Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Might be able to get hold of a 6x6 (718K) manual, drop me a PM so I don't forget :)

Stone

As your brother is a really nice bloke :), can you ask him if they made the tools to change the timing belts or did they get VW or Volvo ones? I was chasing a set, I know the VW or Volvo ones fit but I don't know the part numbers.

Basically from memory you need 2 lock tools and one tensioner.

As your brother is a really nice bloke :), can you ask him if they made the tools to change the timing belts or did they get VW or Volvo ones? I was chasing a set, I know the VW or Volvo ones fit but I don't know the part numbers.

Basically from memory you need 2 lock tools and one tensioner.

I've just done the belts on a VW camper with the same engine and marked the pullleys and the belts then marked the new belts then refit to the marks ,,, remember two paint marks for the camwheel ,

Waterpump was ok , this is the cause of many snapped belts on this type of VW engine ,,,

I've just bought a later one 2001 with the 2.5tdi with both belts snapped ( which I thought very strange ) with only one bent valve ,,, and camshaft in three bits ,,, I think the fuel pump end of the cam has a slot in that a 4mm? piece of steel will fit this lines up with the top of the head ( needs to be evenly packed ) , then there's some dowls that fit some of the pulleys ,, Will try and dig out engine manual should have part numbers for the timming belt setup tools ,,

crank bolt has a high torque setting that is a stretch bolt ( I've re-used them no bother ) does yours have the V or the flat belt driven alternater

I've just done the belts on a VW camper with the same engine and marked the pullleys and the belts then marked the new belts then refit to the marks ,,, remember two paint marks for the camwheel ,

Waterpump was ok , this is the cause of many snapped belts on this type of VW engine ,,,

I've just bought a later one 2001 with the 2.5tdi with both belts snapped ( which I thought very strange ) with only one bent valve ,,, and camshaft in three bits ,,, I think the fuel pump end of the cam has a slot in that a 4mm? piece of steel will fit this lines up with the top of the head ( needs to be evenly packed ) , then there's some dowls that fit some of the pulleys ,, Will try and dig out engine manual should have part numbers for the timming belt setup tools ,,

crank bolt has a high torque setting that is a stretch bolt ( I've re-used them no bother ) does yours have the V or the flat belt driven alternater

I have the V belts for the Alternator and power steering. Yep the main catch is just identifying the part numbers as can get easy enough on Ebay. Volvo 940 is also the same.

Well spent all day working, mocked up the brush guard (which is different from the UK MOD versions)

Then spent the rest of the day cleaning up the winch and fitting it. Just need to fit the rollers, but as the galv is no good main re do them, maybe

whose got the job of building them landrover chassis up :)

We were talking about this yesterday as have in this guys shed:

2 716 Pinz getting rebuilt

1 716 Pinz getting stripped

1 Defender 90 petrol (just had chassis galved)

1 Defender 90 300tdi (completely disassembled and going to get the chassis galvanised).

2 110

1 Range Rover (abandonned)

1 Defender 90 (another one in with prop shaft issues)

I told my mate he needs to build a bigger shed :D as most likely we got 2 trailers coming and a 718. Trying to get the 90 rebuild started as can do a few things at once.....

Pulled the winch solenoid cover off at the condo last night...

Wishing I didn't :cry:

Also noted the missus got kinda upset that I was doing the diassembly work in the lounge room :whistle:

Oh well I forgot the allen keys so I cant rip it apart any more

Well another weekend starts... with tomorrow some tinkering.... Had planned some major stuff but parts havent arrived :cry:

This is one of the 6 in UK, can you spot the major difference?

ans: mine has palm trees in the background and in the UK has mist and fog

Well another weekend starts... with tomorrow some tinkering.... Had planned some major stuff but parts havent arrived :cry:

This is one of the 6 in UK, can you spot the major difference?

ans: mine has palm trees in the background and in the UK has mist and fog

Mist and fog would be ok we've had nothing but rain for what seems like weeks

Mist and fog would be ok we've had nothing but rain for what seems like weeks

Yeah I noticed that when rebuilding my Lightweight, outside in the UK last year i.e. the raining starts Friday lunchtime and ends Sunday night.

Muggy here, can get quite unpleasent but I have had monkeys on my paint and a cobra under the toolbox, so where ever a rebuild is there are pro's and con's.

and yes I screamed like a girl when I noticed the cobra :sweat:

and no I didn't take a photo as I was running the other direction

worst part is we never found the bugger, so real careful when getting stuff out of the sea containers

Well went to the yard today determined to solve this jaming up of the system as the Pinz felt like the brakes were jammed on, so:

- checked all the pneumatic difflocks

- checked the all wheel drive control

- checked the handbrake

Result nothing wrong :argh: so mystified, depressed etc so started reattaching the centre engine covers and 'noticed' that the brake pedal was slow in returning up. So after all this 'dicking' around was because the brake pedal isn't returning quickly. So when I get out of the car and jack the rims everything is ok, I get back in, touch the brake and it would stick down etc etc..

Same old story, look at all the dificult stuff then turns out to be something relatively easy.

So went for a spin :yay: . Everyone looking at me, must have been the dirty clothes.

Also post the photos of my first trip to the petrol station:

- Bangladesh petrol station worker who kept asking me if I was in the Army; and

- 1.70 RM/litre for diesel (0.30 GBP/litre)

Thats looking really smart now , silly simple things like your brake peddle not returning that are cause for many hold ups and head scratching ,, Now then that trip to the fuel pumps ,, are you saying that the fuel price is only 30 pence a litre ?

As said before I was going to try and find the Timing Belt Aligning tool numbers ,, found that the fuel pump has an arrester pin 2064 , camshaft setting bar 2065A , some engine failures are down to people not tightening the crank bolt to the correct setting of 46KGM ( 330 ft.bl. )I think some of these engines you can get away with just removing the crank vibration pulley just four bolts , I think your engine may have V belts and might not have the vibration pulley ? , timing belt tension tool VW210 ,, on the bell-housing there should be an inspection plug remove the plug , you'll see a pointer on the bell-housing to line up with marks on the flywheel , no mention of a tool to hold the crank other that when you need to tighten the main crank bolt there doesn't seem to be a number for this part , just call it a crank restraining lever

Thats looking really smart now , silly simple things like your brake peddle not returning that are cause for many hold ups and head scratching ,, Now then that trip to the fuel pumps ,, are you saying that the fuel price is only 30 pence a litre ?

As said before I was going to try and find the Timing Belt Aligning tool numbers ,, found that the fuel pump has an arrester pin 2064 , camshaft setting bar 2065A , some engine failures are down to people not tightening the crank bolt to the correct setting of 46KGM ( 330 ft.bl. )I think some of these engines you can get away with just removing the crank vibration pulley just four bolts , I think your engine may have V belts and might not have the vibration pulley ? , timing belt tension tool VW210 ,, on the bell-housing there should be an inspection plug remove the plug , you'll see a pointer on the bell-housing to line up with marks on the flywheel , no mention of a tool to hold the crank other that when you need to tighten the main crank bolt there doesn't seem to be a number for this part , just call it a crank restraining lever

Yeah the pedal one has be a bit befuddled as need to study the book as may need adjusting as the return spring appears to be fitted correctly (again may be over thinking it).

I got all the belts so is going to be one of those weekend jobs :argh:. I'll have to show my tool supplier the parts numbers se if I can get some luck.

yes 30p a litre for diesel.

I changed the tyres last weekend and then had to skip accross to Japan