Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

44 minutes ago, Ron said:

I saw your ebay link Chris. Thanks! Nice to know that we can just buy the bungies. As Rik just pointed out, it could well be academic anyway as we can't always rely on our parts lists. But with the evidence we have so far, I'm convinced that our 1940 contracts were still fitted with the Lycette bungie saddles.  Ron

No problem ron . I shared that link of thier seat as they didnt have the bungie only for sale but thats the seller i bought mine from i had contacted him and bought only the bungies only as i had the original seat. They are very nice and looks strong aswell.

Chris

I certainly couldn't use my saddle as a reference Rik. But Steve's, probable original and Andrews definite original with rotten bungies still attached are good enough for me. Plus I really should have at least one bungie saddle in the shed!  🙂 Ron 

• Like 1

Hi All, all very interesting information regarding the saddle, this will be the first bungee saddle in my little collection too!

So moving on with my gearbox build I appear to have hit my first hurdle, the gear selector shaft looks to be a very snug fit within the camshaft bush, kick start end, this means I cannot fit the camshaft roller bearings.

I believe that the camshaft bush is the Ariel WNG type rather they the Matchless type, as I understand the WNG type does not require the roller bearings to be fitted?

Is this a rebuild improvement or just a mistake?

I don’t fancy putting it back together if it’s wrong....

52F5B468-DDF8-47E7-93A0-DDFBD6582581.jpeg

Hi All, all very interesting information regarding the saddle, this will be the first bungee saddle in my little collection too!

So moving on with my gearbox build I appear to have hit my first hurdle, the gear selector shaft looks to be a very snug fit within the camshaft bush, kick start end, this means I cannot fit the camshaft roller bearings.

I believe that the camshaft bush is the Ariel WNG type rather they the Matchless type, as I understand the WNG type does not require the roller bearings to be fitted?

Is this a rebuild improvement or just a mistake?

I don’t fancy putting it back together if it’s wrong....

Fantastic!

Thanks gents.....I can crack on with the assembly of it!

I will soon be turning my attention to the construction of the bottom end of the engine. Currently all of the bushes are missing from the timing side, which I maybe able to source from AMC classics, however, I have have a spare set of good bushes in a spare set of cases. Has anyone successfully removed bushes without damaging them or us it better to use new?

👍

I only have a primitive ARC welder set up at present, however, we have a special bond 😉 I have welded many things with it, including cast, so I am sure with enough patience I can weld this up. I have seen that AMC classics have repro replacements but it would be nice to keep an original part, if salvageable 🙂 

Looking at your photo Ron I can see your battery clamp bolt look to have a elongated hex head. Are these available anywhere that you know of?

It does make me wonder sometimes? Since Lex gave me dimensions and now this drawing shows something slightly different. With all the best will in the World, not everything is being copied from an original it seems.  Ron

I'm not sure where my dimensions came from when I told you Ron, this was several years ago, and we had a batch made by Dave Plumb I seem to remember?

I got Arnes drawing after that.

There's not much difference I think? G3L seems to be the same, maybe some shorter round bits? to save weight?

Comparing the 2 factory shots, I now notice that the hinged plate is also different!!!  also weight saving! have to check that on my bikes!

Lex

1941G3L early Oil tank detail.jpg

Edited by welbike
Updated picture

Lex that's another Matchless part they changed without telling anyone! The 1936 part number for the battery carrier and the hinged front remained the same throughout all contracts as far as I can see.

Would you believe it? I've got the wide one on my G3L and the narrow one on my G3. I guess I'll have to swap them now.

Ron