Petrol tins

Rlangham

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is an interesting period photo that will appeal to you. How many different types of can can you identify and why the two tone colour scheme?

I think you put that picture in "Military Machines", didn't you, Tim?!

A bit hard to read the legends on them, but there's at least a couple of "Crown" (a Shell brand) cans in there.

As regards the two-tone colour schemes Mike Berry says in his "Petroleum Collectables" Shire book; "To denote a new grade of petrol, companies would sometimes paint their cans in two colours, vertically." He illustrates it with a letterhead depicting a red Shell can, a grey Crown can, and a red and grey Shell can.

-Roger.

I think you put that picture in "Military Machines", didn't you, Tim?!

You have got me there, bang to rights and no mistake. great photo though eh?

Red and grey, that would fit the photo. What new grades were introduced at that time?

Does the Shires book have a lot of info on petrol tins? In fact is there a petrol tins "bible". If not, thats potentially a great book.

I have been out and looked at the tin. I cant see a "2" on the handle. The light was not great though and i need to clean up the handle some more. A job for another evening.

I will get back to you on that.

Tim

just sold a month ago a can similar to these in white but about 2" taller than the other tins i have ,, ESSO on the cap and BP on the front , best part about it was the handle unscrewed and screwed inplace of the cap for a spout ,,,,,, anyone else seen this type ? , might have been naval ?

Hi Phil, it sounds very much like the type in the middle of this photo.;

Garageauction1970.jpg

Does it have that blue and white bit that looks like a sombrero? Is it a boat?

I recently purchased a similar 18 pint can. It's red with two "ESSO Motor Boat Service" decals on it, but the handle/spout and lid are on what would normally be the side and one end has a folding handle.

This was taken prior to auction in 1970 when my father left the garage business.

Unfortunately I've never been able to trace what happened to the Jeep (which sold for the princely sum of £68! -those were the days!) -as you can see, it was used on trade plates, so not a lot to go on.

Of interest to Cornish historians will be the "bully" -a rounded piece of granite with a steel hook inserted. These were hung on the end of a timber -the other end of which was located in a hole in the wall- and used to exert pressure on pilchards in a barrel to extract the oil. The site of the garage was an old fish cellar and dad found several of these during alterations. But I digress......

Nice polish tin, by the way Phil. I think I've got one without the writing on -had assumed it was for oil, will have to give it a sniff!

Regards,

-Roger.

Yes, great picture, Tim.

You have lots of them and they make very interesting articles -with your help!

The Shires book is nice and well worth having -lots of lovely old pictures and adverts- but it covers all types of petroliania so is not at all comprehensive. I think Mike wanted to produce a book just on cans but the publishers didn't think it would have wide enough appeal to make it financially viable (probably right).

I don't know of any other books, or dedicated websites come to that.

Sorry for making you put your boots back on -must be my eyes.

I find the best, non-damaging, way of stripping cans is a wire brush on a disc-cutter. I use the light ones, not the heavy duty "twist" type ones. Gets rid of every bit of paint and rust. Watch out around the handle -it'll kick back- and also beware of flying bits of wire. I use paint stripper to remove the last awkward bits under the handle.

-Roger.

Hi Phil, it sounds very much like the type in the middle of this photo.;

Does it have that blue and white bit that looks like a sombrero? Is it a boat?

I recently purchased a similar 18 pint can. It's red with two "ESSO Motor Boat Service" decals on it, but the handle/spout and lid are on what would normally be the side and one end has a folding handle.

Nice polish tin, by the way Phil. I think I've got one without the writing on -had assumed it was for oil, will have to give it a sniff!

Regards,

-Roger.

Hi Roger the tin was just like that , do'nt think there was much left on it other that the fuel companys name ,, I do remember thinking it was odd to have ESSO on the cap but a different name on the side ,, will check it out , friend of a friends got it now , ,, The Brasso type pollish was from the same chap that i got the said Tin from along will a tilley lamps and stove ,,, I was hunting for 50's VW parts it a tumble down shed and at the side there were three of these tins (N.O.S) polish , Will be going back soon to help get some more gear out , there's an American MV jeep in the next shed along with more " tins " I'm not sure what jeep or truck it is But he's got a Bedford truck engine to go in ,, he did tell me the bonnet was the same as a 70's ? Grand Cherokee :)

Hi Tim

I think your can with the Arrow only on the handle is a late WWII issue type, the angle of the threaded spout is upright (early/WWI type cans have a more angled appearance), I think under that thick layer of paint on the bottom you would find something like 45 4 or the such like stamped there. I have a couple like that in my collection. These cans with no other embossed writing (Petroleum Sprit Flammable etc) of this era, I think might have issued for use to carry water ?, and probaly would only have had a W painted on them (I have one like this).

Regards Gary

Hi Roger the tin was just like that , do'nt think there was much left on it other that the fuel companys name ,, I do remember thinking it was odd to have ESSO on the cap but a different name on the side ,, will check it out , friend of a friends got it now , ,, The Brasso type pollish was from the same chap that i got the said Tin from along will a tilley lamps and stove ,,, I was hunting for 50's VW parts it a tumble down shed and at the side there were three of these tins (N.O.S) polish , Will be going back soon to help get some more gear out , there's an American MV jeep in the next shed along with more " tins " I'm not sure what jeep or truck it is But he's got a Bedford truck engine to go in ,, he did tell me the bonnet was the same as a 70's ? Grand Cherokee :)

Hi Phil,

apart from a few with smaller spouts, the lids are interchangeable on these cans so could have any brand on it. Shell, BP and ESSO are the most common, but many others exist. Some people just collect the lids -they take up a lot less space than cans. Unfortunately, this makes it harder and more expensive for can collectors to obtain the correct lids for the rarer cans!

The Jeep sounds like an M715. Built by Kaiser-Jeep, it was the military variant of the Gladiator -this being the pick-up version of the Wagoneer, predecessor of the Cherokee.

If it is, there's not many in the UK. Nice find!

Regards,

-Roger.

Hi Phil,

The Jeep sounds like an M715. Built by Kaiser-Jeep, it was the military variant of the Gladiator -this being the pick-up version of the Wagoneer, predecessor of the Cherokee.

If it is, there's not many in the UK. Nice find!

Regards,

-Roger.

thats great Eugene , just done a search on WIKI and thats the one , they seem to have a large rear hub to hold the half shafts ,, bit of a big pickup ,,, what would the value be for them ,, his is in great condition but the cabs stood at the side , not sure if the engine is about , but going by the axel ratio puting the bedford engine in " will make it no faster than a tractor " :nono: , I'll try find some more about it , think its been in this shed over 30 years :shocked: ,,

Regards Phil ,,,

Aside from the two gallon tins as described on the forum pages, what other sized tins were used for bulk carriage of fuel?

I recall reading somewhere of the use of 4 gallon square containers which fitted into wooded boxes or at least a wooden frame, to give them more protection while being transported. On this point my dates would indicate 1920's on for widespread use of 4 gallon tins, so when were they introduced ? Were they date stamped?

I have seen photos of these larger tins opened out and used as a wall cladding on buildings, here in the colonies, in the same manner as Tim mentioned with those of in Tasmania.

Doug

• 5 months later...

Hi guys.

Just looked at the 2 tins I've got . one is embossed " petroleum spirit highly inflamable" on the top and "Valor J U" on the bottom .Paint a bit of a mess so might find more markings when i strip it. Any Idea of the date?

The other is embossed " LIGHT SHALE OIL" on the top and READS LIVERPOOL in a circle around 2-42 on the base. Paint looked as though it was originally white, but also had black and green overpainted. Any idea what this was used for?:nut:

Doug

Aside from the two gallon tins as described on the forum pages, what other sized tins were used for bulk carriage of fuel?

I recall reading somewhere of the use of 4 gallon square containers which fitted into wooded boxes or at least a wooden frame, to give them more protection while being transported. On this point my dates would indicate 1920's on for widespread use of 4 gallon tins, so when were they introduced ? Were they date stamped?

I have seen photos of these larger tins opened out and used as a wall cladding on buildings, here in the colonies, in the same manner as Tim mentioned with those of in Tasmania.

Doug

12 HT Coy ASC were carrying both 2 and 4 gallon petrol cans in early 1915. Apparently they were 'lightweight' metal and very prone to damage. I'd need to dig deep into the filing cabinet but from memory petrol cans were manufactured by the military in France, close to the petrol dump at Calais.

Asiatic Petrol Company was a wholly owned marketing subsidiary of Shell and their distribution plant was a huge base at Rouen throughout WW1, although there was also a huge dump at Calais as well. Shell supplied most of the petrol and aviation fuel for the British war effort, although there is some doubt as to the aviation fuel, which the airmen believed was superior to petrol, although it seems it was often the same as road petrol but in 'aviation spirit' cans. Again, 12 Coy, claim that aviation fuel was no more than ordinary petrol with 'a little oil added', although where they gained that expertise or knowledge is questionable.

Does anyone know where I can get the card gasket for the cap on a 2 gallon can? I seem to remember seeing them being advertised once, but can't remember where I read it. I need some as I bought a WD 1940 can last week and it is usable, but needs a card gasket for the cap.

Many thanks.

Does anyone know where I can get the card gasket for the cap on a 2 gallon can? I seem to remember seeing them being advertised once, but can't remember where I read it. I need some as I bought a WD 1940 can last week and it is usable, but needs a card gasket for the cap.

Many thanks.

Hi, all you need is to cut one from a piece of cork sheeting, as a great number of them are made from this.

Regards

Gary

I have never seen a picture of a four gallon petrol tin in WW1. has anybody got any pictures? Was the WW2 "Flimsy" a four gallon can?

Yes, packed in fours in a wooden crate. Known to be useless when they were first made but at the time it was the only thing that could be made with the facilities available.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For most things you want to know about petrol tins and the general supply of petroleum during world war one a most interesting volume is " The Shell that Hit Germany the Hardest", by P.G.A.Smith, published 'Shell' Marketing, London c.1920. Usually can be found on ABE Books £20/£40. Well worth a read on this particular subject.

Richard Peskett.