easter 2009. NEW EVENT.

LeeEnfield

Looking to host an event, to be called, ' Salute To The Forces ', over the Easter w/end, (fri 10th april to mon 13th april 2009), at a location here in east sussex.

At present, my feelings are as its a 'first', holding it as a two day 'public' show,- (sat and sun 11th and 12th), but entrants are welcome to arrive on the fri and leave on the mon.

I'm looking to invite certain reenacting groups, along with the local TA/ Sea Cadets, etc,...........also Free entry for anyone who can show they are either serving or ex forces. :)

As its a 'first', looking to keep cost's as low as possible,........so no petrol money/plaque's, etc.

Anyone interested ??

(would certainly be nice to see a HMVF gathering here. :))

Andy

In theory, yes. Bear in mind Easter weekend is a busy time for events though, if I were planning something I would look for another weekend. Just a thought...

Busy time ??.............I had a (quick) look to see what else, of similar type,event(s) were happening in the south, and couldn't find anything listed.

Certainly would run the risk of clashing trying to stage it later in year, I'm thinking..........

Andy

Edited by LeeEnfield
re-wording reply

Busy time ??.............I had a (quick) look to see what else, of similar type,event(s) were happening in the south, and couldn't find anything listed.

Andy

The Easter show at Chatham dockyard always has a large military entry supported by HMVF members who battled through snow storms to get there this year

Edited by Nick Johns

The Easter show at Chatham dockyard always has a large military entry supported by HMVF members who battled through snow storms to get there this year

true, I s'pose, Nick.........trouble is, pitch it later in year, and there is far more chance of clashing with established military shows,.........as well as steam rallies.

the site in question itself holds a steam event, later in year, so it was felt that although, I'm looking to hold purely Military, a period of time between both events would not sap public interest from either (hopfully)

At the end of the day,.....this year I've been asked to look at putting two events on next year,.............finding gaps is not easy......:sweat:

Andy

Would be good to have a show is sussex well up for it:tup::

My feelings, as well.........:-D

Will be having a meet with site organisers soon-ish, to (hopfully) establish some outline idea's, etc. Most important ones been dealt with though;.......sites got its own PLI for any events held there,............and they're sorting the toilets. :):)

The messages I'm getting from likeminded folk, all seem very positive,..........which is VERY NICE. :-D

Will keep everyone informed of progress.

Andy

Hi Andy - ref the show.

Are you sticking with a 40's event or can you open it to all MV's.

Just thinking turnout may well be up if the show is open to all MVs. You can always have a 40's area and a post war area.

I'm not fussed either way as I have both post war and WWII vehicles but may effect some others.

Just a thought.

Markheliops

I thought it was open to all???

Be a bit awkward turning up in a Stalwart if it is 1940's only..... :)

Sorry - my fault chaps - thought the show title was "Salute the Forties"

It actually reads "Salute the FORCES."

Should get my eyes tested.

i know originally the plans might have been at a local museum but they didnt want people staying overnight

the site that this event is being worked on has no reservations about camping and has quite a large set of fields

plans also for entertainment for the evenings

should be a good weekend and maybee if we can pull it off a visit to a few local atractions

Just a ponderance, but have you thought about linking up with a museum down there and joining forces? You could find that they can provide the venue for free, as it will draw in more visitors and raise awareness, plus you'd have more to offer the punters.

Hi Lauren,

Have approached a couple of wartime related sites, in the sussex area,...one, a weekend,no cost to site owners,whilst they were happy to have show, etc, they wouldn't allow overnight camping, (this was planned as a three era, invite only event, where names, etc would be known in advance.........still no dice), needless to say, I told them where to go, :cool2:

the other, came with SO many if's/buts and umm's,.........I couldn't be bothered with them, in the end.

Site in question, already holds an annual steam rally,.........is a registered charity, and SEEM more than happy to allow me to organise said ALL ERA military vehicle show, there.

I take on board the raising awareness, etc, certainly getting publicity out the the general public, I think is going to be the biggest challenge,.........publicising it to like minded vehicle/military enthusiast's, should be easier via related forums, magazines and clubs, ( I hope) will be much smoother.

Certainly, if anyone local, wants to plan a road run from site, contact me............:)

Andy