Post War MVT - you are joking!

Marmite!!

Have you felt that at events there is a biased against...  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Have you felt that at events there is a biased against...

• Post War Vehicles
    • WW2 Vehicles
    • No, never felt any

Just a thought - would not the public be interested in seeing how things changed over the years?? DUKW beside Stalwart, Bren beside 432 to use Johns examples. Equipment that has a common purpose but has changed - sometimes radically - over time can generate more interest than just seeing equipment of the same era. The differences can make good conversation points for those who've come to see the vehicles....

Would be nice to see MV evolution like that.

Lots has changed and sometimes not much att all.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Mr Stevens :evil: (Neil not Clive) :wink:

There once was a chap with a Jimmy

Who's wheels suddenly went "all a shimmy"

It was not a Diamond T

That came to his plea

But a Foden Recovery from REME

So his pride then it took quite a knock

So much so that it put him in shock

Which was made so much worse

When a Series 3 H e a r s e

Offered him a lift up the block

The driver leant out and said "Hi!"

"Care to ride in this MV of mine?"

"Cos a Jeep is a curse"

"And a Jimmy's much worse"

"But in a Landy, you'll allways be fine"

Now old Neil was all of a quiver

And his face was the colour of liver

when on the way back to camp

Was a chap with a Champ

dragging a Willy's out of the river

Now this rhyming is off of my chest

I think now I'll get back to what I do best

That is champion the cause

of what is Post Wars

Cos ALL MV's are the best

Before anyone actually treats this as a serious statement please rest assured it is posted in jest :evil: :evil: :evil:

Here we go again..........

On the odd occasion i take my jeep to a show on a trailer :-o as my family can enjoy the journey and the day better, but this may be 2-3 times a year, the rest of the time i drive it to and from shows.

If you guys prefer to have post war vehicles and feel downtrodden because of it don`t lash out at the jeep guys who sometimes use trailers :evil: this seems to be a common ploy here, if your not happy, as stated organise something for your selves.

From a jeep owner marked up as a PW vehicle ( British) :pfrt: :pfrt: :pfrt:

:tup:nice rhyme John

We keep hearing from the WW2 Mv owners " if you don't like it put your own show on"

that's just the point we don't want to put on shows for only certain era MV's, I think that is the divide between the WW2 & post war owners, the post war guys don't differentiate between MV's, this is quite clear if you look at the MV calenders for the year & see how many state post war only... :wink:

One other question, it's been made quite clear that the idea of WW2 only events is to keep it authentic so what happens when the MV owner doesn't want to wear a period uniform? I've seen many owners wearing modern DPM's or civies, not very authentic.. :wink:

f you guys prefer to have post war vehicles and feel downtrodden because of it don`t lash out at the jeep guys who

Not bashing the Jeep owners just asking the question, wish I could afford a Jeep but if I could I would go for the in-service look not the cleaner than off the production line model.. :-)

My two penny worth...

personally I am a post war MV fan, primarily because taking into account my tender years *cough* :wink: I have more of an affinity with the cold war, Falklands and Middle East kit, but this does not detract from the awe in which I hold the older stuff. I for one would give my eye teeth for a Morris Quad and Limber.

I find the historic glory of WWII kit just as alluring as the cloak and dagger secrecy of the 60's and 70's stuff. These are machines built for a purpose with what technology is/was at hand, they are slices of history, all as important as each other, these are purely pieces of machinery... the beauty IMO is that they were built for a purpose, the fact that some look fantastic is really a by product.

WWII equipment does seem to attract a certain elitism, but really it's pretty neglagable compared to some other vehicle clubs,

sorry, that's enough bleeding heart liberalism from me... if it's big, heavy invariably green and shoots stuff, then it's alright by me :lol: :wink:

An Ode to P W vehicles

There’s a post from an owner of P W C

About all the hard luck that’s heaped upon he

He needs to be wanted and showered with love

From sibling bigots like me and my bruv

He’ll join in our jollies, he’ll try not to harp

Park his Champ with the public

Stick it under a tarp

Just give me a break……… my truck needs to be seen

It’s as good as a Jeep only painted bronze green

I think he’s confused! He’s started to weep!

Cos it isn’t Jimmy and it isn’t a Jeep.

It’s owed an existence he tells us with passion

It’s even reliable….. well after a fashion

Well that might be so I respond with a shout

Of it’s right to exists, well there isn’t a doubt

But it isn’t for us, it don’t light our lamp

We’ll still push a Jeep, a’for we’ll drive in a Champ!

An Ode to Wartime Superiority

As a fan of American wartime kit

It really starts to grate a bit

When folks who just own P W C

Think that they’re as good as me (tongue firmly in cheek!)

I am of an elitist bent

I love the stuff that Lend lease sent

Without it we’d speak German now

And that my friends is the where, what, how.

So take out your Landy’s, your Ferrets please wield

And park em down there at the back of that field

This space is reserved for some proper MV’s

Some Dodges, some Jimmys and a few Diamond T’s!

The Gauntlet is down Gents - I await your retort!!

rrrrrright...

T'was on the bridge at Arnhem

the Jimmy was all a quiver

the seargent coughed

the wheel fell off

and floated down the river

Stand back Andrew Motion!

with apologies for any historical inaccuracy about jimmy trucks actually being on the bridge at Arnhem

Must have been working overtime on those two :evil: :evil:

Here's one for ya :wink:

(To the tune of Beverly Hillbilly's)

Ode to a Jimmy

Now let me tell you a story bout a man named Neil

Just about tall enough to see over a steering wheel

He was out one day just a riding in his truck

When out of the blue there came a cry of F--K!!!

Oil there was

Black Gold

Texas Tea

Now the next thing ya know old Neil is in despair

Throwing off his helmet and tearing out his hair

Drops to his knees and then begins to sob

"This bloody thing's gonna cost a couple of bob"

Big end gone

Rod through block

Metal bits in road

Along comes a Stolly driven by a jolly chap

Steering out of the way of all the Jimmy's crap

Pulled up alongside asking "do you need a hand?"

I guess your in luck as I'm carrying sand

Bags that is

For the MG post

Lots of em

Old Neil looks like he's from the walking dead

As he lifts up his eyes to the jolly smiling head

Saying "but you are one of those Post War chaps"

The driver said "dont worry mate I dont think Jimmy's are crap"

Dated maybe

A little ropey on the brakes

Bloody cold in the winter

So he hops from the heights of the Stolly to the floor

(You have to do that as a Stolly's got no door)

Picks up a piece of metal that used to be round

"Looks theres another, its your bearings that i've found"

White metal

bronze bits showing through

Still hot to the touch

Now Neil just shakes and continues to sob

mumbles about going to a show with the WW2 mob

Imagine what they'll say when you tow me in with this

They'll rib me to hell and take the bloody pi ss

shunned he'll be

blackballed

cast out

Now the moral of this story is sad but true

There will allways be disparity between me and you

You'll continue to think that Post war sucks

And I wont change your mind even for a million bucks

Shame that is

narrow minded

sinful

Thanks go to Jed Clampett, Granny, Elly May and Jethro :evil: :evil: :evil:

Must have been working overtime on those two :evil: :evil:

Here's one for ya :wink:

(To the tune of Beverly Hillbilly's)

Ode to a Jimmy

<snipped for brevity>

Along comes a Stolly driven by a jolly chap

Steering out of the way of all the Jimmy's crap

Pulled up alongside asking "do you need a hand?"

I guess your in luck as I'm carrying sand

Bags that is

For the MG post

Lots of em

Old Neil looks like he's from the walking dead

As he lifts up his eyes to the jolly smiling head

Saying "but you are one of those Post War chaps"

The driver said "dont worry mate I dont think Jimmy's are crap"

Dated maybe

A little ropey on the brakes

Bloody cold in the winter

So he hops from the heights of the Stolly to the floor

(You have to do that as a Stolly's got no door)

Picks up a piece of metal that used to be round

"Looks theres another, its your bearings that i've found"

Now that was funny :-) - excellent piece of work!! And the choice of P/W vehicle definitely gets my vote!!!!

(not that I'm at all biased here.....)

Some friends of mine took their traction engine to a Victorian Weekend.

Should I have complained that I wasn't invited to take my Land Rover and park it in a special "Post Victorian" area next to the main show ?

I think that it would have been relevant to do so if there had been a MV section being displayed there as well Graham. After all there were not many motorised vehicles available to the Victorians in general other than Steam powered.

Perhaps you have missed the posts that state the understanding of specific themed events.

Its more a case that quite a few of these themed events are being put on with a tag to being MVT associated and as MVT members we are wondering why we should not be allowed to attend with our own vehicles placed in an unthemed area. After all the MVT membership is not made up of entirely WW2 vehicle owners and as such I was of the understanding that as a member of the MVT I could attend any shows that are affiliated with it.

Perhaps I am wrong in my thinking of this and if I am it would be of interest to hear the official MVT standpoint on this.

Guest shane taylor

Sorry, not an official from the MVT - in fact I am not a member of the MVT ( far to many politics) but I am struggling here with the problem that as I see isn't a problem.

I look at it like this, if I was holding a under 18's party then I wouldn't want anyone above that age arriving.....surely it is a clear as that, isn't it? I can't see anything wrong with what Clive Stevens has done, wouldn't want to upset Neil Stevens though but I reckon he loves PW vehicles - he is just in denial!

Seriously there is no denial, some of the blinkered readers of this thread will be aghast to hear that I like pre-war, wartime and post war, but I also like to make my own mind up about what I do, where I do it, with whom and how, and not have to cow-tow to people who've got nothing better to do than moan about what you correctly identify as a non-subject!

If I can wind a few of the them up whilst injecting a little light hearted banter, all the better! The laugh really is on them!

Just to prove my post war delectations, here's a shot of my Fox troop in Germany on Exercise Keystone in 1986. Can't show you any more shots from my three years on CVRW as Chris MacMillan has them all to scan in for use on his CVRW web-site - as you can see, I'm a real PW vehicle hater aren't I?

width=639 height=424http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b107/richmorris/1stTroopsomewhereinGermany1986.jpg[/img]

NeilandFox-Germany1986.jpg

About time you PW boys got together a nice armoured recce Squadron re-enactment on Salisbury plain or somewhere appropriate - that I would travel to see..... and offer my services of course!

Peace and love and GMC's - and maybe the odd Fox!!!

About time you PW boys got together a nice armoured recce Squadron re-enactment on Salisbury plain or somewhere appropriate - that I would travel to see..... and offer my services of course!

At the moment Neil we are a Saladin short of doing just that but with a bit of luck that might just be addressed by early next year

Not sure if you have seen the picture of my old girl in service in Aden but it shows it in such a troop on patrol, here take a look.

width=538 height=750http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/Daemon1/john_tucker3.jpg[/img]

Would'nt be able to do the Aden thing but I'm pretty sure we could get a good crack at normal operational procedure :evil: (whatever that is :roll:)

Seriously there is no denial, some of the blinkered readers of this thread will be aghast to hear that I like pre-war, wartime and post war, but I also like to make my own mind up about what I do, where I do it, with whom and how, and not have to cow-tow to people who've got nothing better to do than moan about what you correctly identify as a non-subject!

Much the same as yourself there is no denial that I also have an interest in WW2 kit/vehicles and your sentiments re making up your own mind about what I can and cannot do are much the same as my own.

Yes there are blinkered ones on both sides of this argument as there will allways be in any such debate, but it is up to the more sensible ones amongst us to attempt to suppress the George Orwell Animal Farm Mentality ( All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others .) that appears to be prevelant a lot of the time.

The majority of us (or at least I hope so) in this hobby are in it for all the right reasons, preserving history as well as the vehicles, getting the movement more into the public's eye by actually using the vehicles as often as possible and last but not least, the enjoyment/fun/crack (and sometimes headaches, skinned knuckles, empty wallets) , call it what you will, of having something green and mean.

I know my Saladin or ambulance would be out of place in a WW2 setting, but at a gathering of MV's, be they WW2 or otherwise, with the overall intention of promoting the hobby in general, I still fail to see why, if I so choose to attend, my vehicle and others that do not form part of the main theme of the show cannot be there for the interest of the public.

Bit of a tongue in cheek question here. Is it because the owners of the WW2 vehicles fear that more interest will be shown to the PW stuff?

I personally would'nt think so as we have already ascertained that most of the time they cannot tell the difference.

Who knows mate.

Hi all.

As we have had a fine debate on Post War (PW) vehicles and it has been one of the best debates we have had on HMVF and many emotions were vented. It shows how powerful forums can be, where else could you have this debate - it truly is a 'live letters' page.

It has been nice to see that the debate got rather heated at times and now it is real pleasure to see that the debate has settled down into something very real and very useful. I hope we have many more like this to come.

In light of this I thought that it maybe wise if we created a poll so we can all have a vote on it and may help bring some conclusion to it. I have worded it in such a way that they are no negative questions and no negative answers. It is designed for all of us to see a 'snap shot' of where the movement is in thoughts at the moment and to see if there is anything that we need to address and to iron out.

Please do vote.

Best wishes.

Jack.

Just to prove my post war delectations, here's a shot of my Fox troop in Germany on Exercise Keystone in 1986. Can't show you any more shots from my three years on CVRW as Chris MacMillan has them all to scan in for use on his CVRW web-site - as you can see, I'm a real PW vehicle hater aren't I?

Sorry Neil, I will get them back to you soon! You still need to come and see the Fox now it's complete again!

Chris