Landrover Gallery.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Bernard when you bought parts for a military vehicle from l/R did you have to sign a document saying you wouldnt export the parts to a foreign power,We did for a 101 steering idler.:shocked:

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bernard when you bought parts for a military vehicle from l/R did you have to sign a document saying you wouldnt export the parts to a foreign power,We did for a 101 steering idler.:shocked:

I didn't get involved in the buying part I was just doing odd jobs for the owner between real work, they didn't have any new CVs anyway, can't remember how we got around that now, I think maybe I was just binding inside before the axle got straightened.

The Armoured 110's used in NI had Sailsbury front axles too. Could have been Snatch or what was before them? Memory is a bit fuzzy this morning. But i remember the advert from Blanchards breaking them for spares.

ENV axles were used on the later FC's such as this one i picked up for someone over the weekend.

2bfc.jpg

I did a lot of work on the restoration of the only genuine SAS 110 pinkie in private hands (unless someone knows different!) the front axle was a Salibury with special bigger CV joints and the swivels where machined to suit. These weren't fitted to any other LR product We found this out when we had the bent axle apart and contacted LRs special vehicles and spoke to someone who had worked on designing them, they had a batch in stock left over from another prototype which did the job and so they used them.

I am sure the rear shafts were higher spec as well but don't quote me on that.

This is the giveaway to look for to see if a supposed Pinkie is genuine, just look for the Salisbury and the larger dropped track rod.

Not quite right mate..... there are three genuine SAS 110's in private ownership, I have one and my mate Barrie Pocock has the other two. The front Salisbury axle was also fitted to the 110 armoured landie, that was also built by Glover Webb of Hamble. The rear axle wasnt strengthend in any way, tho the gear box, springs and shocks were, anlong with the chassis. There are many ways to spot genuine from fake, the axle is one, but these can be bought and fitted to a standard rover. The easiest is the fron anti roll bar, mounts the the front of the chassis, not the rear like all other defenders. the first big give away tho, is all of the replicas I have seen have five speed boxes, all the genuine ones have only 4 speeds......

Hope that helps.....

And heres some Pics of mine from its LRO feature earlier this year.

LRO-SAS-007.jpg

LRO-SAS-135.jpg

And here are some shots of the resto that should show the front mounted Anti roll bar and the rear with missing fuel tank (pinkies had tanks under the front seats, like the series land rovers)

DSCF0240.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0167.jpg

. ENV axles were used on the later FC's such as this one i picked up for someone over the weekend.

/quote]

Not the most popular of LRs but that looks in good order,Wandsworth councill in London had these for lighting repair,gawd knows why,they were all sold off at a small auction in Garrett lane,some odd things turned up there.cw.

.And here are some shots of the resto that should show the front mounted Anti roll bar and the rear with missing fuel tank (pinkies had tanks under the front seats, like the series land rovers)

Nice job mate,those tyres look like the old dutch bar grips,whot are they?cheers cw.

Not quite right mate..... there are three genuine SAS 110's in private ownership, I have one and my mate Barrie Pocock has the other two. The front Salisbury axle was also fitted to the 110 armoured landie, that was also built by Glover Webb of Hamble. The rear axle wasnt strengthend in any way, tho the gear box, springs and shocks were, anlong with the chassis. There are many ways to spot genuine from fake, the axle is one, but these can be bought and fitted to a standard rover. The easiest is the fron anti roll bar, mounts the the front of the chassis, not the rear like all other defenders. the first big give away tho, is all of the replicas I have seen have five speed boxes, all the genuine ones have only 4 speeds......

Hope that helps.....

Thanks Pinkie, as it was spring 1995 when I worked on it, the memory has faded a bit, it was deffo the only one at the time, caused quite a stir in LR circles, another thing I remember is the rear body had not been cut for a fuel filler, the reason for no rear tank always puzzled me when it carried all those jerry cans! we replaced the tub so it is a filled one now and looks non genuine if you spot it.

The build quality was a bit strange as well, the spare wheel carrier was fixed on with masses of bolts but the gunner's seat and harness were fixed to the battery box containing I think three batteries, this lot was only held in place by four rivnuts in the ally floor, no spreaders or chassis mounts and it had pulled right out! Obviously they didn't mind the gunner getting thrown out covered in acid when they hit something hard as long as the spare didn't land on him.

Will try and dig out some more pix.

Here's why we replaced the rear body, it was all a bit bent!

image0.jpg

Yep, I know that one very well. Driven it once or twice, it is know one of the ones owned by Barrie. If I rememberit was also re chassied onto a civvie chassis. It was the first out, sold by accident through the auctions (its VRN is 24KD50), the second (24KD33) came out in about 2000, via a contact on the inside, and mine (24KD58) was amoungst the last, coming out of the scrap yard in 2005 when they were scrapped.

Some have remained inside the system (24KD39 is one of these, but if I told you where it was I would have to kill you....lol). 24KD38 went on long term loan to Land Rover, and can now be seen at the Land Rover experience. 24KD49 went to the Dunsfold collection on long term loan.

All the rest were scrapped in Aug 2005.

Any more pics and a copy of that pic would be great. If you could send em to karl_joynes@yahoo.co.uk that would be super.....

When I got mine, it had already been broken into component parts ready for the crusher. it was all in a pile. Here are some of the parts as received, you can see just how bad it was.....

DSCF0087.jpg

DSCF0085.jpg

underbody.jpg

springs.jpg

Here is me driving 24KD33

karl1.jpg

Here is 24KD49

pinkie2.jpg

And here is a green and black one back in 1994 when they were still in service with the boys..

scan0003.jpg

Edited by sas pinkie

If I rememberit was also re chassied onto a civvie chassis. It was the first out, sold by accident through the auctions (its VRN is 24KD50), 24KD49 went to the Dunsfold collection on long term loan.

The chassis was a bit damaged ns front leg, I suggested a re chassis as I could have copied the reinforcing etc and no one would have known, but the owner wanted to keep it original so an attempt was made at straightening it, that's how it was when he sold it.

The winch and bumper he put on, a bit of bling, not right really, what do you know about the Milan Mount now fitted?

We saw it at Aston Down auctions in a compound with some 101s that had been withdrawn to be sent to Dunsfold to be stripped and converted for the Judge Dread film, somehow it was put in the next auction as an FFR 110 and my customer bought it £1200.00 I think, almost everyone else had it down as scrap and were gobsmacked! Only a couple were after it and one came over later and said something like "So you know what is is then, hope you're not cutting it up!" It must have been sold by accident as the phone was red hot for a couple of days after, guess who?

There was a SAS film on TV a bit later and it was used for some of the shots in a quarry somewhere, I have a tape of that somewhere. The story goes that a couple of guys from the Regiment who were advising recognised some bits of it as the one that was used in the mission they were filming, baybe bu*ll***t.

O,Catweazle, the tyres are Continental Mils......

cheers thats the ones coudnt remember.So is my picture of the one in saudi a prototype of these.?

no, your pic is of the prototype of the ones shown by clive. It is a Jordainian border patrol Vehicle. It was built by land rover and Glover Webb conversion (glover Webb built the 110 Pinkies....)

So grit in eye, The milan mount was on it before Barrie bought it. I have Pictures of it in Pete Greens shed with the mount on it, and at that time it was still owned by the guy you rebuilt it for.

So what happened to the original bumper that came off of it then.

mine has now also got the correct winch on it, It had one originally but the scrappy kept it for his own off road vehicle. I eventually tracked the right type down, including the right bumper, but it came off an ex 5th Airborne Pathfinder.

I also know where that cuthbertson Bomb Disposal Lt Wt picture was taken. It was operated on Orfordness, just off the suffolk coast. The building in the background is now the NT Wardens office. There is an almost identical picture to that in the museum, only it shows another one in the distance, Apparently they had three on the island, and one was left burried out there. Dont know how true that is.......