buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

no magic mushrooms, divining rods, peace pipes or tv personalities. just plain old mag or ground radar is what's required. the vines are worth a lot of money so we have to be sure and more importantly the vineyard owner has to sure that we are spot on before i start digging.

i'd like to pull the known tank out first (before xmas) and worry about any others after that

no magic mushrooms, divining rods, peace pipes or tv personalities. just plain old mag or ground radar is what's required. the vines are worth a lot of money so we have to be sure and more importantly the vineyard owner has to sure that we are spot on before i start digging.

i'd like to pull the known tank out first (before xmas) and worry about any others after that

Oh that's a shame it would be interesting to see Bob in action with his rods !

Al

Turning up with proven equipment and trained operator's will give the owner and any spectators (standing in the field or watching on TV) confidence that they have the right people doing the job.

it may be logistically better to drag up all the targets identified in one hit (could be other interesting things down there besides tanks) , although splitting the job into several parts ,a survey with electronics , taking time to decipher the data , coming back with the heavy equipment , fixing the holes up.

Just remember to take loads of pictures !

i'd love to go in guns blazing but i am only too aware of how much work is involved in making good the groundworks after the "party" has finished and it's a daunting task and no mistake, digging and recovering this stuff is fairly straight forward. getting all the "dig out" back together in the order it came out in, is not. so with that in mind it would be nice for me to get the known covenanter out as a one off then clear up, go away and come back for any others with a fresh head and hands. if this was a farmers field they would already have been recovered but it's not, it's britains biggest vineyard which makes things more interesting :-D

i'd like to mention the part clive hughes and his son ian have played in this effort. about 15 years ago clive and ian went looking for elusive other covenanter and after buying a magnetometer and spending 6 days or more searching they found it. unfortunately for them it was not economically viable at the time to remove the vines and pay for the damages so the recovery was dropped (until i came along) and it was ian that got in touch with me and offered his services free of charge to take me to the tank and help liase with the owner, i've now dragged him in even more and have asked to use the mag detector again :) so to to clive, ian, tony and those that have offered advice and encouragement i would like to say thank you and iou a beer :thumbsup:

i'd love to go in guns blazing but i am only too aware of how much work is involved in making good the groundworks after the "party" has finished and it's a daunting task and no mistake, digging and recovering this stuff is fairly straight forward. getting all the "dig out" back together in the order it came out in, is not. so with that in mind it would be nice for me to get the known covenanter out as a one off then clear up, go away and come back for any others with a fresh head and hands. if this was a farmers field they would already have been recovered but it's not, it's britains biggest vineyard which makes things more interesting :-D

Not sure re this question, would it be more economic to dig them all out if close together and back fill then remove salvage when convenient e.g. over a few weeks

2016-11-25 15.06.11.jpgRick, here are the copies that I mentioned earlier. For some unknown reason I could not upload them from my computer to a PM. Essentially they consist of a thesis regarding the line of a Roman road, Stane Street where the archaelogists in 1958 thought that they had found a new line of the road but then realised that it was actually the filled in anti tank ditch. The measurements and observations on the map might be of use.

2016-11-25 15.05.44.jpg

2016-11-25 15.05.54.jpg

This would also be worth a look, I've seen some of the wartime and early postwar photos of aircraft crash sights (crater and ground disturbance etc), so a tank ditch and buried tank/tanks, might be visible, a bit like the footing of a long lost building, where during the summer months the shadow appears in the ground.

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/collections/aerial-photos/

Regards

Gary

Wow, was gone for week and now all this good news , Hooray :-D

Just hope the ground radar is not set for Polish ground
LOL, will I think it's only fair to point out that the folks from the Polish National Geology Institute were 100% correct. They said " there might be a tunnel but there is no train." they were challenged in that finding by the 2 guys who wound up digging there but I remember the Professor in charge saying "It's normal to make a mistake but foolish to repeat it" just prior to excavation.

So contacting a local University and getting a few geologists out there out there might be the best way to make sure nothing is left behind. I work with University Faculty daily and they are almost without exception very easy to talk to and deal with because they are very passionate about their pursuits, just Intelligent people who love what they do. They are also almost always looking for a chance to give their senior students a chance to apply the skills and use the equipment they have learned in the classroom out in a real world setting. Also important, since it's a learning/teaching opportunity you don't pay them like you would a private business.

It might make things easier to have a detailed scan of the site now than digging now and digging again later? just a thought

i've put the feelers out to uni's and professionals alike, whatever happens i get the feeling it will cost me at least £500 but it's worth it to get the go ahead to dig the covenanter out

I wouldn't mind sponsoring you for 50 GBP to help.

• 3 weeks later...

still can't get the geo fizz sorted, tried to hire a magnetometer and do it myself but the firm wanted mod approval beforehand.

there is an archeology guy willing to help but he still hasn't got back to me, so it looks like i will have failed my immediate mission to put my hand on the covenanter before xmas but never mind it will still be there in the new year.

i will keep you all posted