Reporting LIVE from the W&P Show 2011

Marmite!!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got back home about an hour ago after a horror four and a half hour journey home following a great couple of days at the show. Good to meet up with some of the vast HMVF community both old and new faces. Will post up a full report and pictures either later on or more likely in the morning as got to sort through the 400 or so pics first!

No problems with the weather today - shame the same can't be said for the M25 on the way home! :-(

Yes...took a punt when I saw the signs at Leatherhead about junct8 to 12, ducked around the back of Oxshott onto the A3...glad I did!!!

Edited by MiketheBike
mispellinger

Did W&P as a day trip yesterday and had a very good day out with plenty of warm sunny weather. I felt there were not many new and unusual vehicles this year (unless they are only going down today), although I thought the Austin portee was fabulous as was Tobin’s Staghound which looked (and sounded) wonderful.

IMG_7761.jpg

IMG_7740.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

IMG_7731.jpg

Cabriolet version?

IMG_7722.jpg

Not seen a bolster for a long time. There used to be lots around.

IMG_7676.jpg

IMG_7671.jpg

I liked this one very much

IMG_7669.jpg

IMG_7668.jpg

IMG_7652.jpg

Met up with several HMVF’s and had a long chat with Nigel. Sadly, I was in such a rush to get around I couldn’t spend as long as I would have liked with everyone. A good day out all the same.

There were some good dioramas this year. I did wonder for a moment whether the first one shown was a diorame, or a genuine accident caused by the stampede to get best pitches :whistle: But then they wouldn't have left the body of the decapitated driver in position, would they? Whatever, it was very effective!

W&P 061.JPG

W&P 063.JPG

W&P 062.JPG

Edited by N.O.S.

no queues really for day visitors been a few years and never queued graham , :-)

You were correct - I went on Wednesday and Thursday arrived about 9.30 ish on both days and drove straight in without any hold up. Great show - glad I went BUT I did find the German SS, Hitler Youth and the Japanese soldier and stalls selling Japanese WW2 items totally unacceptable. Graham

glad you enjoyed it graham ;) we booked a nice hotel came down friday dinner to attend show sat & sun . we visited saturday our 4yr old boy says dad i feel ill l look at him looked at his hands and OMG hes started with chicken pox evacuated the show then checked out of the hotel and came straight home ! :argh: bless him :help:

Just a quick hello as i have only just got in, still suffering from hang over from last nights stag do. :nut: Was a pleasant drive home without a hitch had a great time and i hope everyone enjoyed themselves and gets home safely.

Highlight of the show for me was sitting on the rear gun seat of a pinky, love every minute of it.:D

It has been said up to four thousand vehicles now attend ! Not sure if that includes military vehicles though ! :D

I think I added all the classes together (including bicycles) & the MVs only came to 2,600 so the rest must be caravans, camper vans, quad bikes & kiddies off-road bikes then?

You could be forgiven for mistaking it for the caravan show.

Come holiday time I am an avid caravanner myself & know only too well the agreeable accommodation that they can provide. If I want to take my caravan to say the Great Dorset Steam Fair I am allowed to do this, but the caravan quite reasonably has to go to the camp site. You may camp in your vehicle or with it provided you use military tentage up to certain limits in size & exuberance.

I think there is a case for say Big Monkton, which includes a significant Living history content, to be similarly restricted. Those with MVs who quite reasonably what to enjoy the facilities of their caravan should perhaps be encouraged into Medway Overflow where there is sufficient space for the caravans to be set back somewhat from the displayed vehicle. Their caravan would be nearby & they can keep an eye on their MV whilst visitors would be able photo their exhibits without the visual intrusion off the white accommodation.