Antar Gallery

Yes you are right but Foden, I believe, fitted both mechanically driven and Hydraulically driven Darlington type 80's to heavy haulage tractors, essentially the same winch in each installation.

Could be wrong about this one but I think I am right.

Antar Mk3 winch is fundamentally the same as a Martian Recovery winch, same drum and same lay on mechanism. On the Antar it is chain driven from the PTO output mounted on top of the auxilliary/secondary gearbox. There is a de-cluch dog mechanism to free the drum so that the rope can be pulled out manually or with the aid of the small capstan winch. When winching in the handbook suggests using 3rd or 4th gear in the primary gearbox "depending on the load".

On the Martian Recovery the winch has a hydraulic motor connected to a 2 speed gearbox driving the input shaft. It too has the same dog cluch to disengage the drum so that the rope can be pulled out manually or with the capstan winch. When winching in sellecting high in the 2 speed gearbox gave a single line pull of 5 tons with a fast rope speed. When sellecting low this gave a 20 ton single line pull with low rope speed all of course dependent upon how many layers of rope on the drum.

I never actually did any proper winching with the Antar due to lack of a ground anchor, but carried out many winching operations with the Martian. I never had to double up with a snach block. The Martian ground spade was good if there was plenty of room between you and the casualty as it was not full width of the truck, you would drag the Martian back about 10' before there was enough earth built up behind the anchor to get max pull.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the ex Boscombe Down long wheelbase Big Ben/Antar? seen in another photo on the back of a yellow low-loader trailer.

Whilst at Boscombe Down it was re-engined with an AEC AV760 engine.

It's never been owned by Chris Miller.

Does anyone know the location or ownership of this Big Ben? PM me please, if you can help.

8a859e60.jpg

Edited by antarmike

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all

I've been reading through this thread as I had a few hours to spare and was amazed to see pics of this Antar

In the late seventies it used to belong to a recovery company called Albert Road Service Station based in Romford Essex. My first paying job was working for this company after I left school and have memories of washing, checking the oil and going around it with a bucket of grease. The boss did intend to fit an engine from a bulldozer into it because as was mentioned the Leyland 680 was underpowered, but much to our relief he accepted an offer from the company that owned it when this picture was taken. They painted it in the colours in the picture as a promo vehicle parked outside there truck parts place at Rayliegh wier next to the A127 in Essex. There is a few pictures posted on the DT thread that was taken at Albert Road Service Station, of a 981 which les described as belonging to A.I.D. wreckers but that was a nick name for the company based on the owners initials (Albert Ivor Davies) We did not get to use the Antar very often but when we did it turned a few heads. When we had it it was painted red. (I think)

Happy new year all......Steve.

bigrigs.jpg

hmvf3c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
A shot of the Tucker recovery crane conversion

I was posted to 19SQN WSPs in 1966 as a recovery mech. apparently to drive the tucker jib but by the time I arrived the tucker jib was removed and the Antar was put back into sqn. use because there was a shortage of Antars as the major change over was under way (Mk1-2 to Mk3s) we were given a Leyland recovery extra to compensate 34DM75 I think,standing saying was you cannot do that with a Leyland its not designed for that yeh to late! We got the 30 ton axle to test, front and back suspended tow on the Antar, it went back to AVRDE with a good report , never heard or saw anything of it again!