Virus protection

AndyFowler

While AVG is free and works okay, it can really slow down your PC. I've moved on to BullGuard, but realistically, any anti virus will protect your PC, the thing to watch now is the extent to which it works in the background and doesn't become an irritation in itself.

While AVG is free and works okay, it can really slow down your PC. I've moved on to BullGuard, but realistically, any anti virus will protect your PC, the thing to watch now is the extent to which it works in the background and doesn't become an irritation in itself.

I notice no differance with AVG enabled or disabled... Norton is the one which severly slows down PC's

Another vote for AVG Free on Windoze machines. It's just as good as any of the commercial ones I've tried and I can't say I've ever noticed any effect on performance unless it's running a full machine scan.

Andy

Tried most of the free ones, no need to pay for anti virus, agree Norton is horrible and very intrusive, been using Avast free for some time now, doesn't seem to affect performance but it seems to be taking longer to load and update at startup lately..

So may give MSE a go, as it's good enough for Joris..:)

I use AVG on mine.

We use the paid up AVG at work as our IT guru's have less problems with that than they ever had with Norton.

Used to have Norton on my laptop but it would take about half an hour to boot up. AVG cured it.

You meed to make sure you only have one Anti-virus program as they will fight with each other.

Mike

Thank you all for the advice , great to hear other peoples experiences ! Have gone with your advice Joris ! Can't believe I've wasted all that rusty metal cash on paying for security that was available free for the last eight years ! What a plonker I am ! :nut:

Thank you all for the advice , great to hear other peoples experiences ! Have gone with your advice Joris ! Can't believe I've wasted all that rusty metal cash on paying for security that was available free for the last eight years ! What a plonker I am ! :nut:

It was a real eye opener for me too!!

I am with Joris on this one, MSE runs on all our computers and have done for at least 2 years without any problems, free too.! ( teenage kids in the house using it as well)

First I had Norton and then Mcafee but very happy with MSE

• 1 month later...

I've also been using MSE for a month now no problems, start up is faster, no annoying pop-ups just to tell me it's working, and scans run unseen in the background without affecting performance.

Never considered using it before because of all the negative things I've read, maybe using it with OE as well is a bit too much, but as I use Firefox I will stick with it now I think, so good call Joris.:thanx:

Hmmm wonder who writes all that negative stuff....:rolleyes:

It is interesting following a thread like this, my computer is now 7 years old , as long as it works - fine, however because I am not a IT person I am making a note of certain points. Basically I would not like to make changes on my existing computer in case I RAX thingies ul totally.

So - it is a matter of timing , however you can not anticipate a failure and when it will be beyond economic repair.

So considering a new computer, major changes to me will be easier at that stage , end existing contracts when new up & running & satisfied..

1. My service provider for broadband is AOL , possibly I can get better & cheaper.

2. I use McAfee (additional fee monthly with payment to AOL) , it certainly slows the machine right down on a Friday when it does the deep weekly check , I am reliably informed that the FREE AVG is adequate ??

3. However , the main problem I have experienced in 14 years on internet is not virus that I know of , early days I used Norton. The problem for me - it was MALWARE. This totally wrecked the computer , the way out was paying a ransom of abt. £30 6 monthly for Enigma Spyhunter 4.

On a new computer - then I will discontinue the payment for Spyhunter 4 , I am reliably informed that the FREE MalwareBytes is adequate.

Spyhunter 4 , apparently loads Windows in a different way , something to avoid Rootkits - IT people may explain what this is.

Googling on Spyhunter 4 - difficult to get to the real truth about it , but as I say - my experience is MALWARE , how that differs from a Virus - I don't know..

Edited by ruxy
spelin

I used to use AVG several years ago, and hence can't comment on current version, but it became both a big download and slowed systems down.

I swapped to Avast and have had no real issues either with the installation or failure to trap viruses.

It works fine together with Comodo firewall too.