Daimler Dingo....another one turns up!

AmphibAndy

i believe a few came from a scrap yard in Ireland , ours did .....

That would be Lindsey Burney in Northern Ireland, it was not a scrapyard but a plant dealer, mine came fom there too. The release paperwork came from Long Kesh.

Hi Andy

Congratulations on your recent purchace, I knew the car existed as i had obtained a photo of it from the bovington archive taken back in the late 1980's.

Was waiting for it to emerge................

I have copies of all the the key cards from Bovington including the one for your car.

www.daimler-fighting-vehicles.co.uk

go to my website find my email address and drop me a line. W

l will give you a copy of your card, ive checked by library and dont have a photo of your vehicle in service.

Regards

'Singe'

• 3 weeks later...

Well at last I have picked up the new Dingo and its now back home safely in Kent. Well the first thing to note is that it is a MK3 not a MK2. Bit of a school boy error on my part in that i did not check the engine bay properly and thought there was no 2 speed dynamo control box when I peeked under the hood. I was wrong, there is! Its much better than I had thought and whilst the distributor was stripped out and the coil and ignition filter were missing I am moving forward to getting the old girl started. Next off will be a full clean of the fuel system. I will take the tank out and drain it and swill it around with some slosh of some type. The we can try to get her going again. I will try to post up some more detailed photos shortly. I have been told that it may well have been one of the MK3s that took part in the end of hostilities parade on the Mall in 1945. Each one had a senior member of the Armed Forces being driven in the parade. Now all I need is to find a picture of My Dingo with a certain plump Gentleman with a Homburg hat and large fat cigar and I really will have won the lottery! Anyone got any of these old photos?

I have been told that it may well have been one of the MK3s that took part in the end of hostilities parade on the Mall in 1945. Each one had a senior member of the Armed Forces being driven in the parade.

Hi Andrew,

I have four definite numbers of Dingos in the parade and your number falls between some of them, no guarantee it was there though. Here they are ;

RAF F340645

RN F340661

Army F340725

Army F340621

HI Richard, a font of knowledge as always, thanks. I wonder if somewhere there is a record of who was in which vehicle? There is probably an old Pathe new reel of the occasion. Food for thought and hours of net surfing now!

I seem to think there are a lot of photos of the Victory Parade on the IWM photo library, you can get sidetracked once you are in to it though.

thanks very much Singe. I wil check them out. Have you any idea how many Dingoes were used in the event?

Andy

As far as i can acertain there were at least 4 daimler heavies and 32 dingo's used on the VE parade.

DAC taken from war illistrated vol 10 236 5july46.jpg

image above courtesy of 'war illistrated' vol 10 236 5july46

H_042775.jpg

image above courtesy of IWM H_042775

My car (pictured below) was brand spanking new and I suspect had never been issued into service,,

Almost all the cars used, look to have 1945 period numbers which i guess has some logic.

The cars were readily availible...

And would be ideal for carting high ranking offices about, after all you would not want your Admirals, Air Marshalls or Generals etc.

To sit in rusty & oily machines in their best dress uniform, would you?

IMG_1505.jpg

Theres a good chance your cars there as well, just need more film footage or other photos's as ive only identified about 10 of the dingo's

singe

F340653 victory parade june 46.jpg

Edited by singaeger

IWM dingo photos.

So far Ive spent three whole days there looking through the IWMphoto archive, and about the same again at Bovington. I have some sections of film from the IWM library and consider it likely that there are gems yet to be found here too.

Of the war time dingo photos, I have all of the reference numbers listed out.

These im slowly ticking off, as I acquire or purchase copies of the image.

Im aware however that there may be more photo’s available in other sections of the collection dealing with other theatres of operation, ors ubjects. eg Korea, Research & development, Northern Island?

If you are going to visit let me know so I can give you the list. This will save you having to trawl through certain sections & also ensure that you don’t purchase images that are otherwise available. (It would be obviously be better if we pool resourcesto obtain the missing images rather than duplicating).

The National Army Museum also has a photo library and this isa resource ive not yet delved into.

Primarily because they seem to want to give you images ordered.

Rather than let you look through the thousands of prints to findsomething interesting. I suspect this will mean they will only therefore let you see the ‘recorded/indexed’ Dingo photos.

If this is anything like the IWM the recorded/indexed photos on the index cards are certainly not all of them.

Many times there is a photo of something else, but there inthe background is what we want to see.

Not being the subject matter, it is not recorded.

And don’t get me started on the mis identified vehicle descriptions………

singe

• 1 month later...
Well i can tell you one thing Dingo tend to rust heavily have seen some with rotten away hulls and chassis

very very nice indeed

Peter

well thanks. In fact I have been working on the old girl just today. Seems I have a wiring issue as there was puff of smoke when I turned the ignition on. Just stripped out the inside so I can get at the wiring. I think I am going to have to rewire it , best to be safe, as the wires are all getting very perished now, nearly 70 years old. Will load up some photos in due course.

• 3 months later...

thanks for that. Its now progressing having sat doing nothing for a few more months. I have now pretty much rewired it, a much needed task as the wiring perishes and causes direct shorts through the steel braided screening. I was advised to do this by my friend Richard Farrant and he was absolutely correct, when I stripped the wires it was in a frightening condition. I would certainly advise anyone with a Dingo who has not already done it to do so, or you may regret it , these things could easily catch fire with the wiring passing through the floor area where there is a flamable cocktail of oil and fuel. Photos to follow.

indeed it is a different location to other MK3s I suspect there was a staggered change to a full MK3 specification. It does not look like it has ever had the filter housing in the other place, however it may have been changed at base overhaul. Not sure how early a MK3 mine is without trawling through records, but its staying where it is thanks for the suggestion !!!!