Post War MVT - you are joking!

Marmite!!

Have you felt that at events there is a biased against...  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Have you felt that at events there is a biased against...

• Post War Vehicles
    • WW2 Vehicles
    • No, never felt any

I think a few people are missing the point here.. it's not the fact that WW2 "only" shows are being put on, which is in no way a problem, it's the fact that such shows are being put on under the banner of the MVT..

A lot of Areas can only afford to put on one show a year, if this was for only certain era Mv's what does the rest of the membership do??

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I contacted the MVT with a letter of complaint about the lack of post war vehicles in the windscreen & calendar, I didn't get a very nice reply. they pointed out the number of pages with WW2 vehicles & post war vehicles in the latest of magazines, it was still in favour of WW2 vehicles, mind you there have been more on post war vehicles since, I'm sure a number of members must have pointed this out.

I have tried to get into shows before but the organizers prefered WW2 vehicles, they didn't come out & say it but I was refused then after that a friend with a WW2 vehicle applied & got in, my vehicle was out in the first gulf war, I would have thought that it would be more interesting than a WW2 vehicle that never left the country, I think the organizers are blinkered, I went to the veterans day which was meant for all veterans from all era's, but the media just reported on the WW2 veterans & vehicles, I think the media cause most of this problem by only reporting on WW2, last year at Buckfastleigh there was a film crew covering the event, when televised it was all about WW2 & WW2 vehicles, it makes the rest of us question why we bother, especially when we do a lot of events for charity.

That's it, rant over.

Cheers

Ian

Having now read this thread throughout, I can see some valid points on both sides, but as being a relative novice and having only been to W&P (albeit 4 years on the trot) I am not in a position to be able to comment on any other shows. W&P is obviously a real mixed bag of all that is green and of course have not felt any bias one way or another. I can also see the benefit of keeping WWII areas dedicated to WWII vehicles, and would feel the same about a PW show, with the thinking that the 'primary' show area should be kept back for the show base vehicles ...if you get my drift, but as has been said before I cannot see why there shouldn't be aside areas for the respective other vehicles.

I can totally see Clive's POV about wanting a WWII dedicated show if it is to honour a WWII event/convoy and certainly I would not want to take part with a PWV, as I agree, it would stick out... like....er.....like....well....lots!(fails to find a suitable analogy :wink:). With that in mind I would happily go along as a MOP in that instance, but again to reiterate other peoples sentiments, from what I gather a balance of WWII, PW and mixed shows needs to be struck.

I does seem that WWII shows are possibly more prolific, but in saying that I' not having a go at the WWII guys, far from it, good on them for putting it together and attending, and carry on doing so. But perhaps a few more mixed shows and less time specific ones would stop some of these 40's dances being a little 'samey'.

I do feel that PW angled events are fewer and possibly not advertised as heavily. I would welcome more PW events or even more publicity of PW events.

Hi Tugger.

What we are trying to get across is shows put on by the Military Vehicle Trust (MVT) should allow ALL its members that pay there yearly subs to attend these shows with there vehicles be it WW2 or Post War.

If a show is themed around a WW2 period then fine make the main area of that show for WW2 but spare a little thought for the MVT members that dont have a vehicle to suit that era and if an area could be set aside someway for them they to can enjoy the show as there fellow MVT members are doing.

Regards War & Peace show that is a private show put on by Rex Cadman and the Hop Farm and the same with Military Odyssey by Gary Howard so they decide who can attend NOT the MVT.

The problem is that alot of PW owners would like to attend WW2 events but are pushed aside because of the age of there vehicles which is not very nice as we are ALL members of the same MVT club and should act as a club.

Again this topic is solely aimed at the MVT club.

Ian

Hi Tugger.

What we are trying to get across is shows put on by the Military Vehicle Trust (MVT) should allow ALL its members that pay there yearly subs to attend these shows with there vehicles be it WW2 or Post War.

...edit...

The problem is that alot of PW owners would like to attend WW2 events but are pushed aside because of the age of there vehicles which is not very nice as we are ALL members of the same MVT club and should act as a club.

Again this topic is solely aimed at the MVT club.

Ian

^^^ oops :oops: my bad,

carry on :wink:

i have just voted & even though our area have strived to have a healthy mix of vehicles i have decided to go with the top option & that is yes to post war.

I have to say that i have never felt ostracised from any MVT event but it has been a different matter when it comes to some of the old school vehicle owners. some were not even members of the MVT so the blame can't always be laid at their door

My reasons for this are that as a previous series 3 owner and being a new person into the MV hobby ( many years ago) i felt we were ignored for maybe a couple of years by many WW2 owners and had comments like'they best not park near me' & 'what do they think they are doing here'

those people who know me will know that i am quite stubborn and can be a pain in the backside so i stuck out my chin & decided i would turn up at as many shows as possible and show them that they couldn't get rid of me that easily.

it didn't take long for a few of us PW ers to start chatting and the nextstep was for us all to park up next to each other.

i never let a few biggots spoil my love for my hobby and i'd like to think i have made many friends over the years and i have a great respect for each & everyone of them, i will be polite but i will not be overly friendly with the vehicle snobs who i felt let the hobby down in my early years.

My MVT life started out with the severnside area and they never once made me feel unwelcome, the biggest hurdle was the travelling times to meetings so with their help a new Gloucestershire area was set up. we still have strong links with severnside and i don't see a divide between ww2 & PW .

As i said i voted on my first impression into the hobby and the fact that even though PWers in our neck of the woods are made most welcome i know that prejudice does exist.

even though we now own a 1940 bedford MW & a 1944 jimmy i would love to get another 109. i still miss mine (i will have to wait for the kids to move out so i can have the room on the drive)

i know many of you have blamed the MVT for the divide but the divide would still exist without the MVT.

almost finished,

it probably hasn't helped that in the last few years we have had the 60th anniversary of D day, followed by the anniversary of V E day so the war years have been prevelant in the public eye.

with the anniversary of the Falklands coming up in 2008 there will be the need for many vehicles of that era for parades, displays,rememberance services etc & so there should be.

i wish there was some magic fairy dust that could be added to the beer to sort all this out but it is beyond my powers i'm afraid.

i may read this tomorrow & find it doesn't make sense but at the moment it does :-D ,

cheers

Berni

i know many of you have blamed the MVT for the divide but the divide would still exist without the MVT.

In wholehearted agreement with you here Berni, one question springs to mind though, why then are'nt the MVT doing something to help bridge that divide within the club?

The experience you had yourself whilst the owner of a PW is one indicative of a lot of areas and whilst your area is lucky to have a more understanding viewpoint it would appear to be in the minority I am sad to say.

I am not alone in experiencing a similar beginning on my introduction to our local MVT and would hasten to add that it was not until we "took the bull by the horns" so to speak that the attitude towards us has changed. We are still looked upon as a bit of a thorn in some peoples sides but since an area meeting when all was aired things have indeed changed albeit slowly.

Once again this is not so much a go at WW2 owners but more a call for the MVT to actually do something about this instead of allowing it to propogate further.

I am not of a political bent and in all honesty all I want o do is to be able to take my vehicles to shows and place them on view to the general public as well as other owners.

I am saddened however by the seeming neccessity of "baptism by endurance" suffered by newbies to some MVT areas. How many of them have not had the perseverance to continue to turn up just as you did?

I can only speak for our area with a supposed membership of 200 people, we in fact rarely see more than 25-30 at our monthly meetings and they are nearly always the same faces. It makes me wonder why more do not attend or perhaps they have attended in the past and suffered much the same as you and I.

As I say mate I just dont know

In wholehearted agreement with you here Berni, one question springs to mind though, why then are'nt the MVT doing something to help bridge that divide within the club?

Becuase they won't admit there's a problem...

I can't see what the problem is.

I've just had a quick scan through http://www.mvt.org.uk/events.htm and although there are a couple of '40s events listed, none of them say on that list that they are restricted to '40s vehicles. Maybe as the list fills up a bit, it might change.

I can see why some people might object to the MVT spending their subs on an event which they are not entitled to attend, but how about a bit of give and take.

The MVT spends money on a website when not all members have got internet access.

The MVT gives money to establish local branches when some of us are unable to attend the meetings.

The MVT spends money on the national show at Kemble when it is too far to travel for many members.

From what I've seen, most of these '40s events are linked to another attraction, typically a steam railway or similar. If they want to depict their railway as it appeared at a certain time in its history and invite other people to attend with appropriate vehicles or costumes, what's wrong with that ?

If another event wants a display of artillery, signals equipment or recovery vehicles for example, then surely they are entitled to turn away innappropriate vehicles.

Maybe I'm missing the point.

If I see an advert for a '40s weekend on the Severn Valley Railway it's the same as if I see an advert for a Victorian weekend at the Black Country Museum. I haven't got a suitable vehicle to take, but I might go and have a look at what's there.

I go to far more steam rallies than specifically military events and I have never encountered any bias towards any age of vehicles at any of them.

The MVT spends money on a website when not all members have got internet access..

I would imagine that comes under advertising as it's there to promote the MVT..

The MVT gives money to establish local branches when some of us are unable to attend the meetings.

Do they? our local branch doesn't see any.. perhaps other Area Secs. on this forum would be able to comment on this one?

The MVT spends money on the national show at Kemble when it is too far to travel for many members.

But the MVT have all the gate & stall money..

But the MVT have all the gate & stall money

now then i do know the answer to this one,

Kemble is organised as a military show by Severnside & the reason it is listed as a National show is so they can have a 2500 LOAN which has to be paid back.

it started life as their local area rally held in the grounds of Berkley castle & was fairly small with car parking,stalls & exhibiters all in 1 field. the show has grown since then but has been purposely kept small enough to handle.

All monies gained goes into a show account and believe me they do not make a profit.

for every pound in there is a pound goes out.

the better quality toilets, the very hot showers, entertainment on 2 nights,the spot lights,the fencing,the forklifts,bins,fire extinguishers, private security,plaques/badges/cups,marque hire,the black bin liners every one is issued with for rubbish etc. it all costs money and the show always has been non profit making.

Severnside do not put on the show to make money & no money goes into the main purse of the MVT apart from the original loan, there is never enough left over for that.

we all give our time voluntarily & even take time off work from the wednesday in order to get the site ready

each & every one of the fence panels has to be placed by hand. even after the show it takes another day to take it all down & to do a whole field sweep for rubbish,picking upbeer bottle tops, ring pulls & cable ties is a pain in the backside but has to be done.

The show isn't perfect but nothing ever is & as the saying goes you can't please all the people all the time but the effort that goes into Kemble by the Severnside & glos members goes beyond the call of normal duty.

so NO the mvt do not get the gate & stall money it all gets ploughed into the show for those who attend to enjoy.

sitting back now & waiting for moans about kemble :wink:

Berni

I can say that when setting up our new area that we received a £50 grant from the MVT to cover the setting up costs. Very generous of them and i did not expect to receive it. They also covered 50% of the area banner, which is also very good of them, but i guess it advertises the MVT as much as the area.

Tim (too)

Incidentally Berni (very nice to meet you too by the way - such flattery, what can i say, healthy living, diet, exercise, crisps and cider all keep my skin youthful looking - i am actually 53!), do we have a date for Kemble next year as i have just been invited to Tankfest 2007 and dont want to clash.

I'm pleased to see a discussion about Post War vehicles,

We (South Hampshire Area MVT) organised a show at Exbury last year - We'll meet Again - the organisers, Exbury Gardens wanted WWII vehicles only, we managed to get them to agree that Post War vehicles could attend though they would be not be put into the gardens but could attend the rally site. I didn't hear one complaint.

However, we are pleased to announce that following the success of Exbury, we have been asked by the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, nr Southampton, to stage Trucks and Troops Show on the 26th,27th and 28th May 2007 - Spring Bank Holiday.

We welcome ANY military vehicle of ANY age from ANY country - no holds barred.

So all you Post War Vehicle owners, get your vehicle entries in - vote with your vehicle.

You can get your entry form at: http://www.southhampshiremvt.org

Dodgey

Just a few lines to acknowledge John's comments and that cracking Aden shot! How good is that, actually having a shot of your vehicle abroad on active service!

If anyone knows of the demise of CVRW 10 FD 73, do let me know! Chris, no rush with the pictures.

Isn't it about time for another poem?

I couldn't get anything else to rhyme with Saracen other than embarrasing? I also binned "look at those breast on the top of that Spartan, Oh my god it's Dolly Parton'!

Don't have a go Saracen boys, just a little joke!! If Dolly Parton happens to be the name of an otherwise unknown PW owner I apologise now for mentioning her breasts! Mind you if there is a PW owner of that name she'll be well used to that kind of banter by now, mixing with all those PW ruffians!

Meanwhile I can't stop whistling the theme tune to The Beverley Hillbillies......

Sorry to add a bit of psychobabble but this thread has surprised me with its undercurrents.

I have both wartime and postwar vehicles and have got them because they were interesting (and generally because they were cheap). It never occured to me that one was 'better' than the other, they are just different to each other. As I have written on this thread before, I have never had a problem with people requesting vehicles of a particular era but I never appreciated just how postwar vehicle owners seem to feel like second class citizens. It certainly never occurred to me that wartime vehicle owners believed that postwar owners were 'making do' with a PW vehicle and really wanted a vehicle like theirs. Do jeep owners really think that any Ferret or saladin owner wants to own (yet another!) MB or a 432 owner is pineing for a GMC? Get real! There is no damn difference of between a jeep and a series 1 Landrover (even wheelbase) except for the engine and a couple of years age, certainly not enough for one to feel superior or the other inferior. ALL military vehicles are interesting of whatever age, country or design: stop feeling inferior or superior!!!!!!