Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

Further to our debate about the horns, I have now acquired (at great expense) a genuine WD WW2 Lucas HF 1235 for my early G3. Therefore the working Clearhooters HF 180 is up for sale £175 plus post. These were fitted to later G3/G3L, RE WD/C, WD Velos etc. PM me if interested. Ron

Factory G3WO UHR - smaller (4).jpg

DSCF3298.jpg

DSCF3299.jpg

Edited by Ron

So today I managed a day on the G3, now that the paint has hardened I started to reconstruct the frame with some of the new fixtures purchased from AMC classics. With the frame now standing I turned my attention to rebuilding the rear wheel. 
Putting the wheel together raised a few quandaries.......

I noticed that the rear wheel axle is longer on one side of the bearing than the other? I assume that the shorted side is located on the drive side?

Would anyone happen to have any photos and or specs. of the rear wheel spacers shown below? It appears I have the following;

Spindle

Spacer, external, right side 36-8-H16

Washer, for solid Spindle STD-229 

But I am missing the rest, unfortunately.

A bit of a head scratch at the moment.....

BF41BF7A-25D8-4098-87AC-A46F23090F36.jpeg

4942D48A-DEDE-40A1-880B-2043056E42E8.jpeg

C51D8EAC-3765-4A53-8873-B1DC86744699.jpeg

FCE0E06D-D47A-44A1-BBDB-BBB18A706F87.jpeg

EACE61DB-026C-4925-AA11-27CF4CCE4FC8.png

Ah, OK, thought the spindles were sorted, I still have NOS short ones I think, but not the long one.

Will try to find the dummy axle stuff today.

The thing Steve encircles on Jan's picture (on left) is not a spacer, it's part of the spindle.

Lex

Edited by welbike

From memory the forks have no bushes for the spindles? Don't they run directly metal to metal?  If the forks wear, I guess they can be bored out and re-bushed, or maybe some slightly oversized spindles could be made as a compromise?  Ron 

No, no bushings, and there's not much room for them either! 

Here a quick sketch of the dummy spindle, the thread is always buggered, but there should 2 two flats on it, to clear the frame fork end, sorry about the one mm. size, but cannot find my digital calipers, I guess it's just a hair bigger than the spindle that goes through it. I will also have a real drawing made of this. also of the forks spindles, but sorry Chris, I'll have to re-measure it all with proper calipers.

Cheers,

Lex

IMG_9619.jpg

Edited by welbike
Updated picture

Lex. That’s fantastic! Thank you!

I am really starting to get an idea now of how the rear wheel goes together......👍

I think I am now in a position to piece all of this together, Lex if you could just confirm the dims of spacers marked 1 & 2 that would be great!

I assume that the nut on the end of the long spindle is no longer sourceable?

68A199BB-774F-4C9C-95E2-3576D220DD61.jpeg

Edited by flyingfleasteve

Steve, others, and then I had many made, but I guess you're just too late, Jan has the drawings from me I guess? or if you have someone local? an investment in a small lathe and some imperial hex bar does wonders here! just bought this very small lathe for next to nothing! 

Hobbymat.jpeg