'Idiotic' pair pick up unexploded 2ft bombs

[h=1]'Idiotic' pair pick up unexploded 2ft bombs that washed ashore - to 'sell them for scrap metal'[/h]

• MoD urgently appeals for duo to contact them so they can defuse bombs
  • Cold War explosives washed ashore in Warbarrow Bay, Dorset
  • The two men carried rusty 120mm tank shells past shocked families

This is the moment two men each casually carried a 2ft-long unexploded bomb each after finding them washed up on a beach.

The pair were pictured with the two potentially deadly rusty 120mm tank shells slung over the shoulders.

Onlookers watched as the men strolled past them with the explosives that date back to the Cold War.

article-2324672-19C80AFD000005DC-782_634x504.jpg

Shell-shocked! The walkers were photographed taking the tank shells away from a Dorset beauty spot

It is believed the unidentified pair may have seized the bombs to try and later cash in as scrap metal.

Now the MoD is urgently appealing for them to make contact with them so the ordnance can be safely removed before it blows up.

Well ,, it goes to show , even on a Forum like this where you would expect a early agreement on positive identity - not so !

Clearly a need for warning notices to be observed , I just hope those concerned are soon identified - the police should be able to find some just cause for a appearance in a magistrates court ???

"The spokesman confirmed there have been no charges against anyone involved, but added: ‘They are being spoken to by the Ministry of Defence police.’"

That isn't going to do much to discourage people, is it? A nice public arrest and trial for metal theft would send an appropriate message.

Andy

well for those who dont know the tank ranges at lulworth (camp and tynham ) use the sea as an impact area and ocasionaly some uxo wash up i suspect those shells were prac (concrete surounded by a thin steel shell) probably worth nothing as the concrete is the larger amount however as rusty you cant tell simple rule DONT TOUCH ive been in afv,s for 22 years now and i leave well alone and if people keep picking things up they will close worbarrow bay to the public so we will all lose out enjoy the range areas and if you see anything advise and if ignored report to lulwoth camp guardroom who will notify the correct authority

well for those who dont know the tank ranges at lulworth (camp and tynham ) use the sea as an impact area and ocasionaly some uxo wash up i suspect those shells were prac (concrete surounded by a thin steel shell) probably worth nothing as the concrete is the larger amount however as rusty you cant tell simple rule DONT TOUCH ive been in afv,s for 22 years now and i leave well alone and if people keep picking things up they will close worbarrow bay to the public so we will all lose out enjoy the range areas and if you see anything advise and if ignored report to lulwoth camp guardroom who will notify the correct authority

Wise words.. I once found a mortar shell while walking in Snowdonia, not that far from the road (20-30 mins walk at most). Reported to local rangers who said they would keep a note of it for next time eod came round on a sweep then see if they could find it again. They didnt seem too concerned. My mate was all for lobbing rocks at it but I dissuaded him (rare outbreak of common sense for me!)...

• 2 weeks later...

Fadedsun......just beat me to it........I was about to pose the same question, how can a thin steel shell filled with concrete (if prac) "wash up on the shore". And even if they're live, surely they are too compact & heavy for even the strongest tide to bring ashore ?

H

Fadedsun......just beat me to it........I was about to pose the same question, how can a thin steel shell filled with concrete (if prac) "wash up on the shore". And even if they're live, surely they are too compact & heavy for even the strongest tide to bring ashore ?

H

Believe me they do. I volunteered at Orfordness for three years and some years back there were a few exciting days when a 500lb bomb washed up semi submerged on the beach. It was recovered by an MoD team who rushed up post quick from Portsmouth to defuse it. Only after it had been pulled out of the sand was it discovered to be a target practice bomb. It's on display at Orfordness along with an empty We 177 nuclear bomb. Back to subject fragments of bombs and small shell cases were regularly washed up after easterly storms. Don't underestimate the power of mother nature. Jerry

They deffinatly wash up on shore. There are dozens of reports each year of ordnance washing up on the west coast. Tons of it was dumped at sea post WW2 and some of it missed the trenchs and it washes ashore to this day. Also ordnance that was used on coastal ranges often moves ashore with sand movement. There are still 5131 BD Sqn personel located at many disused RAF ranges on the east coast to deal with this stuff.

Pardon me, but unexploded, live bombs don't just wash up on shore.

They certainly don't float.

As hasbeen partially said in other posts. The projectiles could be one of threethings; HESH that is High Explosive Squash Head – seriously dangerous! Or Smokeagain seriously dangerous or indeed they could be Squash Head Practice whichcontain no explosive and probably would not be dangerous as such. HoweverSquash Head Practice does contain four tracer elements in the base, it ispossible that one or more of these elements has failed to function. It would berather unpleasant to say the least if you managed to ignite one in your livingroom.

Afterall that I would say the one on the left is Squash Head Practice, the one onthe right I cannot tell unless I saw the base. However would I bet my life onmy correct identification? Not on your Nelly – leave it well alone.

As fornot floating so therefore couldn’t be washed up. Stuff like this is washed upall the time even gold coins on occasion and they certainly do not float.

Onelast thing; Minimum safe range from an exploding HESH round is 1500m andcurrently the same for Smoke. This stuff is regularly fired on Lulworth Ranges.