Mondays suck!

ratty

Merrily on my way to get an MOT yesterday morning. Filled up with petrol, car purring along nicely when cough---cough splutter---splutter------------BANG! (nice misfire) followed by loss of power, luckily I was near a bus stop and managed to pull off the road then:--

BUGGER! sorry vince you and your good lady will need to wait a while for our ride out!

jag burnt 01.jpg

jag burnt 02.jpg

Merrily on my way to get an MOT yesterday morning. Filled up with petrol, car purring along nicely when cough---cough splutter---splutter------------BANG! (nice misfire) followed by loss of power, luckily I was near a bus stop and managed to pull off the road then:--

BUGGER! sorry vince you and your good lady will need to wait a while for our ride out!

Commiserations Mate, That looks expensive! :-(

At least you got out in one piece. :thumbsup:

What was it, a fuel leak by the looks of it?

Empathetic regards: Mike.

AAAAWWW CRAAAAAP!

Thats harsh... still looks like the damage is mostly engine bay & bonnet...

coulda been a lot worse...

I remember standing at a car boot sale last year watching some poor fella stood by the side of the road as his pristine 1930's Singer Roadster went up completely!

WOW - that must of been scary. Is the engine ruined?

Not Scary Jack F@%*$NG irritating, lost a fair bit of hair off my hands and arms trying to suffocate the fire with a blanket before self preservation made me shut the bonnet and in finest tradition RUN AWAY!

Neil (Have you had a chance to review the actual extent of the damage yet Nigel?? )

There is nothing plastic or rubber left under the bonnet :cry: the engine will need close inspection, unfortunately the bonnet release didn't and so trumpton needed to use their largest pry bar to gain access, their hose nozzle also made some interesting dents in the wing tops:argh:(not their fault really they did need to put the fire out after all).

Then there is the matter of having lake Windermere pumped into the car flooding it up to sill level (getting in to steer it on to the recovery lorry was fun! and got better when the car started up the incline and I got all the water hiding in the dash deposited on my lap - laugh I nearly pissed myself).

Many thanks for the well wishes and commiserations, information on the possible location of spares etc but for now I am awaiting the insurance assessor and the “it’s only worth fifty quid mate it’s an old car” bun fight that’s sure to follow:(.

It's a good idea to have a serious think about the type of fire extinguisher you have in a vehicle.

I nearly choked to death in the cab of one of our tankers. I was going to tip the cab, so I grabbed the powder fire extinguisher from the back of the cab to put it on the floor. I should have looked at it first. The truck windows were shut and there wasn't a safety pin in the fire extinguisher. :shocked: Fuu...... er sorry they don't half bake a bloody mess and I nearly choked before I got out of the cab.

Someone I knew had a Jaguar XK140 that caught alight when the fuel pipe broke next to the exhaust. He leapt out of the car to grab a fire extinguisher which he was unable to get to due to the location of the fire and stood by and watched the fire extinguisher explode and blow a hole in the side of the car. :argh:

Apparently CO2 fire extinguishers create static electricity when the gas leaves the horn..........water fire extinguishers can only be used on substances that are like wood or paper. :-(

Best take one of each with you,..............just in case :-D

I make sure each Vehicle my family owns has a fire extinguisher in it and is replaced every couple of years . This was a result of having stopped to check on what turned out to be a driver who had passed out at the wheel on the side of the road with their foot smashed down on the gas peddle of a still running engine , just as we woke the driver the torchered engine caught fire , We had to flag down a couple of commercial trucks to use their extinguishers to slow the fire until a fire truck finally arrived to finish putting out the last of the flames and chop the battery cables and finish the job .