Recently found family pics from 1914 to 1918

Tugger

164.jpg

...And the last four, thanks again and I'm glad they're gaining so much interest. It seemed pretty apt to post them as this is the centenary year and that we only re-discovered them last month. It makes so much sence to share them before they get stored away again.

161.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

I can tell you exactaly where the one with the jumping horse was taken. That is a well known (To the horsey fraternity) shot taken at the French cavalary School of Samur! . Theres a tank museum there as well , but for once I'm more intrested in the equine side. Look at the Cadre Noir on Youtube. They are a superb set of pictures, the detail is brilliant! Just a thought. Try Andy Robertshaw at the RLC musuem, he may well be able to identify the buildings.

Edited by Tony B

Tony, thanks, will look into the cavalry school.

The church is Ploegsteert Church, see link for photos from the IWM, there's probably a good chance that some of the other photos might check out with the IWM pictures shown on this link.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Ploegsteert&submit=&items_per_page=10

Regards

Gary

Thanks also Gary,some great info to follow up. A great way to spend a quiet Sunday at work.

It's amazing that both of you recognise these things. It's been said before by others but just to reiterate... This site and it's frequenters never ceases to impress!

If your Grandfather had any intrest in horses, he'd have been (I was about to say 'Jumped' :D) very keen to see Samur. They came up with all sorts of new fangled things like the 'Forward Seat' demonstrated. It would have ben near impossible to take that jump 'Old English Style'. Must have been a nice bit of R&R for him.

Could the photo with the word that looks like Cheer be "Le Gheer" near to Ploegsteert in Belgium ?

Regards

Gary

Indeed, Thanks for the clues there. I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume that the photographed building would have been somewhere along here judging by the mansard roof line and brick work. It would also make sense that he was in the Ploegsteert area.

As I say, we had a bit of info, but no idea of location and this surely near enough pin-points it.

Rue du Gheer.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=85895&d=1388792045

I have since found out from some online sites that he was in the Royal Field Artillery (then to become the Royal Horse Artillery) operating in the Ploegsteert wood

We Knew he had been awarded the Military Cross at some point, but it looks like that was in 1916 (when he was 19). although I'm not sure entirely how to decipher the medal card attached :undecided:

RWJG Medal record.jpg

Not to denigrate the man himself in anyway but the Military Cross (MC) was only awarded to commissioned officers, it would have been the Military Medal (MM) for 'other ranks'. Now in the 21st century the MC is awarded to all. I was very pleased to see these photos as my main interest is on the old Western Front.

I had heard the MC story from the family. He was made a 2nd Lieutenant in 1915 so he might have just scraped in

(look for Robert (Withers Jacomb*) Gibbon) bottom left hand column

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29396/supplements/12296/page.pdf

Bob, I'm just gald the pics are proving interesting. I'm in it for the info, anything extra is a boon to be honest.

* Oh my lucky brother :D

Edited by Tugger