Petrol tins

Rlangham

Nice collection of cans. I have a WD can same as the the pictures but dated 1937 made by Valor and an Esso can dated 1943. I think Pratts Motor Spirit became Esso. Should have looked it up on 'Tintanet.' I have got a few British Jerry cans from 1943, '44, '45', '60' and '63. The 1944 can came out of a scrap yard near Tilly in 1994. It is mint and contained some diesel though it was more like grease. All for 8 euro's. I was given 2 'Americans' a few months ago one mint and one with a slight dent. There is a web site dedicated to 'Americans'. It tells you what all the markings are on the base. I thought that 20-5 was the date but apparently it's 20 litres 5 gallons.

Phil

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Hi Radek,

That looks like a Canadian can.

They are i have four very nice ones i need to sell on,they are getting scares now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is an interesting photo i came across on the GWF:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113446&hl=salonika

Scroll down to the bottom and you will see a hut clad in unfolded petrol tins. I would suggest that as we have enough of these between us we could replicate it on the club house.

Tim (too)

if anybody is interested pete gaine has about a dozen cans they are mostly if not all civvi ones mostly green in colour, i had to move them to get to my parts.

you can find his numbers normally on milweb or pm me

he is going to stoneleigh militaria show

Here is an interesting photo i came across on the GWF:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113446&hl=salonika

Scroll down to the bottom and you will see a hut clad in unfolded petrol tins. I would suggest that as we have enough of these between us we could replicate it on the club house.

Tim (too)

This rang bells. After a bit of digging through the library I see a similiar building exists (or did) in Launceston, Tasmania - it was pictured in The Automobile magazine, March 1990, p74.

Hi Tim,

when dad was in India, during the last days of the Raj, he would see temples glinting in the sun that the locals had innovatively fashioned out of "flimsies".

Also, I remember seeing a large piece of furniture on the Antiques Roadshow where the sides had been made out of 2-gallon cans still bearing the Shell logo. It may have been one of the special shows from Australia.

-Roger.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great picture Tim! Nice to see where they came from!

Sorry, hadn't seen your previous posting -is the broad arrow stamped in like the ones in the pictures I posted earlier in the thread? They are usually accompanied by dates.

I think a can-collecting friend of mine has one with a "short-armed" arrow embossed into the handle from underneath. I don't recall if it's dated or not, but believe it to be of later manufacture.

-Roger.

A bit of a long shot but can anyone identfiy the can fitted to the running board when the Crossley staff car was in india, there appears to be a brass fitting of some sort on the cap.

The can currently fitted is different to this one and the brass fitting is also missing. From the 1913 date of maufacture the can may not be military, however I have no knowlage of this subject.

Tom

can india photo.jpg

just sold a month ago a can similar to these in white but about 2" taller than the other tins i have ,, ESSO on the cap and BP on the front , best part about it was the handle unscrewed and screwed inplace of the cap for a spout ,,,,,, anyone else seen this type ? , might have been naval ?

some of them caps could do with a bit of Brasso ,

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics136.jpg

From the 1913 date of maufacture the can may not be military, however I have no knowlage of this subject.

Tom,

If my memory serves me right, these cans were not originally intended for the military. Valor who were well known for paraffin stoves, etc. produced them first, before WW1. Petrol was not available in bulk at that time and was sold in cans. They are usually dated underneath, at least, the mid wars ones are.

I now have a plain two gallon tin with the WD arrow stamped on the handle, but no other markings. WW1 or later?

Is it like this one, Tim? The arrow's a little hard to see due to the shiny paint;

DSC03700.jpg

It is stamped with the date (6-18) and maker (A.P.C. -Asiatic Petroleum Co.) on the end of the handle, as some cans are -often quite faintly.

Also of note is the 1924 broad-arrowed can to the left of it and the Air Ministry one to it's right (one of at least four different types with variously shaped crowns).

Thanks to my friend, Chris for the photo. and details.

-Roger.

Hi Roger

Sorry to keep you. Nice looking tins. I have not seen one like that before. I have just been out in the garage taking photos of mine. As you can see the arrow is quite narrow and there are no other markings anywhere else on the tin:

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

It is all a bit manky i am afraid as the previous owner had slapped a heavy coat of grey paint over it first which i have been trying to get off. Pleased to say that the tin is very sound as i had to use it to hold some petrol i had to drain out of the Jeep in a hurry.