Petrol tins

Rlangham

Possibly, the guy with the display did suggest that it could've been the name of a vehicle.

But plants and flowers? not very butch!

Samphire is a coastal plant, was a very prized for medicinal reason, very high in Vitamin C so sought fater by sailors to treat scurvy. Was also a very popular girls name at the time.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a dim memory from my childhood....... that you could make a small, self-propelled boat from a piece of balsa wood with a block of samphire pinned to the back. On contact with water, it would fizz and push the boat along. I remember it as a pellet, possibly used in cleaning clothes.

I can find no mention of this online, so I may be completely wrong but that's what first sprang to mind and at least would make some sense to have some in a tin!

just thought I would throw in my bit, while up my fathers today, thought I would rummage around his sheds, found a US 30 cal ammo tin, a 7.62 ammo tin and this WD stamped 1944 2gall petrol tin.

Somewhere there is one marked M-O-S, will post pic when found

Enjoy

Mark

PICT0003.jpg

• 3 months later...

Enigma, I really think that your red Shell can is 1930 dated. Were they also made post-war ?

As this is supposed to be a pre-war section, here's my 1939 dated Valor

pa160851cb6.th.jpg

Actually I'm cheating because it is December 1939 - the same month (maybe) as my 16H

pa160852tb4.th.jpg

Are the Valour tins petrol tins? Reason I'm asking is the name is more associated with Parrafin devices. Atr the time the British were using Tilley and Bialladin presure lamps. The Doctor's Tilley I had, now in the care of Andy Robertshaw, and the Bialladin I still have are dated 1953.

Are the Valour tins petrol tins? Reason I'm asking is the name is more associated with Parrafin devices. Atr the time the British were using Tilley and Bialladin presure lamps. The Doctor's Tilley I had, now in the care of Andy Robertshaw, and the Bialladin I still have are dated 1953.

The undated ones have petroleum spirit embossed on the top, is that the same as parafin?

No, you definitley do not want to mix up the two. Paraffin is the British name for Kerosene. That's what suprised me, Valour, as those of us of a certain age will remember, used to make the old upright Parffin Heaters. They did sell tins under their own brand name though for domestic market.

That's what suprised me, Valour, as those of us of a certain age will remember, used to make the old upright Parffin Heaters. They did sell tins under their own brand name though for domestic market.

Most of the prewar cans I have, all embossed with oil company names, Shell, Redline, etc. are made by Valor. I would not confuse the issue that they made paraffin heaters, they obviously had a good trade with oil companies for many years, producing 2-gall cans.

I also have a petrol tin that is 1 Gal, it looks a bit like a 2 Gal item that has been cut down, the handle is actually a spout that unscrews and screws onto the filler neck, making it easy to refuel without pouring most of the contents down the side of the vehicle or what have you. Painted red and stamped Petroleum spirit, very useful dont know what year it is though, will try and get a piccie! bought if for a fiver from an autojumble about 5 years ago.