Amber Beacon - To use or not to use that is the question

Its just common sense to make yourself more visible on the roads, especially at night.

You have to admit that the older Ferret, Saracen, Stolly era "Lucas Prince of Darkness" rear lighting systems are hardly what you would call large or bright!

After having a close call in my Ferret at night year ago I always had one at night.

Daytime wasnt so bad.

R

Great, thanks for your help!!!

When we drive John Pearsons saracen we allways have the beacon on, the simple reason is that other drivers can see you because its not every day they see a green thing like it on the road and normaly lose all there driving skills in the shock of seeing a saracen or a green thing passing them ! Its better to be seen than not :thumbsup:

Al

I'd always have one fitted and switched on. Most road users don't have the faintest idea whats going on around them, let alone directly in front of them and if they do they have no idea how to drive around a large/slow moving vehicle.

I know technically its against the law to use one over 25mph, also got to make sure they are mounted level so that they don't flash downwards to dazzle other road users, but I think it'd be a very bored copper that'd book you for it.

Does anyone know where i can buy a 6 volt Amber Beacon ?

Thanks.

David.

I have never seen a 6V rotating beacon having said that we have virtually done away with rotating beacons and gone on to flashing 360 strobes. These use far less current. Sure one of the technical people on here can think of converting 12v with sutable resistor or something

Your saftey is the name of the game, make your vehicle as visable as possiable esspecially on the motorway,

It may be illegal but ive never heard anyone being nicked for it ?

I have never seen a 6V rotating beacon having said that we have virtually done away with rotating beacons and gone on to flashing 360 strobes. These use far less current. Sure one of the technical people on here can think of converting 12v with sutable resistor or something

What you would need is called a 'dc-dc converter', had a quick Google but the only one I could see that did 6v-12v was made for In-car audio - several hundred watts and similar pounds!

You would probably not need more than 20 watts or so to run an LED strobe light at 12v, they must be available somewhere!

Will have another poke about the web!

John

Does anyone know where i can buy a 6 volt Amber Beacon ?

Thanks.

David.

Not sure about that for the gmc (still 6v) all we do is wire a 12v one to a seperate car batt in the back, lasts longenough for most journys till it can be recharged

Try this one it's simple enough to make on veroboard if you dont fancy making a pcb and can go into a small plastic box.

It's around on lots of electronic sites and seems to be from the IC manafacturers data sheet, so is a none copyright item for none comercial use.

Steve

12V%20to%206V%20converter.jpg

Try this one it's simple enough to make on veroboard if you dont fancy making a pcb and can go into a small plastic box.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40774[/ATTACH]

It's around on lots of electronic sites and seems to be from the IC manafacturers data sheet, so is a none copyright item for none comercial use.

Steve

That's the wrong way round - he wants to convert 6V to 12V!

Andy

......personally, I DO use a rotating amber beacon, when driving my saracen on the public roads, ... also in 2009, I did a prom for somebody in it, I live in Southampton, and they were in Ascot!, so I pootled up the M3, cruising at a healthy 50(-55mph in places!;):cool2:), I had a magnetic rotating amber beacon on the offside top of the turret, and got what I'd describe as admiring, friendly waves from two passing Police Motorway Patrol Cars, one on the way up, and again on the way back down, so I'd recommend it... as it defineately makes Joe Public FAR more aware of you, in your big green machine:angel:, .... on another note, somewhere I have pictures of saracens in-service with a rotating amber beacon fitted on a short 'post' (approx 10cms long) fitted above the rear doors....The correct 1960's 'acorn' shape ones seem to be very rare now... I managed to get one from a friend on here, (thanks FV1609 -CLIVE), some time ago, but have not yet fitted it, so I currently use the magnetic one.

had a word tonight with our supplier tonight he will get full details but 12v 360 strobe beacon will work on 6v. only difference is flash rate will check see if its all legal and let me know

alternativly give these guys a try will answer your questions on leds as well as beacons

http://www.visionalert.co.uk/products/productresults.aspx?catId=230&menuId=

i also am in a position to quote if you see anythng you fancy

Edited by cosrec

• 4 weeks later...
IIRC the old lucas beacon was "voltaged" by the bulb you fitted , as the current went thru bulb and motor in series , but am going back about 4 decades :yawn:

Some beacons are dual voltage (but 12/24 not 12/6), but on some at least there are two sets of drive pulleys, and the rubber drive belt has to be flipped across at the same time bulb voltage is changed to keep the correct flash rate.

Edited by antarmike