Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

5 hours ago, welbike said:

They are difficult, and I looked for them when parts hunting last monday, but nothing yet! I do have a spare of the little lever, but nothing else, think Ron got my last complete one?

Cheers,

Lex

Matchless Valve lifter.jpg

It's useful that you posted the photo Lex.  I have a 1" G3 lever and clamp which is surplus to requirements. It was ex-dealer stock and had been blasted but hasn't been used. It's in Belgium unfortunately, but if we're quick it can be on its way before Brexit. Send me a PM if you're interested, Steve.

Matchless Valve Lifter.JPG

With a little time on my hands due to the Welsh lockdown I have been cleaning up and piecing the gearbox together ready for painting and installation......new bearings make a world of difference. I have noticed what appears to be a broad arrow stamped on the shell alone with an extremely long gearbox number which I haven’t seen before?

I am yet to find a correct gear lever for the build, is there anything particular about it or is it fairly standard?

D982259A-D610-49CC-BEDA-FEC8A9DAC2A8.jpeg

259695C1-AABA-4885-A4DE-6A539C57239B.jpeg

A7B5B3AF-644E-4427-9BD6-C6025C2975EB.jpeg

F1A3D502-1A3D-4050-B79E-063E3658FAAD.jpeg

9898F931-1534-4C71-91CD-565064017C9D.jpeg

My local bearing company managed to find me a sealed bearing for the output end. These boxes use semi fluid grease, but I still found that it pumped out through the bearing. It was a few years ago now so I can't remember if they had to get the new bearing outer or inner ground to size? Maybe worth an enquiry with a bearing firm. (Darren Wrudd perhaps). 

I wonder if the 1.5.48 is a rebuild date? Ron 

G3 204.JPG

To add to this. Here is an early G3L parts list which shows the CO-92-2 lever with a rubber. The lever on my G3L has the "spoon" end but I can't find this in my parts lists? So please buy me one of those from your source Lex.  Ron

Scan_20201228.jpg

G3L 034.jpg

Hi steve g3 bikes had the bungie jumpers instead of the springs .if you see your seat frame at the back the holes are not drilled circle i saw them for sale on e bay a few weeks ago ill try and find them foe you. If not ill have his address suppose as i bought some for my g3 from him.

Chris