Jeep security measures

BSA WM20

Whilst serving in Germany on a couple of occasions when travelling on the autobahn and pulled into the rest stations I have come accross the American Forces Jeeps where the steering wheel had a chain and padlock on it as a deterrent which to me is a cheap and easy solution.

Yes there are lots of ways to deter them , I have seen at a show an eye bolt on the dash in front of the gear lever with a small padlock through this an the gear lever, quite unobtrusive. You will never stop the determined thief but can make it safer when at the shows.

Just so I know where mine is all the time and to record all journeys I have a subscription free tracker on mine. I know if it moves and if anyone cuts the power I get an immediate text to my mobile and an email. I can always follow it live on the web and can see it from any computer (password needed)

For £300.00 it has enabled me to rest easy. http://visionairegps.co.uk/

Whilst serving in Germany on a couple of occasions when travelling on the autobahn and pulled into the rest stations I have come accross the American Forces Jeeps where the steering wheel had a chain and padlock on it as a deterrent which to me is a cheap and easy solution.

I always do that with my old Landrovers now.....

....easy and cheap and effective....

a length of load chain .. a big padlock......wrap it through the spokes of the wheel and down under and back up from the pedals :)..

I've always worked on the idea that if someone wants your bike/truck whatever they will get it.....

but........the idea is to make it as awkward and time consuming as absolutely possible to get it.

.......then hopefully they will look at it and think

" aw bugger.it's gonna take ages and be very noisy to cut that lot off " :-)

I apply the same idea to all my bikes in their garage.mind you the downside is it takes me half an hour to undo every lock and chain and cable and disk lock etc just to get a bike out for a ride !

Any tips on Jeep security for those without a key? I've heard of removing the rotor arm but wondered if anyone has fitted an imobiliser or lock on the gear lever?

There is no security on a Jeep, its not the thing to leave parked unattended on the road for a long time, if someone wants to pinch it they will, gear lever locks and removing the rotor won't stop it being towed, most classic vehicle insurance policies will not cover a vehicle left unattended, easiest visible deterrent is the one already mentioned ..a padlock and chain from the steering wheel to seat frame

Edited by Nick Johns

Yes there are lots of ways to deter them , I have seen at a show an eye bolt on the dash in front of the gear lever with a small padlock through this an the gear lever, quite unobtrusive. You will never stop the determined thief but can make it safer when at the shows.

You will see quite a few Jeeps useing this system, I`m afraid that all you need to do is put the high/low stick into neutral and you can tow it away........ its now out of gear, I do agree with the chain and padlock through the steering wheel. But unfortunately any determined thief can just put it on suspended tow and away they go, we simply have to be on our guard at all times, make it as difficult as possible.

A sneaky anti theft device for any petrol engined vehicle is to cut the low tension lead to the coil and wire in a hidden switch so that when the switch is in the off position the low tension feed is open circuit and the engine will not start. turn the switch on and it will start. Just remember to locate the switch where you won't accidentally knock it and spend ages trying to find out why it won't start

You will see quite a few Jeeps useing this system, I`m afraid that all you need to do is put the high/low stick into neutral and you can tow it away........ its now out of gear, I do agree with the chain and padlock through the steering wheel. But unfortunately any determined thief can just put it on suspended tow and away they go, we simply have to be on our guard at all times, make it as difficult as possible.

my view was to stop the 'opportunist' from taking it or messing with it at shows, my tracker tells me the second it moves or is towed or power loss........thats suits me, and it doesn't cost much compared to other spends on the Jeep!!

Just remembered something ...

many years ago , fitted to a Series One LandRover I saw a heavy duty 'combination' type lock fitted to the handbrake 'knob'..you had to wind in the correct combination to be able to push the knob in to get the handbrake off..

....it was a properly built sort of thing and couldn't be badgered off as you had to set the proper combination to be able to take the end off it where a bolt was revealed that secured it to the handbrake lever......

Not a clue as to where the fella found it and have never seen one since..anyone else ever seen such a device??

It would certainly stop you rolling her / towing her away ?..............

I can understand it wouldn't stop you clambering underneath and fiddling about with the linkage..

... but , still worth having I reckon???????

Just remembered something ...

many years ago , fitted to a Series One LandRover I saw a heavy duty 'combination' type lock fitted to the handbrake 'knob'..you had to wind in the correct combination to be able to push the knob in to get the handbrake off..

....it was a properly built sort of thing and couldn't be badgered off as you had to set the proper combination to be able to take the end off it where a bolt was revealed that secured it to the handbrake lever......

Not a clue as to where the fella found it and have never seen one since..anyone else ever seen such a device??

It would certainly stop you rolling her / towing her away ?..............

I can understand it wouldn't stop you clambering underneath and fiddling about with the linkage..

... but , still worth having I reckon???????

Originally made by Waso, currently sitting at £1.99 on eBay!

Andy

but the question is how do they steal a jeep , immobilizing is no worry to them , they jump out of their car and push the jeep they want onto a trailer .

the only thing which stops them doing that is turning the wheels to a side , and have a padlock , motorbike lock around steering and springs . chain on steering wheel doesn`t stop them either , because with an adjustable they just undo the steering wheel nut.

A mech lock fitted to the brake line should be pretty effective (albeit technically illegal now). I have used this system on Series 1 Landrovers and various other vehicles over the years. It won't completely stop them, but it will slow them down a lot especially if they can't see it.

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Meck_Lock.shtml

Pretty expensive could do it much cheaper with a simple line lock

https://sacheto.com/414864/?utm_source=froogle_uk&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=product&lang=uk

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/Product.do?method=view&n=2276&p=214869&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Brake%20Bias%20Valves

Of course a removable handle would help.

Probably not legal for road use.

There is also another Land Rover favourite The Clutch Claw

http://www.centinel.org.uk/clutch_claw.asp

And not forgetting everyones favourite The Wheel Clamp

Probably loads of these going cheap now that it is illegal to clamp anything unless you are a government agency.

Of course I believe you can legally clamp your own car, but would not be surprised if that is now also illegal.

Mike

They still use it now for there humvees. I was stationed in new york and had a walk around there motor pool and all the vehicles had a chain and padlock through the steering wheel. So that scuffled my plans to ship H1 back to blitey.

:D

• 4 months later...

Hi, I made a simple wrap around attachment which drops behind the clutch pedal and is secured with a top quality padlock it won't stop someone towing the jeep away not much would (apart from a wheel clamp) but it does stop someone just jumping in and driving off. If you want details or a picture let me know. David