

Oh right, OK. Sold out before I even saw them then!

£2150 sounds like a lot just to fly next to it for a short while, though good for them if proceeds go towards keeping it flying. What were they asking for flights in it?

Edited by Sean N

Oh right, OK. Sold out before I even saw them then!

£2150 sounds like a lot just to fly next to it for a short while, though good for them if proceeds go towards keeping it flying. What were they asking for flights in it?

Think a flight IN it sold for around £46000.

Tim

I heard a man from Henley in UK paid £42,000 for a seat in the Lancaster, flying from Canada to the UK.

Wow. That's a lot of money to be cold, deafened and shaken to pieces! A great experience though, a once in a lifetime opportunity and really good for the museum and to help keep the thing flying.

Plans are more than afoot,

21st Aug, x2 Lancaster’s and x1 Vulcan will be flying from Waddington.

:D

Now then, Shuttleworth have a serviceable Tutor, anyone have a Manchester, Shackleton, Lincoln, York or perhaps a long forgotten Arrow we could add to the AVRO collection??

Would it be worth starting those 4 engines just for 20 mins? Time the Lanc has taxied out and gone down the runway it would almost be a case of up, circuit, land???

It was the other way round I was thinking, surprised that the Mitchell would only do 20 minutes.

...or perhaps a long forgotten Arrow...

From Wikipedia (so take it with a pinch of salt):

'Rumours had circulated that Air Marshal W. A. Curtis, a First World War ace who headed Avro, had ... spirited one of the Arrows away to be saved for posterity. These rumours were given life in a 1968 interview, when Curtis was asked point-blank if the rumour was true. He replied: "I don't want to answer that." He proceeded to question the wisdom of printing the story of a missing Arrow, and wondered whether it would be safe to reveal the existence of a surviving airframe only nine years later. "If it is in existence it may have to wait another 10 years. Politically it may cause a lot of trouble." The legend endures that one of the prototypes remains intact somewhere.'

This section of the same article amused me:

'The nosecone section of Avro Arrow RL-206 ... was smuggled out of the Avro Aircraft plant in Malton...'

"Excuse me, sir, could you tell me what you have in your bag...'

Apparently spending today in Iceland then flying to Coningsby tomorrow. I keep looking for it on flight trackers - it's supposed to be on flightradar24 - but I can't get it to come up.

The guy who paid for a seat on the flight over is a UK entrepreneur called Matt Munson, who bid $79,000 Canadian, which is a touch under £43,000. He's putting comments and photos from the journey on his Twitter feed @MaffMunson.

Edited by Sean N

Apparently spending today in Iceland then flying to Coningsby tomorrow. I keep looking for it on flight trackers - it's supposed to be on flightradar24 - but I can't get it to come up.

Hi Sean,

I picked the Lanc up on Flightradar24, on its run in to Iceland, they were flying at around 6000 ft. Apparently the signal from the transponder cannot be picked up once away from ground based receiving stations, due to curvature of earth and low altitude. Once it is near or over land the signal is picked up. Hopefully we will be able to pinpoint it when it is operating over the UK in coming weeks.

If your keen to see both MV's and some amazing aircraft - visit Dunsfold 23rd & 24th August (Home of BBC's Topgear) as well as a great airshow (5hr display) there is a morning full of motoring including Military Vehicle drive by and static display - as well as the 2 x Lancs and the Vulcan ,also due to display is an apache gunship,chinook,the Red Arrows and The world's only air-worthy Canberra PR9 will be celebrating its 65th anniversary and displaying at Wings & Wheels for the first time

to see more details -

http://www.wingsandwheels.net/

to see the list of planes confirmed to attend -

http://www.wingsandwheels.net/whatson/wings.html

Edited by JEMIMA