Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

O ek, I better check my new (old) battery carrier and the carrier I have on my G3L.......

I have ordered some sheet metal and petit welding rods so once arrived I can set to work on reinvigorating the front portion of the carrier.

Tomorrow's job is to complete the dry fit of the front mudguard, I now have all of the components to press forward I just need to figure out where to drill the front mudguard stay and the front number plate pegs.

I thought Lucas had patented that!!! 

Arne, whom I tried to get on here, but he doesn't seem to grasp the idea that this is better than an email list, so I will publish his drawings, (for which I am a big contributor, I just keep sending him stupid little sketches, with sizes) But he cannot easily put inch sizes in his drawings, as his program doesn't allow for it, so you just have to calculate it back, if you want the inches. 

He just sent me 10 more files, with detail drawings, also of the battery carrier, so let me know if anyone needs anything. 

Lex

I just checked the 1940 G3 list and the 1944 last contract G3L list. The front portion has the revised for 1939 number W39 G3 182 in both books, and the back portion has the number W36 G3 181 with a "A" at the end in 44.  (Amended but not sure when).  Ron

Please send me any drawing Lex.    Ron 

Looking at what missing bits I am left to source I am finding it difficult to ascertain which ammeter is the correct type for the early panel tank?

Whilst talking of the panel tank I can see plenty of repro DC40 inspection switches, has anyone got any experience of the quality of the repros? Originals seem few and far between?

Here are some images of G3 ammeters. I assume they would have been Lucas. Mine is an original type but not Lucas. I bought one of the new made "genuine"? Lucas ammeters, but decided to stick with the one I have.

This replica on ebay looks quite good??  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amperemeter-Ammeter-6V-2-Lucas-Nachbau/153918985737?hash=item23d6495609:g:prMAAOSwmjZesCuA       Ron

PS and panel with new made mushroom head  screws that I got copied from the original pictures.

G3 161.JPG

IMG_7889.jpg

130220113701.jpg

DSCF3352.jpg

Edited by Ron

Hey, that's my tank and panel, in one of those pictures! 

I don't think I have the right ammeter in there, but is "period correct" 

Just bought another original switch, but it's in the US, and I have to use it for my G3 there, as the one I have is a bit iffy.

But they do come up once in a while on Ebay.

Cheers,

Lex

Thanks Lex....the before shot maybe missing a few components, I have added a new kickstart bumper.....good spotting on the clutch adjustment screw.....I think I may of been only 1/2 awake this morning...😂

The poor gearbox was in a sorry state when I got it, floating about in the bottom of a dirty box in lots of bits....it’s taken a little longer than anticipated to complete the built of it but it’s imperative it’s just right.....I am pleased, just hope it all works now 🤞

11 minutes ago, flyingfleasteve said:

Thanks Lex....the before shot maybe missing a few components, I have added a new kickstart bumper.....good spotting on the clutch adjustment screw.....I think I may of been only 1/2 awake this morning...😂

The poor gearbox was in a sorry state when I got it, floating about in the bottom of a dirty box in lots of bits....it’s taken a little longer than anticipated to complete the built of it but it’s imperative it’s just right.....I am pleased, just hope it all works now 🤞

They are basicly foolproof! never have any problems with them.

Lex

Just now, flyingfleasteve said:

Funnily enough the last few Burman CP boxes I have touched always seem to be missing the kick start bump stop, it’s only because of the exploded diagram that I noticed I needed it.... you are totally right Lex, the mechanism is so much better with it fitted.....👍

Yes, and now Ron is trying to see throught the filler cap, with a small torch if he has them fitted!!! LoL!

Lex