Recently found family pics from 1914 to 1918

Tugger

Just thought I'd put some of these here.

Recently my Uncle uneartherd some photos taken by and of my Grandfather when he was serving in France between 1914 and 1918.

Now unfortunately he died around 1953 and there are no definitive photos of him as my Grandmother disposed of anything relating to him after his death (possibly partly as a result of his alcoholism in later life) and as such neither my Father or Uncle can be sure which of the pics are of him (although we think one of the gentlemen on a horse might be him).

Neither can we be sure when or where these were taken, we do know that he was a spotter for a period and think that the pictures of the barrage baloon are of the type that he would have been in as it was sent skyward so they could keep tabs on enemy positions. Also of interest are the pics of the 'fake tree trunk' hide out constructed to allow spotters to have an elevated view with some sort of camouflage.

There are 164 pictures all told

EDIT: Following on from a couple of comments regarding copyright I have adjusted the pictures as such, however should anyone want to reproduce them for non financial gain, on the understandingpicture credit is acknowledged I would be more than happy for the originals to be used. Also due to interest I have added the rest of the pictures at the end of the thread as it is at the moment (page 3)

Many thanks for your interest

005.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

Edited by Tugger
Please Note Edit

Thank you for sharing those.

They look much more real than the images we are used to seeing with the newsprint type image in War Illustrated etc.

That prickly truncheon looks quite sobering.

It does indeed, There are a few 'less pleasant' ones in the last batch but felt needed to be included but really interesting is the explosion over 3 frames... not sure how this was done or if they indeed were different bomb blasts.

Wow! That's an exceptional group of photographs: it's relatively easy to find portrait photographs and pictures away from the trenches, but very rare to see private photographs from the trenches themselves - unlike on the 'Hun' side of non-man's land, for the allies it was really only the offical photographers who were allowed to photograph the reality of the front.

Amongst other things, note the netting to hide movements on the roads and the observation 'tree'.

These photos are astonishing. Very few exist giving the soldier's-eye view as these do. The photo with the netting looks similar to that seen at "Hellfire Corner", where the road passed in clear view of the German frontline.

The tank is a MkI "male", still with the steering wheels, looks like one knocked out at Flers, on the Somme.

Please carry on posting them.

Fantastic pictures and thanks for posting. You may want to put some text over them saying copyright or some such, just to stop them fining there way into publications without you knowing it. Its happened to pictures I own so maybe I am paranoid...

Your not the only one to think that Paul, That's why when I put up the HMVF facebook post about the pics- I left off the pics.

Again "Great Photos"

Gerry

Cracking photos. a unique in-depth view into their life there. I've got one of my relatives First World War photo albums hidden away with some interesting pics of the early tanks etc. Will have to scan some in at some point.

Thanks for posting!

Amazing photo's.

I noticed the area being quite dry except for a few photo's.

So I'd gusss these are on the Somme as mentioned earlier.

Amazing these photo's still exist.

Just goes to show what may still be out there.

Gotta love this forum!!!

Thank you so much for posting these photos, so much more "real" than some of the staged ones seen. As is often said we should NEVER forget the sacrifices these people went through to give us todays freedom. Thank you once again :thumbsup: