Did you see the Russian Army SU-100s on parade in Moscow

LarryH57

I saw on the TV that the Welsh Guards were marching in the parade to mark the 65th anniversary of end of WW2 on BBC News 24 and was amazed to see about half a dozen fully operational SU-100 assult guns on the move, together with a few GAZ-67 vehicles too.

Can we get them to W&P!

About ten years ago the Russian Defence Disposal Organisation announced they were about to start selling large quantities of war-time vehicles and guns on to the market.

This never happened and it seems unlikely that they still retain large stocks of war-time AFV's in storage but they obviously still have some.

The Gaz Jeeps looked a bit strange to me. Possibly made up bodies on modern chassis.

War-time AFV's were still held in war reserve stocks into the 1980's and hence survive in quantities, but the Gaz jeeps would have been disposed of many years ago.

Thank god someone else started this thread I thought I had been seeing things. Was over the in-laws on sunday when the report came on the bbc and I stood there with mouth open saying I thought those things were as rare as hens teeth, obviously wrong. Was good to see a good number of historics in the parade.

Thank god someone else started this thread I thought I had been seeing things. Was over the in-laws on sunday when the report came on the bbc and I stood there with mouth open saying I thought those things were as rare as hens teeth, obviously wrong. Was good to see a good number of historics in the parade.

Me too !!! I thought that I had imagined it,seeing the guards in Moscow... I wish that I could have been there.

49 HG 92

....... I wonder if any country still uses them; in Africa perhaps?

the most likely suspect for in service SU100 would be North Korea

although Yeman might still have some -but its unlikely as most of its T34 seem to be rotting away as coastal defense lines.

Other than that maybe Morocco. The only really still active user of T34 in Africa Togo never had any.

The SU100 shown on parade in moscow seem to be genuine SU100 rather than SU100M -lack of stowage box on the right front flank -obvious sign. I was down at Bovington when they moved the ex Eygptan SU100M after many years standing, alot of smoke, cranking and inevitable tea breaks by the moving crew and it ran without any major mechanical intervention.

Steve

looking at the transporters with T34s in the background, they are easily high enough to allow a comparatively low in height SU100 to turn over if a track was allowed to slide off the trailer while loading, note the damage to the curb, the original tracks on the SU100 might have added to the problem, I don't know if modern Russian tank transporters have an inner rail.

Steve

fluent Russian friend translates it as fell off the tank transporter when loading after the end of the parade

Yeah right! :-)

Then how do you explain the bottle next to it and the lack of transporters insight???

I do believe this is a typical russian accident that involves vodka! :-)

Marty

The transporter would have been moved forward to allow the BREM in to right the SU100, note though that very little effort was made to protect the SU100 or the road way during recovery.

The bottle looks like beer rather than the hard stuff:beer:but I think booze would have been involved:-D