Landrover Gallery.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see yours suffers the same water marks on the screen. :(

My s1 has the same its those ruddy hooks.act like staligtites concentrating the crap in one place,some of it is probably the galvanising

leaching out.

Ok girls back on topic:-D

xpx0002.jpg

What do we know about this,i have met the driver but all he knew was the basic facts.Any ideas.cheers cw.

Just a reminder i cant believe no one has any ideas about this L/R.

I think it must be a prototype,Its a bit weird as the rear body looks like its half LWB,but the last bit looks high cap.The picture is in Saudi.it has 50 cal mount in rear.The driver was in the army at the time,But i dont think it was british army owned.Its v8.maybe a private company venture ,but who,dunno.thats all i know.

I think it must be a prototype,Its a bit weird as the rear body looks like its half LWB,but the last bit looks high cap.The picture is in Saudi.it has 50 cal mount in rear.The driver was in the army at the time,But i dont think it was british army owned.Its v8.maybe a private company venture ,but who,dunno.thats all i know.

I was holding back, anyway it was from a range of Defenders used as weapon carriers produced by Land Rover:

"We can provide mounts for everything from the 7.62 mm general purpose machine gun and 30 mm canon through to anti-tank missiles like TOW, MILAN and HOT. Anti-aircraft weapons like Javelin and Bofors RBS70 can also be mounted."

App1170.jpg

Edited by fv1609

Mike Stallwood had i think the very first army release,We took it to trialls.it was pritty useless i remember at any thing other than boggy soft going on the flat.But i supose thats what it was designed for.

This is very rare,rumour has it they were for bomb disposal,but have no evidence of that.

lightweightbombdisposalcuthberts-1.jpg

The only pic of an RAF i have ever seen

cuthbertsontest-1.jpg

snowtracklr-1.jpg

A more modern version.lower centre of gravity.

I have never met a military person who drove these,i can tell you it was very worrying sat up there on a side slope.

I have racked my brains trying to remember how we put them together,

I was holding back, anyway it was from a range of Defenders used as weapon carriers produced by Land Rover:

Now is anyone holding back with comments on those two grey Shorlands?

Not me clive,i have allways been surprised that they used L/Rs,i would of thought a purpose built vehicle much better,Remember Land Rovers motto was The Sun Never sets on the Land Rover,Our version was The sun never sets on a broken half shaft.:-DThanks for the picture,The army demonstrating a private companys goods ,interesting.Did they have ENV axles on Shorlands Clive?.cheers CW.

Sorry clive poor english i meant the whole concept not just the LT/WT.

Somewhere I have a picture of a S2 SWB in RAF Bomb Disposal service, I'll try to find it.

Shorland ENV? Yes I think that is what it is called, very spherical diff? But only on Mk 1 & 2 The Mk 3 had a different diff.

Edited by fv1609

Yes thats the diffs Clive a lot stronger than Rover,were rare 20 yrs ago gawd knows where you find one now.Mk 3 probably had a salisbury Clive.

Remember Land Rovers motto was The Sun Never sets on the Land Rover,Our version was The sun never sets on a broken half shaft.:-D.

I did a lot of work on the restoration of the only genuine SAS 110 pinkie in private hands (unless someone knows different!) the front axle was a Salibury with special bigger CV joints and the swivels where machined to suit. These weren't fitted to any other LR product We found this out when we had the bent axle apart and contacted LRs special vehicles and spoke to someone who had worked on designing them, they had a batch in stock left over from another prototype which did the job and so they used them.

I am sure the rear shafts were higher spec as well but don't quote me on that.

This is the giveaway to look for to see if a supposed Pinkie is genuine, just look for the Salisbury and the larger dropped track rod.

This one is RAF Bomb Disposal, note BD on wing and red paint on wing sides.

The wings look lighter colour thats what threw me.The big BD should of been a clue tho DOH.:(