Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

Hi all.

So work on the G3 has been a little slower this week, the wheel rebuilds are nearly completed but I have been having major trouble screwing down in the bearing adjuster ring in both wheels. The threads are clean and greased but after one or two turns the adjuster rings tighten up and only a small chisel and hammer will continue the tightening (Which I am not keen on doing). I am now trying to think of other ways to get these rings tightened.........

A15F7728-1D75-4BF9-A172-DFAEBA757F89.jpeg

Steve, Nice work!, but make sure when the wheel is in the front forks, check the brake achor lip, if just touching the forks (where the bolt goes through), it's OK, but if there's a gap, use a washer as a shim, if too tight, you have to bend the lip back a hair, sometimes this happens, and you don't want the whole brake plate to be crooked and under tension. 

Lex

Edited by welbike

Thanks Ron..

I have hit a bit of a mile stone this week, forks together wheels on, all I need is a saddle and I can start scooting around on it!

I am really please with the the rolling chassis. The forks and wheels are revitalised and much more serviceable. The forks where solid and very much seized when I purchased the project, it’s amazing what a bit of elbow grease achieves. 🙂

43C313E6-8CAE-4F58-B7E1-9FD37DDAF509.jpeg

2A7A967D-C113-4EFA-9580-6F837337ED48.jpeg

8D1E928F-43C0-43CC-8F93-4A55246B2F4E.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/14/2020 at 8:52 PM, flyingfleasteve said:

After hours of felting I still struggled fitting the bearing adjustment ring. I therefore used a partially damaged one and sandwiched a bespoke spacer between that and the the bearing cup. A trim down and clean up and hay prestos! Maybe not by the manual but perfectly serviceable.

6D83C223-9D1F-4359-A990-9BCC82E62CC3.jpeg

Hi Steve,

I’m in awe of how much progress you’ve made on such a short space of time. Mine hasn’t moved since it was delivered unfortunately. 

Just an observation, and it maybe the camera angle, but the spoke at 3 o’clock looks like it might be pulling out of the hub, or wasn’t aligned properly before being tightened up. Might be worth checking so you don’t lose a spike on your first run out, or as you peddle round the garden on it.

Regards,

Tom

• Like 1

Cutting in on Steve's thread and emphasizing my LOVE/HATE Matchless relationship. The clutch cable on my G3 had become pinched/damaged by the left side steering stop and my throttle cable was the type with an incorrect, in-line adjuster, so I've just replaced them both..........Not something I'd want to do on the roadside, even on a warm sunny day, let alone in the rain or dark!!!! Ron

I’m having a Matchless hate day today Ron. I have spent most of the weekend felting, removing/re-fitting/fighting with the rear tinware. The rear mudguard is a repro part and unfortunately poor fitting. Once I improved the fitting of it the remainder of the parts started to slot together much easier. I am now fairly pleased with the end result.......

7C3A26D1-F55A-42E3-8978-3A4A28524E94.jpeg

1AFDB6A7-266C-4F98-98E2-B7FDA7B68FC7.jpeg

305E0704-82B2-4A99-87A9-F33EAB19979D.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes most 7/8" clamps and levers initially used the same castings, so it should be posible to machine them out, I made a special fixture for that, to modify various bits and pieces.

I do remember I found you some stuff Ron, but then lost it again, so I might still have a set, but where???

Lex