Landrover Gallery.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Anyone know what it shows?

What does it show? Well now I have taken my extra doses of anti-hypertensives, anti-depressants & anti-convulscents I can venture some very restrained comments. This vehicle was once a Mk3 Shorland & has characteristics suggesting it was once part of a batch used by the UDR.

Now I know if you own a vehicle, it is your vehicle and you can paint it whatever colour you like & make all sorts of embellishments to make it different or what is often called “looking the business”, whatever that means.

It is nobody else’s business what they think of it, but I feel if you take it to a show, the public assume what they are seeing is a vehicle as it would have looked in service. If it has non-authentic embellishments I think it should be kept away from real restorations & vehicles that have been legitimately reconstructed to depict an actual role. Otherwise it seems almost fraudulent. I do feel so sorry for some model maker who may go off & make a copy or for owners in the future who will assume what they own is entirely genuine.

The fact that I don’t like this ‘thing’ doesn’t matter, but what makes me incandescent is that it carries a badge of the Union Flag (which is in the wrong place anyway) & a badge of the Royal Armoured Corps. I find it insulting to the UK & RAC that these markings are displayed on a fantasy project to try to give it legitimacy.

I must shut up otherwise I will implode, although it does actually make the painting of wheel nuts in various colours seem a triviality!

Edited by fv1609

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clive, I think that was in the Fantasy class at an MV event over the other side of the pond :shake:

Richard, our postings crossed, but stuff like this makes me feel as outraged as that awful film about the capture of an enigma machine that was contrary to historical facts. A distortion of history that becomes implanted in the minds of an audience, oh I must go & calm down.

Richard, our postings crossed, but stuff like this makes me feel as outraged as that awful film about the capture of an enigma machine that was contrary to historical facts. A distortion of history that becomes implanted in the minds of an audience, oh I must go & calm down.

Clive,

That was one of the worst examples of fantasy. I am with you on this.

I think the traverse issue could be reduced a bit by the use of angle adaptors in the bases on the roof.

But all these bases are clearly excessive.

The most striking thing is the paintwork. High gloss deep bronze green with disruptive matt black! I don't think I've seen another vehicle ever done like that!:eek:

Something about the background in that photo that is vaguely familiar :undecided:

Oh you rotter! OK the game is up that is my Shorland. When it was in RUC service it was Rustoleum Green then Olive Drab.

When the UDR took it over everything from the instrument panel to the road springs was high gloss Deep Bronze Green. The exterior had disruptive matt black & in its final days just NATO Green all over.

When I rubbed it down, I photographed the black pattern & reproduced the same pattern very closely on the repaint. Going to shows I was told by some that this was wrong. It should either be all DBG or NATO Green + disruptive. I didn't mind being told I was wrong by people who had the b*lls to try to put me right, at least I could then put them right & show them the photos.

The frustration was the people who wouldn't tell me I had done it 'wrong'. I could hear mumbles of discontent & suggestions of fantasy painting. But you can't walk up to people having a private conversation & interrupt. I suppose knowing how touchy people can be about their vehicle, they just walked on still thinking what a pathetic restoration.

As for the original comms. There was one VHF whip on the rear off side. I am not sure what the radio was, Commers & Pigs used Pye Vanguards on 108 Mc/s.

The Shorlands went into storage & were vandalised. Whatever radios they had they were removed. The UDR initially used Pye Bantams wedged into the dash, then A31 with the whip up through the turret. Then when the batches of Mk 3 Shorlands appeared Pye Westiminsters with an intercom system switched in.

But mine came out of service with a plethora of antenna mounts & plywood mounting frames inside for various radios. I can only assume it had either a command role or was used in comms experiments.

But to the untrained eye it can look the wrong colour & far too many radios!

Edited by fv1609

Clive,

Is that your Shorland? All I said was the background looked familiar......did'nt say where it was though :(

Yes that is my Shorland. No you didn't really spoil it, I was going to reveal all soon anyway. I was hoping for some overt criticism, but either people are too gentlemanly or not interested in the thread.

Anyway after 12 years I had it running today not withstanding the fuel problem. I'm running it from a fuel can. I replaced the clutch master cylinder, so I could get it into neutral. Dispensed with the screened ignition system, changed the plugs. Turned it over by hand & put on a new battery, changed the flat tyre & I have driven 20 ft (10ft but with a return journey)

Sounds very nice & smooth, no smoke. Not charging but thats for another day!

Clive they are a lovley vehicle, I've always coverted one. Most of them and the Troopers sseeme d to end in the hands of the BBC and CNN painted blue, so wouldn't dare comment on a vehicle with out asking it's history. I dfo have a couple of old PYE extension speackers if any use to you?

Tony I'm not sure that many Shorlands did actually end up in Bosnia. There are lots of pictures of a blue turretless Shorland marked CNN. The reason is that it never did go to Bosnia as there was some export problem & it was for sale for several years. It has recently appeared on the market again painted but green.

Kate Adie & TFI had Glover Webb, Hornets I think they called them, I've got some nice close ups somewhere when they were being serviced. I had a close look at Kate Adie's & was horrified that there was no armoured protection at the front or underneath. Plenty of crew protection but not much protection if you can't drive out of trouble because of a bullet through the engine.

Thanks for offer of Pye speakers but I'm ok for those.

(& yes I know there are bound to be some comical remarks relating to my second paragraph:cool2:)

Ok girls back on topic:-D

xpx0002.jpg

What do we know about this,i have met the driver but all he knew was the basic facts.Any ideas.cheers cw.

Les, I never seen an ambulance with a winch before nor an EMER for it. There are EMERs for winches for Rovers in Wombat role, but don’t know about the purpose on an ambulance.

There are some features that are EMER related that help to date the pictures. The EMERs are not on blue paper, so are not for immediate implementation, but as this is likely to be for the front line service, I assume all the mods are likely to be up to date.

It appears to have a safety harness by the driver’s seat. -Jan 1971

Twin fog lamps – May 1971

Number plate moved to that upper position. – Apr 1969

Red Cross light still present. Removed – Mar 1977

Wing mirror moved to door hinge – Apr 71

So this puts it between May 1971 & March 1977

No doors for rapid exit was an early philosophy on many Rovers. VPK (Vehicle Protection Kit) were conceived in early 1971 some 8 kits had been made for Rover ambulances by the end of 1972.

So I would say these photos were taken between mid 1971 to mid 1972. Am I right?

Edited by fv1609

A couple of shots of the ambulance i believe during modification trials for N.I, have the doors been removed for quick exit.

Looks like a wire grill late 11a to me,pre 1970.and why is it on bar grips

shouldnt it be on xtra grips from 68 on most were .