HMVF & Plain Military Tour.

Jack

Would be good to have a wrecker / recovery vehicle coming along with us ( Got your ears on Tootall Mike) but I am sure that with that many vehicles together anyone who might suffer the misfortune of breaking down / conking out will have a ready tow / assistance on hand.

Oh Mate - I'd love to be there and I can't believe I'm gonna miss it but I can't find a replacement to take my place on the Brighton Run :-(. I'll have to come on next year's jolly if this get's repeated. Please announce next year's date asap so I don't book it up!

On the bright-er side I'm free on the Saturday and the Monday and I'm 10 mins inland from the south end of the M25 so if anyone does need ANY assistance you can give me a call. The truck will be outside in preparation for Sunday morning and I'd be happy to come and give any help I can. If someone from your group would like to PM me I'd be happy to give you my mobile number 'just in case', although obviously I'd hope it won't be necessary :-).

- Mike

My thansk kind sir

PM sent

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still count me in

series 3 109 softtop rmp style :police:

anyone from sussex who needs a lift pm me

Jack - GMC

Rambo - 3 MV's

Ashley - Jeep + car & caravan

Chris - ferret

Ian2b - Bedford or Landie 101

Steve - Bedford MJ

FV601 - Landie 101 Ambulance

chrisg- Austin Champ

David Ives - Landie series 3 RMP :police:

Jack - GMC

Rambo - 3 MV's

Chris - ferret

Steve - Bedford MJ

chrisg- Austin Champ

David Ives - Landie series 3 RMP

Andrew - Ferret

dotty dodge - Wc 51

ArtistsRifles - 109" Landie S3 - Subject to getting through the MOT beforehand!! :shake: :shake:

Jack - GMC

Rambo - 3 MV's

Chris - ferret

Steve - Bedford MJ

chrisg- Austin Champ

Andrew - Ferret

dotty dodge - Wc 51

ArtistsRifles - 109" Landie S3 - Subject to getting through the MOT beforehand!!

Clive Elliott - Wolf & 1-Ton Cypher office

Darren Parsons - 101 (from EMLRA)

Hiya guys,

Just a quickie: Would anyone mind if a few old ex-army chaps who would have spent time on some of the different vehicles come along on the Saturday night and have a bit of a walk-around?

This visit is generating a bit of a buzz around the ranges - as you already know, the Landlord is an ex Captain and I found out yesterday that the chap letting us use his paddock is also ex Army. He has told me that he has a photo album full of old pics of his Army career, so I apologise in advance!

Most of the regulars are ex servces and can't wait for you guys to turn up.

Hiya guys,

Just a quickie: Would anyone mind if a few old ex-army chaps who would have spent time on some of the different vehicles come along on the Saturday night and have a bit of a walk-around?

This visit is generating a bit of a buzz around the ranges - as you already know, the Landlord is an ex Captain and I found out yesterday that the chap letting us use his paddock is also ex Army. He has told me that he has a photo album full of old pics of his Army career, so I apologise in advance!

Most of the regulars are ex servces and can't wait for you guys to turn up.

May not be my place to say this, but i for one have no problem at all with the above, as we are guests of your selves and the locals.

Ashley

I have the memoirs of a chap who worked for BAE in conjunction with Fairey Engineering who were responsible for introducing the Australian made Malkara into service with the British Army.

Malkara was fired by Hornet (FV1620) on one occasion Malkara firings were suspended from the OP24 complex as an Honest John was due to be fired at 1500 hrs. They withdrew together with RAE staff to the Bustard which on that day had an extended opening arranged for the event.

He recalls that uncharacteristcally on time there was a loud bang at 1502 hrs with a successful Honest John launch. They had assumed a full afternoons drinking lay ahead, but was quickly curtailed by the succesful launch of Honest John.

This was 1962, I wonder if any of the locals remember guided missiles that apparently lost guidance?

Although I have to say that spending even a short time down the pub was not perhaps the best of ideas when you are testing guided missiles?

Hi Tony,

I was speaking to John (FV601) today about bringing along our club tent for ALL to sit in on the saturday/sunday evenings if you think it will be needed. Its 20 x 10 and with some help should be up in about 20-30 mins aslong as the land owner dont mind us driving the stakes in his ground. Let us know if you think it will be of use.

Im sure you can bring the tent, Dave is a good guy and wont mind having pegs banged into his ground.

Will have the tent on board anyway so if it looks like it might be cold in the evening we can chuck it up and sit in the warm.

Got a phone call today from Westdown camp asking if some of the top brass could come over on Saturdat night and have a look at the vehicles. Hope you don't mind but I said it would be OK

Im sure we wont mind, hope they are buying the beers.

How much will it cost to get the Stolly to the ranges? Is the DPV Landie still coming. also if anyone has a pinkie Landrover that would be cool :whistle:

We went and started to prepair the ground for the camp site and its bigger than I thought. The only thing is we found some lizard thingies but don't worry they don't bit. We have had the site checked just incase they are pretected. Apparently they are common Lizards so we can camp there, just chech your sleeping bags before you get in them.

How much will it cost to get the Stolly to the ranges? <snipped>

Wellllllllll.......... According to AutoRoute it's a 123 mile journey 9using Larkhill as a destination) - 5 hours drive at a cost of £210. :schocked: :schocked:

Each way!!!

Can't see a low-loader being an awful lot cheaper.

And I've just heard from Craddocks - the bonnet hooks that were shown as "in stock" are actually out of stock and won't be back in stock until Mid-May at the earliest. I've got one working and one knackered. - what are the odds on passing an MOT like that??? :dunno:

Chaps - all of the below should have an PM from me with the address;

Jack - GMC

Rambo - 3 MV's

Chris - ferret

Steve - Bedford MJ

chrisg- Austin Champ

Andrew - Ferret

dotty dodge - Wc 51

ArtistsRifles - 109" Landie S3 - Subject to getting through the MOT beforehand!!

Clive Elliott - Wolf & 1-Ton Cypher office

Have sent one to - Darren Parsons - 101 (from EMLRA) as I do not have his details....

If you haven't had the PM then please let me know.

Best wishes.

Jack.

Bit of a size difference between a Stalwart and a Ferret!!! :-) :-) :-)

Rule of thumb MPG for a Stalwart is about 2.5 - one of the very few down sides in owning one (that bl&%dy clutch master cylinder location is another!!)

Some times I get as high as 3.5 MPG but for safety I always punch 2.5 into AutoRoutes options.......

Lets face it - 9.5 tons in permanent 6x6 powered by 6.5 litres of straight 8 is not a recipe for fuel economy!! :-) :-) :-)