Daimler Dingo....another one turns up!

AmphibAndy

DSC08709.jpg

DSC08712.jpg

DSC08708.jpg

Very excited, just managed to buy this lovely old Dingo last used in 1991. I have known it since about 1976 when I first saw it in ex MOD condition. Its a MK2 but I dont have the numbers yet. Can wait to get it all up and running. Normandy 2014 I hope.

here is a link to some more photos http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/vanquishspirit/dingo/

Edited by AmphibAndy

thanks Guys. encouraging words. I had to tell someone, you lot, as I cant tell the wife! thank goodness she does not have a log in! Now all I need to do is work out a way to smuggle it home. Its only been outside for about 3 or 4 years and has just a bit of surface rust, but I will expect the brakes to need a full refurb, and may be the wiring, as they are all rubber insulated and it deterioates with age, Richard?

Talking of brakes , are the brake pipe copper Richard? I cannot recall ever seeing any rust on the metal pipes in a Dingo?

Home in the next 2 weeks I hope and then we can see whether it will start after 20 odd years.......of course it will

thanks Guys. encouraging words. I had to tell someone, you lot, as I cant tell the wife! thank goodness she does not have a log in! Now all I need to do is work out a way to smuggle it home. Its only been outside for about 3 or 4 years and has just a bit of surface rust, but I will expect the brakes to need a full refurb, and may be the wiring, as they are all rubber insulated and it deterioates with age, Richard?

Talking of brakes , are the brake pipe copper Richard? I cannot recall ever seeing any rust on the metal pipes in a Dingo?

Home in the next 2 weeks I hope and then we can see whether it will start after 20 odd years.......of course it will

Smuggle it home Andrew? Have I not heard that before ;).

Yes, cable insulation needs looking at, the last one I rebuilt, which you will remember, was not as good as it first looked. Brake pipes were copper and I have bought NOS ones from Chris W which were identical. Never a problem either.

Proper awesome find mate !!!!!!!!

I love it when someone manages to turn something up that's been unloved and meadow bound and always find the story's of how vehicles and items are found absolutely fascinating . Can you tell us how you heard about her and tracked her down ??...........So if you would....I for one would love to hear of your detective work in finding and securing her ! :)

thanks for all the comments and interest in the Dingo. The photos tend to make it look like it was forgotten about and a bit forlorn which I suppose is partially true, but like all good barn finds, this had not ever been lost so to speak! This was owned by a collector who had moved on and decided to sell to me. I have been monitoring it for many years, and as I said the first time I saw it was in 1976/7 from memory. Back then it was in the post war British dark green and may have only been demobbed for about 8 years by then. It was used a bit in the late 1980s and then laid up. Most of that time it has been covered and only outside for a few years. I am very pleased to own it and am looking forward to bringing her back up to standard. I am told the old 19 set did work, but been advised to put it somewhere warm and let it dry out. Not sure that the number painted on the hull is correct, as I thought 340... numbers were MK3 and as this is a MK2 it may be incorrect, but the data plate is there on the chassis side, just needs a gentle clean off to reveal the post war number, I think I can see 28 ZS on the photo I took. I believe records exist to track that back on the key cards to the wartime serial.

I need a new hood as the original canvas has not rotted out thanks to water sitting in the top. Does anyone know who can remanufacture these now? Martin at Allied Forces did one for me a few years back but I understand he has retired now. Will post up a few more photos when I get it home and start on cleaning it up. thanks for all the interest once again.

It appears that the Dingo post war number is 28ZS10. Therefore does anyone have a copy of the key cards for this number? I know Bovvie have them, but trying to save myself a trip down there if possible. It doesnt appear to be on the Ruddington sales particulars posted earlier . I wonder where she came from. I know it was owned by a Londoner in about 1976 but not sure who. Mystery? Any help much appreciated. thanks Andrew