HMVF Statement.

Jack

Well what crazy couple of days and nights.

Black Sunday

As some of you may know that the forum crashed on Sunday afternoon for no apparent reason. It wasn’t because we had been working behind the scenes on the new HMVF but in actual fact it was our hosts who in their wisdom decided to completely delete my account. When I say delete I mean delete – not suspend but delete the whole of HMVF. As of yet I am stilling waiting a clear explanation from them.

WW2 re-enacting forum was hacked at the same time. This would not normally be relevant to HMVF but WW2 Re-enacting forum and HMVF share the same host so may be this why this was so much confusion and HMVF was deleted – I don’t honestly know. My thoughts go out to the WW2 re-enacting forum as when stuff like this happens it isn’t a good please to be – trust me. If we can do anything to help them then we will.

When Joris and I realised what had happened the blood drained from me – rapidly. I nearly wept when I thought we had lost nearly 3 years of serious input and education. To see all of that knowledge gone at a flick of a switch was heart breaking. Not just for me but for every single member as everyone has shared and put so much information, goodwill and knowledge into this place. I was sat here thinking how the hell are we going to rebuild this and should we even bother?!

The site used to backed up by us on a daily bases to save guard everything we have here but our host reassured us that they would do this every night for us ‘all part of the service’ so the last back up we done was 16/17th Jan – hence the Jan dates across the forum. It is great the host does this back up service like all host do but it isn’t much help if they delete your account. This will never happen again as I have here, sat on my desk a brand new 500gb external hard drive – the forum will be backed up daily by our hosts, by Joris and by me both to my office PC and to the external hard drive. If anything like this happens again then we are safe.

Electronic media isn’t infallible as we have all seen – it can all be gone at a flick of a switch. It can be computer heaven or computer hell – all at the press of a button.

I am so sorry that we have lost the information from the last 3 months and I feel for everyone. I am cross that boards like the Plains, Route to Victory, Bunker Bash and Snappers Big Book Project have lost information and please do what you can to bring everyone up to speed.

I am also sad that we have lost the images that we all posted up over the last three months and again please do what you can to replace them. I know it can be a pain but it is your input that makes HMVF what it is – the world loves to see all of your pictures.

The information that was on the front page is safe along with Clive’s Corner as we have that else where – phew.

So what is the future for HMVF?

We took this opportunity to move to the new forum software – you always have to turn a negative into a positive. It is basic at the moment but we do have a new skin for it and you will also see the tabs to HMVF TV and HMVF Video Ads etc etc. We will also take this opportunity to bring in the new front page so please bear with us whilst we do this as the site may look untidy for a day or two.

Once everything is in place we will never need to upgrade again so we can all relax and rest assured that HMVF will not be changing for a long while – it will just keep improving.

Yes some folks have mentioned ‘if ain’t broke then don’t fix it’ but I am not one to stand still and I want HMVF to do so much more – because it can. We can make a difference to our hobby – we can improve it.

So what have I learnt from this meltdown?

I have learnt that HMVF is a good place to be. I have learnt that I have one of the best teams of moderators and Admin on the planet. I have learnt that HMVF is an important part of our hobby.

And I have learnt that HMVF has the most supportive, loyal and the most graceful members of any forum I have ever seen.

Thank you all.

Jack.

Thanks for that Jack:hug::clap:. It must have been a nightmare for you all. So many have contributed to the forum and lets hope pictures and info will be posted up again.

A special thanks must go out to family members of admin who must have had to have put up with several days of grumpiness and swearing coming from computers all over whilst this has been sorted :)

ps I managed to find some smilies but cant get an avatar?

Well done Jack & the HMVF Team . You probably saw my thoughts last night on those who jumped in to criticise and blame you for something over which you had little control . Good luck . Now lets see the HMVF go from strength to strength as it deserves . Onward and upward .

Well.First of all i want to offer my sincere apologies to Jack and the team.It was me who made the comment of(if it aint broke then dont try to fix it)I made the comment due to the fact in the days before the crash,a lot of comments were made and certain parts of the site had changed.I naturally thought that due to changes,someone had gone a bit to far and crashed the system.Yes, it has been upsetting for a lot of people me included.But i think that is due to HMVF being a victim of its on success.Look at it this way.It wont be long before this site is seen as the main point of information on anything in the MV world.even above the likes of Classic Military and MMI.Instead of having monthly news as in these two publications, on here is up to the minute.This forum is one of many that i use.Mainly Sports car and motor racing forums.But it is generally accepted amongst these other forums that on line media is the way forward.So i'm sorry for being a bit off hand,as its here that i come for info and a chat rather than wait for the publications.Sorry for my ramblings.........Must check on Catweazle later to see if he,s ok.Bye for now.

Just thanks to Jack & Joris for producing such a great site. I came back from PC'less leave and thought something drastic had happened to my PC when I couldn't find the site. I was over the moon when I received the e mail to say it was back on line.

Great work chaps

Nige

What the hell were back now

"S**t happens, but don't just stand in it and moan, wipe it off and move on!"

I like that comment..........................................................

...................................now where did I put that dirty old Pink Cushion?..................

Well.First of all i want to offer my sincere apologies to Jack and the team.

Mark - that is very kind and very much appreciated as you could of done this through PM's and apology accepted from all of us. I will now put my tools back in my tool box as I did throw them out.

The drinks are on Lee at the W&P.

Onwards and upwards!

Jack.

Mark - that is very kind and very much appreciated as you could of done this through PM's and apology accepted from all of us. I will now put my tools back in my tool box as I did throw them out.

The drinks are on Lee at the W&P.

Onwards and upwards!

Jack.

Thats Coke all round then Jack :-D