buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

Draganm,

Don't believe all you read! There is a vast difference between regular troops on Home Defence duties, 24 hours a day, and Home Guard volunteers who did their duties after work and were usually men who were past conscription age and many would have had previous army service, and experience. My father was in a HG unit and their weapons instructor had served in the Boer War and Boxer Rebellion and had been an instructor at the School of Musketry (as it was called in the early 20th century). They did on occasions train with regular units, but definitely did not have tanks.

well I only have a passing curiosity on the subject but the Wiki article is interesting. According to them the HG or LDV were both a notable fighting force at one time,
They are credited with shooting down numerous Luftwaffe aircraft and the V-1 flying bombs which followed them in the summer of 1944. The Home Guard's first official kill was shot down on Tyneside in 1943. The Home Guard in Northern Ireland also took part in gun battles with the IRA.[30]

and at other times an object of ridicule and TV comedies. 1200 of them did perish from German bombs and rockets, so surely a memorial wouldn't bee too out of line, even if they didn't operate the vehicle on the pedestal?

At any rate, might be more interesting than a plaque that reads "here's something we dug up" :-D

Not a novel idea though, looks like "dads army" did finally get one in 2005 , small white rock with inscriptions

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/4142414.stm

Edited by draganm

i have mentioned the rickmansworth cromwell on this thread before and have been told by a few of the "old gang" of it's whereabouts. the story goes that a cromwell that was being pushed around a breakers yard fell into an old clay pit and was not worth digging out again, a few of the road wheels were removed and the radiators but the rest of the tank was left there and eventually covered up in rubbish and left to it's own devices. unlike a lot of buried tank stories i have no reason to doubt this is true. another forum member had given me the exact location so yesterday a friend that lives nearby went to look for the tank and found the ground was littered with the detritus of years of commercial use which tied in nicely with the story. there was no real chance of finding the tank as it's at least 3ft deep to the rear vertical plate (which is now horizontal). anyway we wanted to find the land owner so he went to the adjacent industrial site and asked a business owner. the guy gave the information and then asked if my friend had come looking for the buried tank :) it seems the tank is well known about.

we will contact the landowner on monday and see what transpires!

i have mentioned the rickmansworth cromwell on this thread before and have been told by a few of the "old gang" of it's whereabouts. the story goes that a cromwell that was being pushed around a breakers yard fell into an old clay pit and was not worth digging out again, a few of the road wheels were removed and the radiators but the rest of the tank was left there and eventually covered up in rubbish and left to it's own devices. unlike a lot of buried tank stories i have no reason to doubt this is true. another forum member had given me the exact location so yesterday a friend that lives nearby went to look for the tank and found the ground was littered with the detritus of years of commercial use which tied in nicely with the story. there was no real chance of finding the tank as it's at least 3ft deep to the rear vertical plate (which is now horizontal). anyway we wanted to find the land owner so he went to the adjacent industrial site and asked a business owner. the guy gave the information and then asked if my friend had come looking for the buried tank :) it seems the tank is well known about.

we will contact the landowner on monday and see what transpires!

All the best with your endevors

The trouble with the Covenantor from a collect-ability point of view is surely that it never 'did' anything, it was only ever a training machine, like Cavaliers.

Is this picture not France 1940?

Cheers Andrew.

Probably.....but its an A13. Now I would be interested in restoring one of those.

yes the difficult landowners could have something to do with why both tanks are still laying there but don't worry i have a plan to shock and awe them if things don't work out. basically i will give the exact locations and owners contact details to every tank nutter within my reach and let then grind them into submission :)

However he is old and will die eventually.

When it comes to some, its the only solution. The luck is getting in touch between the time when the old guy who will not sell anything dies and the time his relations call in the scrappy to take it all away.

I was chasing down an original Loyd gearbox and V8 engine, still bolted together as it had been when it was hauled out of the Loyd before it was taken for scrap (sad in itself) a few years ago. He wanted a huge sum a couple of years ago and I didn't need it, so I left it. I chased up this week on behalf of another Loyd restorer who wanted it, only to find that he had spent ages trying to sell it, had no takers, so split it up and sold it for parts to a classic car owner!

Edited by ajmac

When it comes to some, its the only solution. The luck is getting in touch between the time when the old guy who will not sell anything dies and the time his relations call in the scrappy to take it all away!
there should be an app for that :-D

Seriously though, it's extremely hard to get rare items under these circumstances. Same applies to old cars, the family that inherits the stuff either scraps or donates the vehicle and the time window to get in the middle of this is what, a few weeks?

state of play so far.

the denbies vineyard owner has still not repiled to my earlier call, so i will give him a nudge today.

a friend has spoken to the rickmansworth cromwell landowner but got nowhere fast, however as fate would have it another forum member and friend knows the landowner through work and has agreed to approach him on my behalf. when i get more info i will keep you all posted. i don't want these leads to die off and be forgotten about !!!

Several posts ago I mentioned that I had the instruction manual for a Covenanter and a document regarding 9th AD that may have been relevant to the Dorking Covenanter. I am now gradually unpacking all my books and 'bumf' that were in storage due to a severe fire in my work room and stables and so here are some photos of them plus a photo of the original2016-11-15 18.47.27.jpg

2016-11-15 18.46.55.jpg

2016-11-15 18.47.42.jpg

2016-11-15 19.09.33.jpg

no kidding, those manuals are amazing.

I have to ask though, A Panda for a combat unit mascot to Strike fear into the enemy? , not too many people are deathly afraid of Pandas :-D

Hey Rick I hope your Divining rod is in good shape

"they dug for 4 days with a Hymac digger after locating the tanks with a Diviner. We couldn't use a metal detector because they were buried too deep said Mr. Welton.

So according to the article, there is definitely one more there " in really bad shape" that they left, and maybe as many as 2 more on top of that in unknown, un-dug condition.

covenanter dig.jpg

Edited by draganm