Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

30p a litre? :cry::cry::cry:

Mark :cool:

I know, I was in Cambridge last year for 6 months and filling the car up there brought tears to my eyes. Mind you I am in Japan today and the fuel here is also cheaper than UK. Can you not find a way of sacking all your politicians and replacing them with normal people........... (sorry ranting)

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know, I was in Cambridge last year for 6 months and filling the car up there brought tears to my eyes. Mind you I am in Japan today and the fuel here is also cheaper than UK. Can you not find a way of sacking all your politicians and replacing them with normal people........... (sorry ranting)

I can think of a few things to do with them but not allowed to mention them !:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

They should have had hydraulicaly operated diff locks like on the early Mercedes G Wagens ,, I think you should re-edit your post its not good to say you were stuck :)

It was worse............................................................................................................................................................... I had to get pulled out by a Mitsubishi Pajero :(

The odd part is supposedly if the vacuum fails it should default to 4wd not go off :argh:

Well I was told by my friends and colleagues that it would be in poor taste to work on the Pinz tomorrow, being Christmas day...... seems an awful waste of a day off work :cry:

So I thought tomorrow I would plan a special day for the wife and I. I am taking her to the Army museum :idea:

So I can take picture of HMV's for you guys.......

I also organised buying a rather large box, with spares in it that I have to ship from the UK :). This is the box with spares in it.......

[ATTACH]17360[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17361[/ATTACH]

I also stumbled accross in my collection of Pinz photos this odd one from UK. It has different tool bins and what appears to be a pallet lifter on the back..

[ATTACH]17362[/ATTACH]

Is that a standard NATO box size? If you've got any documentation for it I'd be very interested :)

Stone

G'Day

The Dimensions are:

Height - 1,85 m

Width - 1,76 M

Length - 3.10 m

This one is a Workshop box so gots lots of extra doors and racks.

He also has ambulance boxes up in Shropshire.

I was toying with the RB44 box and modding it but the amount of modification was a bit much (or unknown). I also wanted to keep the soft top but after the last accross Australia trip in the Land Rover Lightweight which filled up with red dust I thought I better be sealed up a bit better.

Edited by fesm_ndt

Anyone know what this first aid kit belongs to?

I bought it thinking "thats a pretty little box" when in fact it is quite large and was going to cost a small fortune to post. Lucky for me a colleague was travelling over my way :)

I have not seen another like it (but I only look every now and again)

• 2 weeks later...
so much fun almost looks as though your trying to break it :-D

Most of it Slow motion, i.e. in Low range. Trying to find something steep enough to stop it. Those mounds very steep, don't look so bad in the photo but in photo 2 the rear wheels are off the ground as she bounced when coming down the rear.

Oh well, going to look have a look today as need to figure out how to take the rear drivetrain out, to make it look pretty.

I and everyone else is very impressed with yesterday's scrapyard buy. The hostpital paitient trolley is perfect for my toolbox. Not sure what I will use the oxygen bottle holder for, perhaps a beer cooler :cool2:

[ATTACH]20796[/ATTACH]

I covered the box up when I left today and the guy with me said it looks spooky :shocked:

[ATTACH]20797[/ATTACH]

Well as part of the more extensive tear down, I started on the 'spare' vehicle to work out how to get the driveline out in one piece. So I guess for some reason, remove the radiator hoses from the engine and then the radiator..

[ATTACH]20802[/ATTACH]

Behind the radiator there is a lot of insulating material

[ATTACH]20805[/ATTACH]

Which has absorbed water :mad: and have some nice holes to patch

[ATTACH]20800[/ATTACH]

Also, because the Army never bothered with coolant, most the associated piping is fairly knackered. I think I will replace all the piping with stainless.

[ATTACH]20801[/ATTACH]

Some of the blanket has come off ok, but some of it's torn apart as water logged. I may have to buy some bits from the supplier or have a go making it. Also thinking of sealing the lot later under rubber type paint.

[ATTACH]20799[/ATTACH]

Tomorrow will be a continuation of trying to get the fibreglass out, so I will be itching for the next week or so. We also pretty much unbolted everything out of the cab and most the rear end.

Most of it Slow motion, i.e. in Low range. Trying to find something steep enough to stop it. Those mounds very steep, don't look so bad in the photo but in photo 2 the rear wheels are off the ground as she bounced when coming down the rear.

looks as though its just landing , That stretcher oxygen bottle holder - well you could fit it up with a mig welder and you know where the bottle might fit :)

are you striping the axles and box out the pinz or are you removing the body :)

looks as though its just landing , That stretcher oxygen bottle holder - well you could fit it up with a mig welder and you know where the bottle might fit :)

are you striping the axles and box out the pinz or are you removing the body :)

Yep I am very happy with the trolley. Just waking up here and getting ready to go to the yard.

Going to lift the body and wheel the engine and drive train out. I was going to just take half out at a time but am getting confident it is not that dificult (famous last words)

Well flash backs of fitter training today, like:

- when using a hacksaw, pressure on the forward stroke, pressure off on the back stroke. Funny as when I started hacking I was like a kid then got back in the routine.

- that cold chisels are great tools :evil:

So today was some paint prep, removing the remaining tunnel insulation and tub modifications. Stinking hot.....

[ATTACH]20879[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20885[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20881[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20878[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20882[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20880[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20883[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20884[/ATTACH]

Also having an idea to move the winch solenoid box. The way it is fitted 'inservice', the Warn winch clutch cannot be operated (snafu). I believe the UK ones have Ramsey winches. I need to see if the cable will plug in.

[ATTACH]20877[/ATTACH]

Edited by fesm_ndt

Well decided to take the radiator of the other one and have a look :wow:

[ATTACH]21181[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21184[/ATTACH]

But after a wire buff and closer inspection it is quite solid :yay:. A few pin holes and pen holes but all in one spot so easier to fix and make pretty (I need a dremel tool). I hate rust repairs as I can't weld and have to wait on others for this type of work. Painted half of it in the excitement.

[ATTACH]21182[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21180[/ATTACH]

Also fitted the winch solenoid, completely under the dash. Now I just have to save up to buy several metres of copper cable.

[ATTACH]21183[/ATTACH]

Maybe get to do some work next saturday, then off to Germany for a week and a half.

I hate rust repairs as I can't weld and have to wait on others for this type of work. Painted half of it in the excitement.

Also fitted the winch solenoid, completely under the dash. Now I just have to save up to buy several metres of copper cable.

Hi, I find it hard to believe all the work you've been doing and now say that you can't weld , I suppose most of us couldn't at one point :) ,, Its great to learn I did at an early age , arc eye very bad the next day :cry:

If you had a go on some nice clean steel I find MIG welding very good , ( gas takes to long , arc a bit heavy for thin steel ) just have to remember to keep moving the torch otherwise can blow holes , the cleaner the steel the better , we all wait in anticipation of your welding attempts :-D

Edited by phil munga